The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 21, 2014, 05:14 PM   #1
YankeeIronSights

M1 Carbine vs. ARES SCR

Hi Everyone,

I have been thinking of trading my Inland M1 Carbine for a new ARES SCR rifle. The rationale: ammo costs. I can save half the price of .30 caliber rounds by shooting 556 ammo. AR15 rifles are banned in my state but the ARES SCR is still legal to own and uses AR15 magazines and uppers.

The M1 Carbine is a collectible but has become a safe queen due to the high cost of ammo.

I could wait a couple of months, save the money and buy the new rifle, but I suspect more gun restrictions are coming down the pipe in January...

Any thoughts?

My M1 Carbine looks like this one... Similar condition.

http://images60.fotki.com/v224/photo...d_right-vi.jpg

http://www.aresdefense.com/wp-conten...t_Ares-SCR.jpg

Last edited by YankeeIronSights; November 21, 2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old November 21, 2014, 07:36 PM   #2
tsillik

nice looking carbine, should'nt have much trouble selling it!
Old November 22, 2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Pilot

I would start reloading for the M1 Carbine, and keep it. I really have wanted one of these for a long time, but their high cost is a bit unreasonable unless I can find a deal somewhere.
Old November 22, 2014, 09:46 AM   #4
highpower3006

Why not just save your money and buy the SCR while keeping the M1? Reloading is a good way to optimize the money you spend on ammo.
Old November 22, 2014, 01:55 PM   #5
jaytothekizzay

What state are u in? I really feel bad for some of you guys that live in these states with ridiculous laws
Old November 22, 2014, 02:07 PM   #6
amd6547

I see 30 carbine ammo $20 for 50rds...that's not so bad.
Old November 22, 2014, 05:21 PM   #7
AK103K

I think Id keep the M1 Carbine, and save up for the ARES. These days, it would make more sense. A full rifle caliber, with multiple optic options, and high cap mags, whats not to like?

I would also reload for both, if you dont already. More options, and a lot more shooting, for the same money if youre buying factory.

Ive always eyed up the M1 Carbines, even when they were cheaper, but never got past the round itself, and its unusually high cost, even when the guns were cheap. They are cool little rifles, but like my M1's and M1A's, more in the "toy" realm, compared to other things.
Old November 22, 2014, 10:39 PM   #8
barnbwt

Has anybody slapped an AR57 upper onto one of these things, yet? I've theorized that it would make for a very compelling HD gun, just curious if anyone outside the slave states has gotten one, yet. A drop-comb AR has appeal beyond being 'featureless' after all

TCB
Old November 23, 2014, 12:43 PM   #9
YankeeIronSights

Reloading makes more sense every day. Where I live, we are limited to buying reasonably priced ammo at a handful of gun stores. I like my M1 Carbine and getting into reloading is the only way I can justify owning it.
Old November 24, 2014, 11:30 AM   #10
kawasakifreak77

Looks like the AR & a Siaga had a wild night together!

Seriously though. Keep your carbine man, they're just going to gain value & the new plastic rifles will never have the character of wood & blue. You can get or make good defensive ammo for it that's leaps & bounds better than the military ball ammo that gave it such a poor reputation on the battlefield. My grandfather carried one.
Old November 24, 2014, 06:25 PM   #11
dewcrew8

keep it! try looking for a gi carbine now and the price is high ! cmp does'nt have any, save up and buy the other !
Old November 25, 2014, 01:53 AM   #12
Hook686

Reload for the M1 Carbine. the money you save can be banked until you have enough to buy the new rifle. That is unless you can't control yourself with the M1 Carbine and, like me, just end up shooting all the savings, plus some.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old November 26, 2014, 08:51 PM   #13
TDL

Without prejudice to the M1, I have an Ares SCR and love it. But I have it because I live in a restricted jurisdiction.
Old November 28, 2014, 11:13 PM   #14
shaunpain

Like everyone else had said, get yourself an inexpensive reloading setup and hold onto the carbine. My grandfather also carried one in Africa, Burma and India. The SCR isn't going anywhere for a while but you may never get your hands on the M1 again. You will certainly kick yourself down the road if you let it go.