The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 19, 2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Newton24b

relative usefullness

well here is my fun question of the day,

why should we buy a small compact under 4 inch semi auto pistol, and then go buy the 1.20 a round self defense ammunition for it, when every factory and independent lab test concludes that 90% of those defensive hollowpoints needs a minimum velocity to open up, that cannot be provide by that 3.2 inch barrel?
Old November 19, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

1,350fps isn't enough?
Old November 19, 2012, 10:10 PM   #3
jimbob86

My Hornady Customs open up just fine ..... and lose less than 100 f/sec from what was stated on the box out of my EMP (3" pipe).
Old November 20, 2012, 09:40 AM   #4
nathanrw

In self defense every edge you can get is of value. You might not get the velocity out of the shorter barrel for the optimum performance, but it will still out perform many of the other ammo choices out there.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Yeah, that's what happens when you're an enthusiast. Which we all are...we're here for a reason aren't we? I don't know..I think it's marginal differences. When talking FPS of course. A good hollow point is what matters second. Shot placement first. Some of my +p+ rounds in my 9mm's can feel like .40's btw.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:52 AM   #6
RBid

I don't/won't carry a sub. Even my hot weather CCW (Ruger SR9c) has a 3.5" bbl and a trigger than lends itself to fast and accurate performance.

In general, I think people tend to carry smaller than they really have to.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:43 AM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
...when every factory and independent lab test concludes that 90% of those defensive hollowpoints needs a minimum velocity to open up, that cannot be provide by that 3.2 inch barrel?
I find this statement dubious. What caliber, loads, and firearm(s) are we discussing here? Who did the tests and when?

Most recently-published ballistics tests using modern JHP loads in the major combat/LE calibers (9mm, .40S&W, etc.) seem to have the exact opposite success rate- most shots do open up, even when fired from short barrels through intermediate barriers such as auto glass.

The 90% failure rate echoes tests published in the 1980s, but bullet design has come a long way since then.
Old November 21, 2012, 06:59 PM   #8
vyse.04

I'd say it's simply for peace of mind. IMO most people do not research the pros and cons of buying ammunition, and that comes from my experiences at gun shops. The vast majority of people I have come across go into a shop, and eat up whatever the guy or girl behind the counter says (mainly for gun purchases). Right or wrong, that information is taken as the gospel.

And in the current market with 439 different types of SD loads, I think convienence comes in to play as well. I may only buy ammo at a particular store, and that said store may only carry Critial Defense (or insert whatever brand). If that brand shoots well, I as a consumer may not even consider anything else.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:25 PM   #9
45YearsShooting

Invalid premise. The 9mm hollowpoints do open up when shot out of 3-inch barrels.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:33 PM   #10
JimDandy

Quote:
In general, I think people tend to carry smaller than they really have to.
I know! But I carry as big as they make. Hiding a government model isn't that hard really.
Old November 23, 2012, 10:54 AM   #11
Warrior1256

I believe Hornady Critical Defense will work well for most barrel lengths.