The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 11, 2012, 07:42 PM   #1
MagnumWill

Am I missing something (SBS)

Hi guys. I was driving home yesterday, and started thinking of this. (has nothing to do with driving. Sorry, I digress).

A lot of companies have been developing AR pistols, AK pistols (Dracos), the PLR-16 from Kel-Tec. Seeing how these are pistols that mimic their original rifle configurations- can this rule be applied to, say, a Serbu Shorty? What excludes them from this rule and makes them Class III? Caliber? Action? Please enlighten me.
Old April 11, 2012, 10:10 PM   #2
David Hineline

All handguns require rifling, so smoothbore hand fired weapon is Any Other Weapon.

If it had a rifled bore it would become a destructive device as it is over .50 caliber.

If you build one up in rifled barrel .410 caliber you would be golden, they call those

Taurus Judge, S&W Governer, and others of the like.
Old April 11, 2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Superhouse 15

If I understand it right...

If it's rifled and over .50 it's a destructive device and thus NFA. If it's a smoothbore and has always had only a pistol grip it's an AOW, smoothbore pistol, and NFA. If it has, or has ever had a stock it's an SBS and NFA. The Serbu is only a pistol grip so it's the best you can do at a $5 transfer.
Old April 12, 2012, 04:24 AM   #4
Willie Lowman

The Serbu Super Shorty is a smooth bore pistol. It also has a vertical fore grip. Those two things put it solidly in AOW status.

...And they are a lot of fun!

Old April 21, 2012, 12:20 AM   #5
MagnumWill

He heh! Me want.

So that's good, I was worried the Serbu was an additional couple hundred for tax.