The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2011, 07:44 AM   #1
thump_rrr

L.E. Wilson/Sinclair Stainless Ultimate Trimmer

Has anyone here had a chance to use this trimmer?

I'm thinking of buying one because it can also be used with inside neck reamers.
It uses case holders so it costs about $12.00 per caliber more than a conventional trimmer.

I'm only going to be using it for .308 for the time being so it's not much of an issue at this point.
Old December 3, 2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The Wilson design is probably about the most consistent trimmer you can get, and has less wobble and better consistent squareness of the case mouth to the case body axis than other lathe-type trimmers I've tried. I've got one in plain steel that I've had for twenty-odd years. The case holders do pick up surface rust from you fingerprints after awhile, so the stainless version isn't a bad idea.

I think the Sinclair stand is a worthwhile addition for either the stainless or the plain steel Wilson trimmer. I use a clamp to engage the foot of my stand to my bench when I'm using it. The hold down clamp for the case holders is also a good idea as holding them down by hand occasionally lets the cutter grab and bump a case out of alignment as your hand fatigues.

I think the stainless version may be exclusive to Sinclair. Check Bruno Shooter's Supply for other accessories. Their prices are sometimes a little better than Sinclair, but their selection is smaller. Also take a look at the C&H version of this design. It's a little different, but has the clamp built-in for about the same price as the Wilson with no stand. I haven't had an opportunity to use one, so I can't say how it compares exactly, but C&H has a good reputation and it looks very similar in the pictures.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 3, 2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Ozzieman

I was lucky, we had a Sinclair store here in Indiana where it started and the people working the counter were very knowledgeable people. (They have since closed their walk in store when it was sold several years ago).
I picked up the Wilson sizer. Several things to get. Get the additional platform kit Sinclair offers it’s well worth the money and doesn’t require it to be mounted to the bench. Also it has a hard plastic piece that can be removed for cleaning on the stand that looks like a small hockey puck this helps get the finished case out of the holder by hitting the end of the case to the puck.
Depending on how many cases you’re going to length size,,, get the tool that will allow you to attach a cordless drill. When you set down and size several hundred cases like .223 without the power adapter the center of your palm will hurt like whatever.
Keep the case holders well lubed when not used for a period of time and then clean them before use. Also I keep all of mine in larger pill containers.
Great tool and well worth the money.
PS that’s not rust on the trimmer, reflected light.
I also agree with Unclenick The Wilson design is probably about the most consistent trimmer
I find it to be extremely consistent.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...rimmer-Cutters

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...rm-Kit-Save-5-

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old December 3, 2011, 04:45 PM   #4
old roper

I have the older model just need to update to the Shark-Fin and I have mine on Sinclair trimmer platform and I clamp it o the bench. I also have couple of the carbide cutter and VLD case mouth tool and I've upgrade the handles.

Haven't use their inside neck reamers I've never been sold on using one that will change neck thickness I much prefer to use a neck turner. Their inside neck reamers are .0025" and .003" over bullet dia so 308 reamer would be .3110" and.3115" and you have to use on fired case.

Don't get me wrong I use inside neck reamers but there the bullet dia.
Old December 3, 2011, 04:59 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Inside reamers remove the "dreaded donut", especially after necking down a parent case several sizes for a wildcat. But outside turning on a mandrel is more accurate for controlling wall thickness and is the way to go after any donut is gone.

I never had any problem with my palm getting sore from trimming length. It's the tool than profiles primer pockets wearing my thumb and index finger sore that would get to me. Does a dandy job, though.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 3, 2011, 06:56 PM   #6
old roper

The Wilson neck reamer was never meant to remove the donut. Here the spec on it

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...on-Neck-Reamer

The special inside neck reamers that Sinclair has is stock for the tight neck rifles over repeated shooting the neck get little thicker it was just a quicker way of turning necks as the reamers are smaller than bullet dia.
Old December 3, 2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Kevin Rohrer

I have one w/o the cool base. It works fine and is very accurate. Unfortunately, I have lots of military brass to trim, so my Christmas present to myself will be a Giraud power trimmer. Tis better to give than to receive.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 3, 2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Nomadicone

I have been buying Sinclair and Wilson equipment since the early 80s when I shot benchrest. I was buying from Fred Sinclair when he was working out of his garage. I can tell you anything made or sold by either of them will be of the very best quality.