The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2009, 01:13 AM   #1
jdscholer

Case Trimming-Lee vs RCBS

Well I finally got to the point where I had more cases that needed trimming, than ones that didn't for my old 218 Bee. Over the years, I've obtained the Lee trimmers for all of my cartridges except this one; don't think they make one.

Sooo, I haul out the old RCBS Rotary Case Trimmer that has been collecting dust for awhile and sat down to do 800 some cases ---WHEW!!!:barf:

I hooked the electric drill to the thing to take some of the work out of it, but still spent the better part of the afternoon hunkered over the project. In the process, I realized just how much I prefer the Lee trimmer system. I haven't tried any other brands, but between the Lee and RCBS, here's what I notice.

The RCBS collet which clamps on the case rim, pulls the case more or less farther from the cutters depending upon the tension you use or variances in the diameter of the rim. This makes for inconsistent trim length, varying by a few to as much as 5 thousandths. The Lee system with it's through the case rod seems to regulate the length much more accurately.-- there is no possible variance unless you don't tighten the rim in the shell holder.

Another thing I found when checking the lengths, which was often, was that the the freshly trimmed case mouths weren't always squarely cut with the case. Not by much mind you, but a little out. I might not have noticed it on a longer case, but on the little Bee, when held between the jaws of my calipers the mouth was often a little high on one side - low on the other-- oh whatever. I haven't ever noticed this problem with the Lee which orients the cutter on the axis created by the mouth and the flash hole.

I also use the drill with my Lee Trimmers, and don't know if I'm any faster with one or the other, but I know that I spent more time checking and readjusting with the RCBS than I normally would with the Lee.

I guess what I'm saying is if ya haven't tried the cheap little Lee trimmers ya ought to try one for at least one of your cartridges and you might find that you like it. jd
Old March 23, 2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the tip... I have an old RCBS trimmer I inhrited from my father in law, he had it rigged up for a drill as well... & I decided I really didn't like it, as I could only get within 5-7 thousanths doing 223 cases ( I noticed a difference by how much torque was applied to the collet handle as well, & even though I tried to repeat them all the same, I couldn't get any better repeatability than .005 )... right now my prefered way to trim is with a trim die in my press, using a flat file... but I'm looking for something more versitile, or faster for cases that don't need to be exact each time
Old March 23, 2009, 07:15 AM   #3
SL1

Ihave had exactly the same experience with the Lee and RCBS trimmers.

If I could control the length, I would prefer the Lee. But, it makes just one length.

I modified a Lee case holder base so I could hold THAT in the RCBS collet, and then put my cases in the Lee holder. That solved the problem with variations in length. I can now use the adjustment on the RCBS cutter shaft to control length.

To control the out-of-square problem at the case mouth, I have to cut each case twice, rotating it in the Lee case holder 180° between cuts. Usually, that is sufficient, but in a couple of cases, I found that I had to make more cuts at more intermediate angles to avoid a scallop at the case mouth.

So, I keep looking at those expensive Redding trimmers that rotate the shell instead of the cutter and wondering if they solve the out-of-square problem.

Anybody have experience with the Redding trimmers?

SL1
Old March 23, 2009, 07:33 AM   #4
Sam06

Give the forester case trimmer a try. They work really well. I know this is going to send some guys into orbit but I like the old style trim dies, the kind you use a file on. They are simple and when used properly you can really get the brass where you want it. They are fast too once you get used to them.

NASA we have lift off..............................
Old March 23, 2009, 08:28 AM   #5
jdscholer

The thing -one of them- that I don't like about the file die is that it puts a full length re-size on the case, and on my 218 it seems like a very radical one; smaller specs than my sizer die.

I'm not a strict fan of neck sizing, but on this particular cartridge I have found that it works best. The Bee and some others like it head-space on the rim instead of the neck. When I full length size and push the shoulder back, I get a lot of case separations at the web. Since I started raising my sizing die up and barely sizing the case, the problem has pretty much disappeared.

Just talking about this makes me wonder about making a chamber cast for this rifle; and others. Seems like that would tell you exactly what length ya should trim to, and might be the ticket for the guy trying to eek a little more accuracy out of his reloads. I'll admit that my trimming has always been about simply keeping my cases in the "safe zone".

Anyone got any input on chamber casting? Maybe we oughta start another thread. jd
Old March 23, 2009, 10:47 AM   #6
Alleykat

I'd suggest your contacting Lee, to see if they'll make a pilot for .218Bee. They'll usually make custom parts like that at a reasonable price. I easily modified a .223 pilot to trim to 1.740", rather than the "standard" 1.750". (For using the RCBS X die)
Old March 23, 2009, 11:41 AM   #7
SL1

Can't you just grind the tip of a .22 Hornet piot by about 0.058" and use it to trim the Bee cases? I think the pins are long enough that sortening one by that amount would still let it clear the case head when you insert it through the flash hole of a Bee case.

That would be cheaper than ordering custom from Lee.

SL1
Old March 23, 2009, 03:12 PM   #8
jdscholer

It's not the pilot that's the problem, it's the shell holder. The only shells with a rim like the Bee are 32-20 and 25-20 unless I'm missin something.

Thanx for the comeback guys, I'm gonna come up with something. jd
Old March 23, 2009, 03:24 PM   #9
SL1

Lee makes a shell holder for the .25-20 for their case trimmer. It is their product number 90121. See here:
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/casecon.html

Or you could use their "3 jaw chuck" case holder that holds all case sizes. Their product # 90608.

SL1
Old March 23, 2009, 07:14 PM   #10
jdscholer

Thanks again, SL1. I'll probably order that 25-20 trimmer and turn the pilot down to my required diameter and length in the old Oakie lathe. (electric drill and bench grinder) jd
Old March 23, 2009, 07:24 PM   #11
SL1

On the phone, I think you could talk Lee into a .25-20 shell holder and a .22 Hornet pilot. That would require less machining. But, you might best check that the pilot CAN be shortened by 0.058" or whatever without contacting the inside of the case.

SL1
Old March 23, 2009, 07:40 PM   #12
CrustyFN

I only load one rilfe caliber, 223 and yes the Lee trimmer is the bomb. It's very fast and easy to use. I chuck the lockstud in a battery drill and trim and chamfer/debur all using the drill.
Rusty
Old March 23, 2009, 07:55 PM   #13
Inspector3711

I have a Forster... Love it.
Old March 23, 2009, 08:35 PM   #14
jdscholer

Quote:
On the phone, I think you could talk Lee into a .25-20 shell holder and a .22 Hornet pilot. That would require less machining. But, you might best check that the pilot CAN be shortened by 0.058" or whatever without contacting the inside of the case.

Yeah, that would be the way to go to get a good fit on the pilot-case mouth shoulder. If I had to turn the shaft to lengthen the pin on the other end I could without too much trouble.

In thinking about this, I realized another benefit of the Lee system. The pilot pin automatically cleans the flash hole in the process which other trimmers don't do. jd
Old March 23, 2009, 09:09 PM   #15
Namerifrats

I prefer the Lee system as well. Only problem I've had so far, is converting 9x19 brass to 9x18 size by trimming it down and resizing. I use the lock stud in my drill, and the ball cutter. I tighten the lock stud with a pair of channel locks and still have the drill actually twist a case out of the shell holder. It's doesn't damage the case, just aggravating because I have to re tighten it.
Old March 23, 2009, 09:47 PM   #16
jdscholer

I use my Lee trimmer backwards. I chuck the cutter in my 1/2" drill and spin the cutter instead of the case. If you try this, you might not have the case-spin problem. jd
Old March 23, 2009, 10:11 PM   #17
Namerifrats

Might try that. I have the cutter for using in a drill. Never used it though because I figured it would be too hard to hold on to that little lock stud. How do you hold yours while trimming? Also, do you usually have to use a tool to tighten your lock stud or do you just go finger tight? I've just started using it, primarily to trim down all that 9mm brass.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:47 AM   #18
jdscholer

I don't use any tool to tighten the lock nut. I have the knurlled nut which gives me a good grip and between that and the shell holder and the case I guess I'm able to hold it all together. jd