The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 4, 2006, 06:58 PM   #1
5whiskey

Inaccurate Savage

I have a savage rifle that I have had for a few years now. The rifle shoot pretty good at one time, but now after 2 or 3 shots it all goes down hill. The rifle shoots everywhere now. It has bipods on it, and after looking real close, and can see the stock flexing and touching the barrel once I'm "right tight and down" (that's the shoulder pressure I use, I'm too used to 240g T&E's). My grip does keep the barrel from rising up and the bipods from coming off the ground when I fire it. I'm pretty sure the inaccuracy is from the stock coming in contact with the barrel at the front. I've shaved some off the stock, but I think it needs reinforcing or rebedding to really solve the problem. The stock is fiberglass. Should I use a grip that doesn't flex the stock so much, or is this a problem that needs fixing regardless.

Thanks all,

For we who are strong ought to bear the
infirmities of the weak, and not to please
ourselves.
Romans 15:1
Old January 4, 2006, 09:12 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

sand it out first and then bed it

Sand the forearm out first until you can stick a couple of business cards between it and the barrel. I wouls suggest bedding any rifle that exhibits changes in groups.

Get a wooden dowel that fits that barrel channel without going halfway into it. Wrap some 80 grit paper around the dowel and sand it out. You might even need to use a barrel scraper if the lower part of the forearm is what is contacting the barrel. Good luck with it.