The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2008, 10:40 PM   #1
DaveInPA

RCBS Range Master 750 scale problems

Up until tonight my Range Master scale has been working perfectly, but it started giving me some problems tonight.

The zero is wandering (it'll wander between 0.00 and 0.4 grains all on its own). I also used a 69gr Sierra Matchking bullet to check it a few times, and it was measuring it anywhere between 68.6 and 69.4 grains. So basically it's acting goofy. I calibrated it multiple times. It was turned on for about 5 hours, so maybe it was just running too long?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Old December 20, 2008, 12:31 AM   #2
LHB1

Dave,
Are you using your Rangemaster with the 9V battery or 110 converter? Might be a difference/problem with one but not the other. RCBS booklet for1500 Chargemaster scale mentions these possible problems with electronic digital scales:
- Breezes/air currents
- Plugged into circuit with fluorescent lights or operating under them
- Freezing temperatures (damage to load cell)
- Pressing on the platen (damage to load cell)
Old December 20, 2008, 12:40 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I will add that simply plugging the 120 VAC adapter into an AC Line that is shared by electrically noisy loads, such as fluorescent ballasts or brush-type motors, can cause all sorts of trouble for your scale. My AM radio picks up plenty of garbage from my PC. So keep the scale away from computers, as well.

Leaving the scale on for a long time, if it is under AC power, should actually tend to stabilize it. My Aculab scale actually keeps its load cell under power any time it is plugged into the AC line, even if it's turned off at the power switch. Electronic devices in general are more reliable if they stay at one stable temperature within their operating parameters.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 20, 2008, 12:42 AM   #4
DaveInPA

I have it plugged in with the power supply. There are fluorescent lights in the room, but I don't think they're on the same circuit as the outlet the scale is plugged into.
Old March 21, 2009, 02:51 PM   #5
brush_buster

rangemaster 750

I've loaded 10 shells with mine and now when I atempt to calibrate it I get an error message when I add the big weight.
Old March 22, 2009, 10:29 AM   #6
James R. Burke

Unclenick is right. I warm mine up for about 45 minutes or so. Then I calibrate it just to make sure, then check it again with the weights. If you cant find the problem give RCBS a call or return it to them. They will fix it free, but you probalby need it now so I can feel for that.