The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 26, 2012, 02:04 PM   #26
RLWII

This past Christmas I was shopping at our local Academy Sports. First stop was in the Golf department. While looking around was approached by a very nice, polite middle-aged lady, who asked my opinion on some golf club sets for her two children. Since no clerks were around I offered my advice and she ended up buying two sets of clubs. Then went to the gun counter. Normally I would not interject in a transaction. On this occasion however the customer had already picked out a handgun he was interested in but I overheard him ask the clerk two questions about that particular model. The clerk (Christmas help??) could not answer either question but I knew the answers so I spoke up. A little more discussion and the customer bought the weapon. Everybody walked away happy. I feel like butting in with opinions is one thing, but helping with a question was not being out-of-line.
Old June 26, 2012, 02:26 PM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

Do you mine to keep out customers? Sorry!

Anyway, the one time I butted in on a truly stupid conversation at Cabela's, both the clerk and customer looked at me with such hatred, I think I'll pass.

The guy wanted a pump shotgun with blanks. That's so he could first rack and then shoot a blank - the clerk suggested adding rubber buckshot. So I spoke up.

I guess, it would really depend on the depths of the moral depravity before I spoke up.

However, looking like an old wise man - I get spontaneous questions.
Old June 26, 2012, 02:34 PM   #28
huntinaz

Quote:
Anyway, the one time I butted in on a truly stupid conversation at Cabela's, both the clerk and customer looked at me with such hatred, I think I'll pass.

The guy wanted a pump shotgun with blanks. That's so he could first rack and then shoot a blank - the clerk suggested adding rubber buckshot. So I spoke up.
I can only assume you recommended some good law enforcement "riot quality" bean bag loads, right?
Old June 26, 2012, 02:53 PM   #29
BarryLee

Quote:
As I said earlier I generally mind my own business, but once in a LGS I did speak up. A guy was actually looking at knives and based on his comments it was obvious he had little experience. The sales clerk kept trying to get him to look at the Spyderco line and he refused saying they looked funny. So, in an attempt to be helpful, I told him that I owned several and they were excellent knives. The guy looked at me with such anger I wondered if he had somehow misunderstood what I said.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 26, 2012, 08:34 PM   #30
TheBigO

Well I am glad to hear the feedback and that I was not jumped by everyone for keeping my mouth shut on this one. I think in my head I would do a better job selling guns then most of the counter staff I run into, but then you will always have the joy of running into the guy that knows it all too- I have watched these types operate at the gun counter as well. The sales guy doing their best to help- nothing they say is right and you would think that the buyer was a lead designer at Sig or Remington for 20 years. I guess that it takes them all-
Old June 26, 2012, 09:19 PM   #31
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I'd say that merited some serious butting-in.

I once had it out with a guy who was trying to replace the bullets in his father's gun with blanks. He felt that dad was getting on in years, and that he might be a danger to himself.

Bear in mind that the son had no intention of telling the father the gun was loaded with blanks. I refused to order the blanks, and I found out a week or so later that another shop had accomodated him.

In cases like that, I wish someone had chimed in.
Old June 26, 2012, 11:04 PM   #32
Justice06RR

If I was in that situation, I would not butt in on the customer-employee conversation right away. I'd wait till the new customer is alone and approach them with my advice.

LGS employees will almost always push a particular firearm depending on their views and store training. they are almost never the best source for first time buyers IMO.
Old June 27, 2012, 12:27 AM   #33
Maximus856

I've only thrown my $0.02 in once, not counting times where I have let someone know I liked a specific model they were checking out. Even than that is few and far between.

The one time however, was at the PX on Lejeune where they sell firearms. A lady was working behind the counter, and I was there just browsing through the cabinets when a guy started asking about stuff for home defense. He pointed out a lever action, and asked what it was. I forget the model, but it was in .45-70. When the lady said something along the lines of a pump action shotgun is more common for home defense, he said 'no way, .45 sounds awesome, Ill be able to shoot through walls with that.' She sort of insisted one the shotgun or one of the semi-auto pistols. Still, he wanted that "45 rifle." Since I was standing right next to him, and he kind of had the attitude that this lady didn't know a thing, I politely suggested a 12 guage is common and for good reason. I told him about the one I own, and briefly told him why a .45-70 lever rifle in a town like Jacksonville was not the most ideal. After that he started asking about the Mossbergs. I also suggested he look into some sort of training beyond the annual rifle qualification...

If it wasn't for the fact that it was on base, I don't know if I would of said anything. Sometimes you have to police your own though!

-Max.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:36 AM   #34
Yung.gunr

I would have to agree with a couple of people so far.

With the example gunplummer gave, the salesman's incorrect information was dangerous so absolutely step in.

Otherwise, it is the customer's own fault for not doing their homework. Now I'm not advocating to take advantage of people who don't know. Just that people need to be responsible for their own actions, or inaction in the instance of not researching.

Also, if the customer is a friend I feel you are responsible to give advice only once on that specific subject.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:52 AM   #35
Woody55

Well

I mind my own business. If someone wants my opinion, they'll ask.
Old June 27, 2012, 10:35 AM   #36
HiBC

My LGS situation,small shops where the owner/operator is both knowledgable and honest.

I absolutely keep my mouth shut unless I'm asked a question.

I am in the man's shop,its his enterprise.His house.He either has integrity,or why would I do business with them?

In a big box store,with clerks trying to pretend they know something,I still keep my mouth shut,with one exception:the reloading aisle.
What I do to answer novice questions about loads is show them the load manual section.I will encourage them to use it as the source of information.
Old June 27, 2012, 06:49 PM   #37
Glenn E. Meyer

This is my favorite customer/ clerk interaction.

In Austin, there is a well known high end gun store. Nice stock, expensive with the mix of clerks. Some posturing, stereotypes, nasty - some friendly.

So this young man comes in with his lady friend. He has an SKS which he wants to modify. Takes it to a clerk (seem him before - blood lust, laughing good ol' boy, looks like lard tub). Asks him about the mods. The guy bellows: If you do that you will go to Fedeeeeraaaal Prisoooon!

Guy says: But I looked at AFT blah, blah.

Tub: YOOOOUU WILLLL GO TOOOOO , blah, blaaaah.

Guy: You are a biological waste disposal orifice.

Leaves.

Tub says to whole store: He called me a bwdo (see above).

That's how to help customers. Previously I saw Tub trying to sell a snubby to a good ol' boy. GOB says - it only has 5 shots. Tub says - well, in TX if you need more than one - you ain't doing your JOOOOB. GOB chortles, buys snub.

Fun to watch. But if you worked for me - adios.
Old June 27, 2012, 06:57 PM   #38
rickyrick

I don't particularly like the gun counter chatter at all of the big box stores. Usually just a bunch of "mines bigger than yours" and "I'm the awesomest tactical guy" type BS. I just get my box of "just Good enough for varmints" bullets and hit the register.

I heard that, unsolicited, unsolicited I say, when I picked up a box of .223 vmax from a cocky sucker leaning on the gun counter. In a tone that told me that he didn't think varmint hunting was a good enough past time. He probably wouldn't make it too far from the truck without crapping himself.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:03 PM   #39
Joe_Pike

I never say anything, but I love to listen to the wisdom. It gives me something to laugh about. My favorite, and I have a difficult time not saying anything, is when the guy behind the counter is trying to push an Airweight or Airlite S&W snubbie in .38 or .357 to a small woman that has never fired a gun. I can't think of a faster way to get them to never shoot a gun again.
Old June 27, 2012, 09:29 PM   #40
Gunplummer

If you really want to start something to talk about, how about guys at the range that like to give lessons on everything you have laying on the bench.
Old June 27, 2012, 09:34 PM   #41
rickyrick

@gunplummer

I can only imagine, but I haven't been to a range in years upon years.
Old June 27, 2012, 10:47 PM   #42
TheBigO

hahaha Gunplummer is right- it's like the same group of know it all people just making the rounds. When I am at any range- I keep everything bagged- shoot then unload and re-bag. Its like keeping open meat away from the flys- if you just leave it out on the table they are going to come around.
Old June 29, 2012, 09:58 AM   #43
htshot

The best I ever heard was a lady came in and said she wanted a hand gun for protection but not to large a caliber because she did not want to hurt anybody.The salesman said they did not have any guns like that and sent her on her way.They All Hurt.
Old June 29, 2012, 10:52 AM   #44
zincwarrior

I will say I have been asked questions at the range on multiple occasions, and I have butted in there if they have a jam that won't clear, that sort of thing.
Old June 30, 2012, 05:34 PM   #45
83v45magna

deleted

Last edited by 83v45magna; July 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: deleted
Old July 2, 2012, 12:52 PM   #46
Bond007

I try not to be intrusive, but I did this weekend echo the salesperson's advice that the pistols they were showing to two new buyers were all great. I let them know that I own one and love it, my father owns another and loves it, and pointed out a fourth option to consider from the sales display.

Luckily, my LGS has honest, knowledgeable staff who don't need to take advantage of anyone to make their sales. I've let more than a few people know they're in good hands when they look overwhelmed at the counter.
Old July 2, 2012, 02:31 PM   #47
JerryM

Mind yoir own business.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 2, 2012, 02:57 PM   #48
Backwoodsboy

Although I generally mind my own business I did have one encounter in which I was in my lgs and was about to purchase my singleshot handi rifle in .243. The salesman just did not want to take an answer of no when he suggested"moving up" to a rem 700 in .243. I finally had to tell him that I knew what I wanted, and the handi rifle was it, if it was a problem I would take my business elsewhere. He quietly obliged and as he was getting the paperwork together another customer asked my opinion on a savage 220 bolt action 20 gauge. Seems the same saleaman was pushing a semi auto 20 on him. I told the customer that in my opinion.the 220 was one of the most accurate shotguns out and it had my vote. As I was leaving with my new gun I heard that customer tell the clerk its what I want and thats it. Made me smile knowing I helped someone out. Since that time that lgs gives me whati want no questions asked
Old July 2, 2012, 02:58 PM   #49
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
So, yeah, it can run both ways. If I were in the OP's shoes and I thought dangerous or illegal advice were being given, I might step in. Otherwise, let the sales guy do his job.
Same here. I've stepped in on occasion when ultra-stupid was being preached, not particularly caring what the counter guy thought, but most times I'm just biting my tongue and shopping.
Old July 2, 2012, 11:45 PM   #50
chack

deleted

Last edited by chack; July 3, 2012 at 12:18 AM.

Tags
buying , gun shops