The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 19, 2010, 04:48 PM   #1
spencka

CWP Training

Hl and Merry Christmas!!

My first post! I am interested in obtaining a CWP and was wondering of anyone could recommend where I might find qualified instruction? I live in Central Florida area - I am a Marine Corps veteran, but it's been over twenty years since I've handled a weapon - I'd just like to recieve the training and have an opportunity to wipe the dust off so to speak!

Is there some directory available that lists classes?

Thanks
Steve
Old December 19, 2010, 04:56 PM   #2
BILLtheDJguy

It depends on what town you are in, and whether you are willing to drive for a "better" class.
If you are near enough to Bushnell in Sumter Co. there is a local gun shop called, Strongside Arms, there. Their # is 352-568-0017.
Mike Strong is the proprietor and offers a great class. He is a former MP sniper and has been a law enforcement officer for several years.
He is also a custom 1911 and AR platform builder. I have taken a few of these and this one is by far the best, most informative class to date.
And the range time is 'until you are satisfied', not the one shot and you're done type...
Old December 19, 2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Sefner

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

For NRA classes. I'm not sure if NRA classes are sufficient for your certification, but there they are
Old December 19, 2010, 06:58 PM   #4
MLeake

My parents also live in central FL...

... and they used East Orange Shooting Sports. I think it's off Forsyth RD, between University and SR 50.
Old December 19, 2010, 09:45 PM   #5
spencka

Thanks for the responses folks - Bill, I live in Titusville, on the east coast of Fl., near the Space Center.

Sefner, thanks for the link, but I didn't see anything regarding concealed weapons training. Maybe I missed something?

I'm a little surprised that there is no registry for these types of classes, or maybe I just haven't looked in the right place yet!

Thanks!
Steve
Old December 19, 2010, 10:22 PM   #6
Sefner

spencka,

That links to classes held by NRA Instructors. It isn't a "concealed firearms" course, but in some states (like Michigan), the NRA's "Personal Protection in the Home" combined with "Basic Pistol" qualifies you for the concealed pistol license.

It may be different in Florida.
Old December 19, 2010, 10:29 PM   #7
spencka

Thanks for clarifying Sefner! I'll have to check on the law for Fl.
Old December 19, 2010, 10:32 PM   #8
BILLtheDJguy

There are several courses that qualify for the training requirement for a Florida CCW...Most gun shops will either offer the standard class or know who does.
Old December 20, 2010, 08:21 PM   #9
qdog425

hey all you have to do in fl is take a gun safety course then make an appointment to get your CWP. go to http://licgwed.doacs.state.fl.us/index.html this is the state web site to take a test to see if you are able to get one. then you call the number and make an appointment, take the same test and get your CWP in about 3 weeks. i did this back in augaust, carry alot now. hope this helps out. if the site comes up wrong and pm me.
Patrick
Old December 21, 2010, 12:07 AM   #10
rdx4me

Just about every gun shop in NW Florida offers Concealed Carry Courses....

Your DD214 qualifies you to obtain your CWP.

You can always get your permit and THEN attend whatever shooting course that you feel will sharpen your skills.

Or are you more worried about the legal aspects of CWP?

BTW - Dept of Agriculture is who does the testing. Don't even bother downloading and filling out the papers on-line.

I went down with all that and ended up having to do it all over on the Agriculture computers they have set up for this.

Digital finger prints and passports photos are also included in the cost - $117 is what I paid.

Semper Fidelis.