The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 5, 2009, 07:13 PM   #1
szissman

Mosin Trigger Slop

New to forum here... looks like a good group!

I just bought a Mosin M91/30 and the trigger mechanism seems fouled up.

If you were to point the muzzle toward the floor with the rifle cocked and then pull the trigger, you would first experience about 1/4-inch of trigger travel before encountering the seer spring (that is, no spring tension whatsoever: just free-floating trigger travel), and then another 1/4-inch (or so) of travel under seer spring resistance before the seer disengages from the bolt.

First, is this normal? Yes or no, how do I make that slop go away?

Second, my trigger has a hole in it that I don't see in online photos. Is this second hole factory, or did someone try to smith the slop out of this thing by inserting a pin that limits forward trigger travel?

Having a little trouble embedding a pic (though I think I have successfully attached one), but click here, if everything else fails, to see the my trigger and its two drift-pin holes.

Thanks for your help.

Sol

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mosin-Nagant trigger 002.jpg (7.2 KB, 25 views)
Old February 5, 2009, 11:21 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sounds about normal for a M-N trigger. You can probably make the slop go away, but why bother? Get used to it as part of the thrill of owning a milsurp. I have no idea what the hole is for; maybe it is on other guns, but I have never seen it before. As you say, maybe a previous owner tried to take out the free travel or reduce the trigger pull.

Jim
Old February 6, 2009, 01:11 AM   #3
szissman

Okay, just for grins I slipped a small finishing nail into the 2nd hole that I mentioned above and re-assembled the rifle. The slop is completely gone. I now encounter the seer spring immediately, which, I'm sure, has caused the seer to retract a little bit from its pre-firing position within the bolt.

The trigger pull (under pressure from the seer spring) has been shortend from roughly 1/4-inch to about 3/16-inch.

I "dropped" the cocked rifle on its butt five times before it finally fired on it's own. I haven't performed this test without the nail in place so I don't know if the rifle will fire under such conditions in its original configuration. This "seems" safe enough, but it would be interesting to get your feedback.

Also, if anyone's interested in seeing the assembled product and how the hole + nail has solved this problem, just let me know. Essentially, the positioning of the hole--once the nail is passed through it--prevents the trigger travelling further forward than the point at which it comes into contact with the seer spring.

Thanks,

Sol

PS: Yes, I plan to replace the nail with something more suitable.
Old February 6, 2009, 02:13 AM   #4
noyes

me no see extra hole
several trigger pics in this link

http://www.surplusrifle.com/russianm...mbly/index.asp

is the firing pin adjusted properly ...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/...ring/index.asp

trigger adjusting

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...gger/index.asp
Old February 6, 2009, 03:59 AM   #5
szissman

Keenan and Noyes, thanks for your replies.

Noyes: Take a look at the pic again and you'll see a red line that points to the extra hole I wrote about. Thanks for the links too. Yes, the firing pin is adjusted correctly. Also, I tried the shim trick but that doesn't solve the problem of the 1/4-inch of unsprung trigger travel.