The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 8, 2006, 11:40 PM   #26
gmatov

Mike,

I just put it in the player, paused it to go pee, saw your post and turned it back on.

Gets good a minute in when he knocks the cojones of the Frenchie up into his gut.

I gotta hunt to see if this was based on a book, back to the credits, the book's always better, 4, 8 , 10 hours of readin', and they make an hour of movie, just the highpoints, although this movie, dammit, sure does flow from scene to scene.

Just paused and stepped through, first pistol looks like a brass .36, second like a Dragoon.

When he shoots at the bucket, I can only count to 2. That's about 2200 feet, 700 yards, +. Still, pretty damned god.

When they dump him off the wagon, and the wagon takes off, and he shoots, it's close to 5 seconds, a mile plus, mebbe, what with wiping the blood out of his eye.

All in all, a pretty good movie. 'Specially if you consider all the crap that is out there.

Cheers,

George
Old February 9, 2006, 07:53 AM   #27
Remington kid

George, Did you catch what revolver he used when he shot the boss in the end? It looked to me to have an open top and an octagon barrel and not real big, I was thinking maybe a navy???
When The girl was shooting the Dingos in the cave I'm sure that was a walker and I liked the way they showed her using the ram when re-loading it.
When he had the shoot out up on the hill from the ranch it looked like one of them had a pocket revolver of some kind that was stainless or nickle???
Old February 9, 2006, 08:23 AM   #28
Old Dragoon

He used Marstens second pistol. One of the pair I believe they were '51 Navies.
Remember Marsten sent the redhead kid to get his second Gun to give to Quigley.

"I said I never had much use for one....didn't say I didn't know how to use one."

Yeah another one I watch once a month or so. Or everytime it's on Encore Westerns.

Darn it. Now i gotta put my copy in the player and watch it again just to see the guns.... The Scottish guy with the tam is using a in the white fluted Cylinder Colt..I thought it was the 44 Sheriff but wasn't engraved.
Old February 9, 2006, 09:26 AM   #29
Remington kid

George, Yesterday I was doing a little shooting----not much , to cold out! I have an old sat. dish and hung it from a tree and shot it with my Navy .36 with my casted pure lead .380 balls and 25g. of Pyrodex "P". I'll tell you this! I would not want to be on the receiving end of that thing. It left six large holes in that steel dish and they looked like they were shot from a .45 My guess is that the lead flattened considerable on impact before exiting.
For some reason I haven't been shooting well at all lately, not the guns fault because it's that way no matter what I'm shooting. Guess we all go through a slump every now and then. But when I hit that dish dead center and left a group about the size of a softball at 20 yards with two holes almost touching It made me smile again Mike
Old February 16, 2006, 12:23 PM   #30
Ruger4570

I was watching some Cowboy show on TV the other day and realized one or two of the actors were using Rugers. There was a close uo of the reveolve and you could plainly see the distinctive Ruger flat faced hammer without a firing pin. It ruined the show for me...I switched to Star Treck at least I KNOW every weapon on there is non existant in the 21st century
Old February 16, 2006, 10:37 PM   #31
gmatov

Ruger,

You gotta watch out on Startrek, at least TNG, Data likes to go to the make believe room and go to western themes. (I forget what the heck it's called. Just know it's "End simulation". Well, no kidding, the Simulator. Couldn't think of the word.)

Might find an out of its time revolver there, too.

Cheers,

George
Old February 17, 2006, 08:01 AM   #32
Remington kid

You can bet that Custer would have been happy to have a few Star Treck weapons or wish he could have just said "Beam me up Scotty and hurry!"
Old February 25, 2006, 07:03 PM   #33
NACO64

Colt and flogging a dead horse

Speaking of Colt, movies, and accuracy, I understand it's really not inaccurate to refer to Samuel Colt by the title "colonel", nor is it inaccurate to refer to the late purveyor of fried chicken the same way. It still irks every time I hear it out of Alan Rickman's mouth, though.
It would be sort of like referring to our president by his separation rank (that is, before his honorarium as C-I-C). But then there are a lot of folks with a piece of paper in hand or on the wall validating a title accorded by privilege in lieu of merit. as for me, I disdain "lance" and "candidate", both of which are accurate, neither of which serves me. Maybe I should get closer to politicos?

naco
Old February 25, 2006, 08:19 PM   #34
James K
Member In Memoriam

Who said Colt and Winchester guns "won the West?"

Well, er... Colt and Winchester ad writers, that's who.

Jim
Old February 25, 2006, 11:03 PM   #35
gmatov

NACO,

You mean lance as in lance corporal?

That's like the sweet young thing who met a major general and called him major, and, after she left, his friend asked if he didn't mind being addressed as Major?

He said, "Not nearly as much as I'm sure the Rear Admiral she's talking to now minds HIS address."

Mike, when you mentioned in the other thread that you were missing the target, I didn't realize it's from 3 weeks back, as in your thread from Feb 6, above, just thought it was the past few days from the other thread. Be over there shortly to see what you got to say.

Cheers,

George
Old February 26, 2006, 07:16 AM   #36
Remington kid

George, I was going to give it a try again today but our weather is going to hell again this morning. Maybe a few more day's off would be better anyway. Mike
Old March 2, 2006, 12:33 PM   #37
Ozzieman

Ruger4570 I know just what you mean

Last year I bought a Beretta Storm carbine. This winter I was setting watching TV with my wife when she turned on Battle star Galactica (she watches it a lot).
Well I’m setting there reading when she says, “Look honey,,, there using one of your guns”
I really liked that gun until then, I still have it and shoot it, but I am waiting for the day some one at the range walks up to me and says “Oz did you buy that cause they use them on Battle star Galactica?”
"&$^%#&$*#$&&*# NO!"