The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 28, 2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Mainah

Wet 870

I spent yesterday hunting in a light to steady rain, my 870 Magnum Express got wet. When I came home I took the barrel off, dried the everything, applied a little lube, and kept the barrel off for the night.

I just put the barrel on and the slide is really stiff and stubborn. Is it possible that the wood is swollen? How can I remedy this? Thanks.
Old October 28, 2007, 11:02 AM   #2
GoGo

My guess would be to let it dry out good. Then switch the stocks to synthetic if you are going to be getting it wet again.
Old October 28, 2007, 04:09 PM   #3
Mainah

Good advice, thanks. A buddy recommended a coat of linseed oil. Second straight rainy opening day, I should of thought it through a little more.
Old October 28, 2007, 07:12 PM   #4
chris in va

And if you go the synthetic route, why not just get a Knoxx Compstock. Comes with the forearm piece too.
Old October 30, 2007, 12:12 AM   #5
Ruger4570

Linseed oil on a Remington finish will never dry. Linseed is probably the LAST thing I would use on any gunstock and I have built many from scratch and refinished more than I can remember. Remington uses a DuPont synthetic finish, not an oil finish. It may be possible your gun sucked up some moisture, but beleive me,, linseed oil is not the answer.
Old October 30, 2007, 11:26 AM   #6
sjsfire

Same thing happened to me about 10 years ago. My forearm on my express swelled up and I couldn't operate it. Good thing I had a backup slug gun. Unfortunatly when mine dried out I had a nice hairline crack right down the middle of the forearm. I bought a synthetic Remington replace set, butt stock and forearm from Cabelas for about $80 if I remember right. Every gun I own now that I hunt with has synthetic stocks and forearms
Old October 30, 2007, 11:47 AM   #7
Mainah

Thanks, it's better now, just a little sticky.

Ruger, thanks for the linseed info.