The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 11, 2012, 11:08 AM   #1
LSDillinger

How to sell my Stevens?

I have a Model 124, it's in decent shape, what would be the best way to sell it? I know my local pawnshops won't recognize it as 'vintage' and will just try to rip me off, as usual. Is this something that would be good for a gunshow or an online auction?
Old September 11, 2012, 01:30 PM   #2
JimDandy

Gunbroker and the like might work for you. If you have a Cabelas nearby, I'd give them a try as well, especially for a long gun.
Old September 11, 2012, 04:30 PM   #3
SauerGrapes

Quote:
I know my local pawnshops won't recognize it as 'vintage' and will just try to rip me off, as usual.
Private sale will be your best bet. Be it internet, auction or classified ad. If you go to a gun shop, they will appraise the value for what they think they can get for it in their shop. Then give you 1\2 {+or-
]of that value they put on it.
If it is something they know they can sell quick, you may get a little more.
If it's something that's a hard sell, you'll get less or they may say, "not interested".

If it's a collectable firearm, there's a buyer. If it's a run of mill{"vintage"} shotgun, don't expect too much.
Also, know the laws in your state for selling firearms. Selling across state lines has other regulations you need to follow.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old September 11, 2012, 05:13 PM   #4
BigJimP

No disrespect intended....but a Stevens model 124 isn't a sought after gun / or a gun that most guys are looking for ....retail values, even in very good to excellent condition in my area are around $ 100.

If a local shop offered you $ 50 - $ 75 for it, I'd suggest you take it.../ even selling it privately - except as a parts gun ...its hard to believe you'll get any more than that....not that you shouldn't sell it...

your potential pool of buyers is really small on an old gun like this ...vintage or not ...in my experience, there isn't any value there worth fussing with...
Old September 11, 2012, 05:53 PM   #5
PetahW

IMHO they're exactly the right sort of gun to donate to a "new' shooter - maybe somebody in your family, that's just starting out.

OR............ look around for one of those gun buy-back programs - which sometimes will give $100 in food credits, etc.

Old September 11, 2012, 08:28 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

Have you considered selling it through a trustworthy local gun dealer on consignment? I don't know if I would want to deal with the public sale of a gun when not too much money is involved.
Old September 12, 2012, 12:00 AM   #7
big al hunter

There is a firearms sales list in this forum. Go to the forums page and go all the way down . List your gun for what you want and se if you get offers. You can specify details and your requirements for sale.