The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 23, 2013, 03:41 AM   #51
JimDandy

I can't help but wonder who was the more exasperating VP to his President... Dan "Potato" Quayle, or Joe "Two Shots" Biden.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:18 AM   #52
TDL

Quote:
I can't help but wonder who was the more exasperating VP to his President... Dan "Potato" Quayle, or Joe "Two Shots" Biden.
I can't think of a single president or candidate, with the exception of Reagan, that picked a sober VP.

Seriously the VP's job is to act as a campaigner for the presidential candidate. In the past couple of years we have moved to a permanent political campaign. (something the GOP doesn't understand in the least).

Biden isn't talking policy, he is politicking, even though neither he nor Obama will run again, he is campaigning. Their entire strategy is to win congress in 2014. Once you look at the actions of the administration from that point of view, everything makes sense.

Last edited by Tom Servo; February 23, 2013 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Might have a grain of truth, but worrisome
Old February 23, 2013, 08:08 AM   #53
Sarge

I don't know a thing about Biden's background or education, but I can assure you he is not stupid. He is an actor, playing a role designed to win the trust and affection of blue collar working folks. He only has to appear as intelligent as the dumbest guy on a bar stool at that little beer joint three blocks from the Ford factory.

He plays his role well and his 'get a shotgun' comment plays well with working stiffs, farm folks and even a few of us who have used a shotgun in an anti-personnel role and know what it is capable of. Do you need thirty rounds to defend your castle? Probably not. Biden is hoping nobody gives it any thought beyond that point.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:39 AM   #54
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, shooting it in the air is a hoot!

Even my antigun friends think he is stupid on that one.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:07 AM   #55
Hunter Customs

Quote:
According to a USNews.com article, if she followed her husband's advice, Jill Biden could be charged with aggravated menacing, a felony, and reckless endangering in the first degree.
Reading the above maybe Joe don't like Jill.
He's definitely a piece of work.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited by Hunter Customs; February 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:40 AM   #56
Glenn E. Meyer

Biden Shotgun Advice Draws Quizzical Response

By JACKIE CALMES

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...er=rss&emc=rss

--- I post this because a NY Times blog ends with the quote that Joe is a moron. Now how about that!

Neither the left or the right think Joe's genius mind shone through his hair plugs.

Oh, I should infract myself - I don't like Joe at all.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:49 PM   #57
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Well, shooting it in the air is a hoot!

Even my antigun friends think he is stupid on that one.
Some years ago a friend was having trouble with a grandbaby-daddy who got mean with his daughter (who still lived at home) and threatened to shoot the rest of the family. I worked for the sheriff and we both lived out in the county, about a mile apart. So I stopped to check on them and when they invited me in, I saw his old 870 leaned in the corner of the 'mudroom'- where farm folks get out of their muddy clothes when returning home.

I said 'Looks like you're ready _____. I've got some extra 00 Buck in the car if you need it.' He says "Naw, there's quail loads in it. (Local Police Chief) told me if he showed up, to just shoot over his head, pepper his car and call you guys."

Once we got that sorted out, I visited the idiot who provided that advice and sorted him out, too.

I don't like Joe either, but I don't underestimate his understanding of his audience. That shotgun comment had the potential to appeal to an amazing range of country folks, fudds and liberals who shoot, but fall for that 'sporting purposes' BS. We can all be thankful his hoof-in-mouth moment ruined that to some degree.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:30 PM   #58
Sarge

We are going to have to start calling this guy 'Back-fire Joe', LOL.

Quote:
The woman whom Vice President Biden urged this week to “buy a shotgun” for protection says the idea would likely backfire and suggested that the advice sounded sexist.

Biden made the recommendation during a Facebook chat on Tuesday, saying he has advised wife Jill to stand on the deck of their rustic home and fire the family's double-barreled shotgun in the air, should she sense an intruder.

“It was poor advice, and it comes off a little sexist,” Kate Ernest, the woman who got the advice, told Fox News Channel on Friday.

(more after the jump)

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2LkREjX5S
Old February 23, 2013, 01:36 PM   #59
pax

A little sexist? She's polite.

The sheer misogyny on that side of the gun discussion has been disheartening, to say the least.

pax
Old February 23, 2013, 02:54 PM   #60
Spats McGee
Staff

So, ummm, now that the the Pentagon has changed its stance on women in combat positions, ya think Joe will recommend that all of our women in the armed forces should turn in their M4s in favor of double-barrelled shootguns?
Old February 23, 2013, 03:01 PM   #61
KBP

2 shots is NOT enough!

Just saw this and I bet Joe would really get excited with this shotgun! Come to think of it, I would like one! Check it out! http://olegvolk.net/blog/2013/01/21/...rom-shot-show/
Old February 23, 2013, 03:08 PM   #62
pax

Mas Ayoob and Dave Workman have both weighed in on Biden's comments.

From Massad Ayoob:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massad Ayoob

Defending your home against (predictably multiple) home invaders with a two-shot weapon is rather like being forced into a boxing match alone against multiple opponents in the ring at once, and agreeing that you’ll stop punching after you’ve swung twice. And if you’re going to just use it as a noisemaker, the way the VP supposedly told his wife to do, it follows both your punches in that full-contact, bare-knuckle fight are gonna just have to be shadow-boxing “air punches.”
From Dave Workman:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Workman

While the firearms industry is no doubt grateful that the vice president wants to boost the sale of double-barrel shotguns – he didn’t advise buying pumps or semi-autos – there are no doubt legions of volunteer firearms and hunter education instructors cringing in every corner of the nation. Folks who operate advanced firearms training schools, such as Thunder Ranch, Firearms Academy of Seattle, Insights Training and Gunsite Academy would advise other courses of action, and graduates of those courses might be pounding their heads against walls.
The only objection I have to Workman's comment is his use of the word "might." This thread shows that he should have used a more definite word.

pax
Old February 23, 2013, 03:12 PM   #63
Tinner666

This lady needed 9 shots.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/polic...defense/nFB7g/
Old February 23, 2013, 03:52 PM   #64
adamc

Quayle was NOT trying to take your guns away...
He was just dumb......

Joe is dangerous, dumb and trying to take your guns away

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old February 23, 2013, 05:05 PM   #65
Yankee Traveler

Quote:
Biden isn't talking policy, he is politicking, even though neither he nor Obama will run again, he is campaigning. Their entire strategy is to win congress in 2014. Once you look at the actions of the administration from that point of view, everything makes sense.
Copy that.

Quote:
I don't know a thing about Biden's background or education, but I can assure you he is not stupid. He is an actor, playing a role designed to win the trust and affection of blue collar working folks. He only has to appear as intelligent as the dumbest guy on a bar stool at that little beer joint three blocks from the Ford factory.

He plays his role well and his 'get a shotgun' comment plays well with working stiffs, farm folks and even a few of us who have used a shotgun in an anti-personnel role and know what it is capable of. Do you need thirty rounds to defend your castle? Probably not. Biden is hoping nobody gives it any thought beyond that point.
Not to mention, he has plenty of well informede people working for him. How many threads have been on this forum alone asking the best choice of HD weapon? Amongst the responses, how many are "shotgun"?

Now, I do not claim to be any type of expert, but all one needs to do is netflix an old western to see that the old guy with a tobacco stained beard armed with a double barreled shotgun was always the first to go. While he was attempting a reload after two misses.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:44 PM   #66
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Traveler
How many threads have been on this forum alone asking the best choice of HD weapon? Amongst the responses, how many are "shotgun"?
Actually, quite a few... and if you browse the shotgun forum, the topic of using a shotgun for HD comes up all the time. Whether it's the "best" or not is a matter of opinion-- there are a lot more factors than just how many and what kind of rounds you want to be able to fire at an intruder. And I think it's easy to overlook that a shotgun -- a plain-Jane pump model -- is probably the best "bang for the buck" for people who don't have a lot of money to spend. I'd rather see someone get a $200 pump gun at a pawnshop, and use whatever money they have left for ammo, training, and shooting time, than have them spend hundreds for an AR or a decent handgun that they then won't be able to afford to train with -- if they can afford such a gun at all.

So Mr. Biden is not only giving poor advice about gun choice, being sexist, and advising behavior that's likely illegal -- he's also being classist and discriminatory toward poor folks by telling them they're supposed to go out and buy double-barreled shotguns -- last time I looked, they were just a tad more expensive than pump guns...
Old February 23, 2013, 05:46 PM   #67
mrbatchelor

Joe Biden Thinks 2 shots is enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy View Post
Or a divorce....
Those two shots are to alert the Secret Service detail. You never know what else they might be doing.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:53 PM   #68
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamc View Post
Quayle was NOT trying to take your guns away...
He was just dumb......

Joe is dangerous, dumb and trying to take your guns away
Hold on. Dan Quayle was inarticulate, no doubt. But he was the only conservative on the ticket those years. At least in my opinion.

Now I'll shut up before I get this thread locked.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:25 PM   #69
Yankee Traveler

Quote:
last time I looked, they were just a tad more expensive than pump guns...
Last time I looked...Oh, I haven't. I know I cannot afford a Holland & Holland.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:25 PM   #70
Glenn E. Meyer

Joe should go to an event like the NTI. I mentioned this before. We had a mystery gun stage. You had to house clear with a double barrel coach gun. The trick was that you were in a hospital like gown to simulate getting out of bed in your PJs or ...

So you had no pockets. You did have a box of shells - bird and slugs mixed. Then you faced a slew of humanoid knock down targets. So manipulating the gun, reloading, trying to distinguish between round type, etc. was quite the stress challenge. One set of targets were at a distance, so you were supposed to figure out which was a slug to load that. Forget it, I just shoveled in what I had and shot away. Not being familiar with the gun, I kept forgetting the safety came on when you reload. There was no hint about that.

Then you faced two down a hall way and guess what a third was on your flank. I butt stroked it in the head. I suppose Jill would be up for that instead of having a full mag of 223.

She's a PhD, IIRC, and can't figure out an AR? Geez.

If you shot a warning shot in the air, you probably would have been DQ'ed with extreme prejudice.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:54 PM   #71
mayosligo

Not eve Joe can be this stupid. It is like he is trying to get attention to keep the focus of the registration and confiscation movement.
Old February 24, 2013, 02:50 AM   #72
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayosligo View Post
Not eve Joe can be this stupid. It is like he is trying to get attention to keep the focus of the registration and confiscation movement.
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

Of course he's not that stupid. It's nothing but political rhetoric to give a pleasing answer to folks who might be waffling.

You have people like us, who nothing the Bidens or DiFis or Obamas can say will make us doubt.

You have people who believe that guns are inherently evil things clawing at the insides of gun safes to get out and maliciously terrorize innocent victims by demonically possessing the bodies and trigger fingers of their now insentient hosts, causing them to murder victims senselessly. (Koolaide drinkers)

And you have a bunch of fence sitters who really never though about it much. At first they were shocked by Sandy Hook, and though yeah we do need to do something. Then it seemed like the gun grabbers were trying to go to far. And Joe is just trying to appear reasonable to them.

The middle group really has no clue that Joe's advice is going to land them in the slammer after it fails to stop the robbery. But Joe doesn't care.
Old February 24, 2013, 03:06 AM   #73
nate45

Biden said something inane? Really? Hard to figure.

Old February 24, 2013, 07:42 AM   #74
Pilot

Quote:

THIS^^^^^^^.

Politicians can SAY anything. It is what they DO that is really important, and since Vice Presidents don't DO anything, I wouldn't worry about what Biden says. He is irrelevant. He can't vote in the Senate unless there is a tie, so then watch out, but until then, forget about Biden. Worry about your Reps, Senators, Governors, state elected officials, and OBAMA, and his appointed JUDGES, and agency heads.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:06 AM   #75
YankeeSpirit76

I wonder what Uncle Joe's reply would be if we suggested to him that the Secret Service agents that protect his sorry a** be limited to only 2 rounds each in their weapons? Isn't it funny how it's always different when it comes to the protection of them and their children?
Closed Thread