The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 24, 2012, 05:36 PM   #1
bigminnow

Hawken stock question

I need a stock for my Thompson Hawken 50 cal. Thompson does not sell stocks and I need one with similar finish to a kit stock. (minor fit and sanding only).

Anyone know if other brand stocks will swap easily?...such as CVA, Traditions, Lyman, etc...

Thanks again...
Old September 24, 2012, 05:56 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

bigminnow - there are currently 3 TC Hawken stocks listed on eBay. You might check them out - put in a search for "Thompson Center Hawken Stock" on eBay and they should come up.

You I might want to post a WTB (if you haven't already) under the classifieds for BP on this site as well. There are a number of BP forums that have classifieds as well - perhaps some others will post on your inquiry that can provide some links to them.

I didn't check out Track of the Wolf - you might google them and take a look. I'm sure that there are some "upgrade" stocks being produced for TC guns - over the years I've run across some of them at gun shows, Friendship Nationals, etc. - they would be pretty much what you are looking for with most of the inletting, etc. done except for the final fit and of course finishing the stock.

Just keep putting "feelers" out and sooner or later, one will show up. Good luck!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 24, 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

bigminnow - I just checked Track of the Wolf and they show stocks for the TC - the link is

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/906/2

I've never had a TC nor a CVA but I would imagine that the lock mortises are different, different inletting on triggers, etc. I kind of think it would be swapping oranges for apples - but someone who has either or both of them could speak better to that.

Try googling "Thompson Center Hawken Replacement Stock" or similar and see what you come up with as well.

Another suggestion is to go to the NMLRA (National Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc.) site and see if any stock companies or links are listed and then contact them to see what they have.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 24, 2012, 06:07 PM   #4
mykeal

None of the currently available factory guns have stocks that will interchange with each other. However, there are some custom stock makers that make stocks that will fit the factory guns. They're generally not expensive for the plain woods and come in different grades so you can spend as much as you want.

I suggest you check out Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply. Very good folks to work with. They list stocks for T/C half stock and full stock rifles. A few minutes on the phone with them would be worth it, I'm sure.

A phone call to Track of the Wolf would also be a good idea. They do show some T/C half stock and full stock fully inlet and shaped stocks available, and they occasionally have inventory not mentioned on the web site.
Old September 24, 2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Hawg

I would think Investarms would swap without much work. The barrels are pretty much a drop in swap.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:07 PM   #6
bigminnow

Thanks everybody!

I have checked all those sites and more before I posted here. I have not seen anything on ebay that interest me yet. Some of the stocks are priced to the point that I could probably find a complete gun in used condition...

I sent an email to some of the sites mentioned on the internet but have not heard back yet. I will try calling tomorrow. The info on Investarms is good. Last resort I will see if I can find one of those.

Thanks again!!
Old September 25, 2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Pahoo

Seek and ye shall.

Quote:
I just checked Track of the Wolf and they show stocks for the TC - the link is
Da bedbug is showing some good links and did not know that Track of the Wolf even had these. I would suspect that they might have a pretty liberal return policy and you should be able to tell right off, if one would work for you. Most of the time, it's the barrel that goes bad and not the stock. Currently, I am reworking three stocks and If I ever need one, I'm taking a second look at them. You will probably stil need to do some minor fitting.

I have also see quite few, come up on GunBroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=306384618
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=306393444