The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 18, 2009, 07:23 PM   #1
SigP6Carry

CAS Questions

So, I'm thinking of getting into CAS, but I've come up with a couple of questions that haven't been able to be answered by the handbook and websites, so I'll badger ya'll about it.

First off, I have a Pietta 1851 Chambered in .44 and was wondering if that's still a viable gun to use, even though it's a bit inaccurate. I would argue that Rugers should not be used if the 1851 in .44 isn't allowed, but, I don't run the organization. In anycase, would the Pietta .44 1851 work?

Secondly, if one of my revolvers were C&P BP and the other Cartridge, what style/category would that fit into? I'm thinking of using an Uberti 1851 Richards-Mason as the second revolver. It seems a bit odd to use two different type of revolvers completely, but I don't want to go all C&P or buy two revolvers.

Thirdly: the Uberti 1851 RM is a .38spl, and I know it's not rated for +P or .357 mag, but I've heard that they also accept .38LC. Is this true, the Uberti site makes NO mention of this, but I have heard of this working.
Old September 18, 2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Hawg

The 1851 in .44 is legal. Actually the .44 1851 and the Ruger shouldn't be allowed because neither one existed in the time frame. Rugers are allowed because when SASS started about the only choices in a single action were Rugers and original Colt's.

The c&b and RM will be legal guns in most categories except those requiring adjustable sights.

.38 spcl will handle .38 LC but a .38 LC wont handle .38 spcl. .38 spcl is much cheaper than .38 LC. The two are identical except the case length of the spcl is a tad longer.
Old September 18, 2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Quote:
First off, I have a Pietta 1851 Chambered in .44 and was wondering if that's still a viable gun to use, even though it's a bit inaccurate. I would argue that Rugers should not be used if the 1851 in .44 isn't allowed, but, I don't run the organization. In anycase, would the Pietta .44 1851 work?

An histerically innacurate .44 cal 1851 is a viable choice and is perfectly legal. Tuned up, they can be very accurate pistols.

Secondly, if one of my revolvers were C&P BP and the other Cartridge, what style/category would that fit into? I'm thinking of using an Uberti 1851 Richards-Mason as the second revolver. It seems a bit odd to use two different type of revolvers completely, but I don't want to go all C&P or buy two revolvers.

If you are using one C&B and one cartridge revolver, you could compete in any category except Frontiersman (depending on your meeting other requirements of the category; age, attire, etc.). If you are using smokeless cartridges for your RM, rifle and shotgun, you couldn't compete in Frontier Cartridge or Frontier Cartridge Duelist, as they require all ammo to be BP or BP sub. There are no longer categories that require adjustable sights in SASS.

Thirdly: the Uberti 1851 RM is a .38spl, and I know it's not rated for +P or .357 mag, but I've heard that they also accept .38LC. Is this true, the Uberti site makes NO mention of this, but I have heard of this working.

What Hawg said.

Hope this helps.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 19, 2009, 01:36 AM   #4
SigP6Carry

actually, I know that Uberti has been making replicas since the 60's (or at least italian companies), as Sergio Leone used Italian Replicas in his Dollars Trilogy. Just a bit of trivia.

But, thanks all, kind'a saved me from having to buy a second revolver (cause that's such a travesty). The way I figured it, I'd practice with .38spl rounds in the RM conversion and then use .38LC BP rounds for comp (ideally, it'll allow me to fire faster than I could in practice) and BP in the Shotty and rifle.

I'm thinking I'll get a Rossi .357 Lever gun (or another lever gun in .357) and load that up with the same rounds as the RM and then get a cheap SxS shotty from Simpsons LTD.
Old September 19, 2009, 04:15 AM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
I know that Uberti has been making replicas since the 60's (or at least italian companies), as Sergio Leone used Italian Replicas in his Dollars Trilogy. Just a bit of trivia.
Uberti started with Percussion in 1959, not sure when they started making cartridge guns. Availability is what you have to look at tho. SASS was started in 81 but the clones weren't as widely available as they are now. You can thank SAAS for the growth of these revolvers and rifles and also for the many different models available now.
Old September 19, 2009, 01:52 PM   #6
SigP6Carry

I'm not saying you're wrong, just throwing a little bit of movie trivia in to point out that Uberti's been around for a while. I can assume that SASS is to thank for the prevalence of SAA and C&P revolvers in all the stores (literally, there's ONE store I've been to that carries handguns that doesn't have some of the Italian stuff in it, and that one at least had the Ruger Single Sixes). But, being the Clint Eastwood fan I am, I'm'a sucker for anything "1851."

Now, I was actually wondering: since .38 LC, .38SP and .357 can all chamber in the same guns (I know that a RM .38spl can't chamber or handle the .357 round), a .357 Lever gun would be able to load and fire .38LC BP rounds, correct? And also, BP shotgun shells can be had from Cor-bon, as well, correct?
Old September 19, 2009, 03:31 PM   #7
madcratebuilder

There are a lot of early sixties made Italian revolvers around. Many sold around the Civil War Centennial. Navy Arms has been selling replica's since 1958. Val Forgett Sr., president of Navy Arms placed the first American order for a quantity of 1851 Colt reproductions in early 1958, later in that year he placed an order for a quantity of 1860 Army Colts. I believe this was with Uberti. Pietta was started in 1960 and started production of Civil War Replicas in 1964.
Old September 19, 2009, 04:33 PM   #8
rbb50

Quote:
I have a Pietta 1851 Chambered in .44 and was wondering if that's still a viable gun to use
Good grief….. I'm not an antique firearms expert but isn't a gun like that worth so much money still in usuable condition that it would not be worth using at all except to have in a safe someplace as a valuble asset?

Well never mind if it is a replica like the one I just saw on the Cabelas website LOL

Last edited by rbb50; September 19, 2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: replica?
Old September 19, 2009, 07:12 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Well never mind if it is a replica like the one I just saw on the Cabelas website LOL
The word Pietta instead of Colt should have been your first clue. 1851 in .44 should have been your second as no originals were made in .44, they were only made in .36
Old September 19, 2009, 07:19 PM   #10
rbb50

Yeah I was just doing some reading on them and noticed the 36 caliber thing

Like I said I'm no antique firearm expert LOL

Good to do that reading anyway in case I ever do run acroos an original in perfect condition.

Once I saw a colt Single Action Army 45 laying out at a garage sale thinking WOW I might get a good deal here.

Crud the guy knew what it was and wanted $1,200 for it LOL
Old September 21, 2009, 09:33 AM   #11
Noz

Thomme, Some of the lever guns are real pickey about over all length of the cartridge. Some will handle the different lengths and some won't.

Check them out before you buy!