The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2013, 12:40 PM   #26
rogn

VV N-110 pushing on 270 gr Kieth type swc or 300gr XTP$. Use the charges recommended by VV and you'll see some of the cleanest most accurate loads available. The power level is in the same class as the 2400 loads. Superb powder.
Old May 18, 2013, 05:31 PM   #27
QuarterHorse

Thanks fellas!

Anybody else use the 270gr Thunderheads from Penn? I may buy a few of those and a few of something in the 300-335 range.....
Old May 19, 2013, 10:26 AM   #28
WESHOOT2

secret

Vihtavuori N110 offers significant room for experimenting.

Safely.
With a chrono.
And a full understanding of when to stop.....
Old May 19, 2013, 10:38 AM   #29
TXGunNut

I use 21.0 WW296 under a Ranch Dog 290gr cast bullet. It has a gas check and can be pushed faster but my cylinder pin starts walking and my hands don't like it when I go hotter in my RBH. I like chasing big piggies and feel this load is more than up to the task when they decide to chase me, plenty for our little Texas whitetails as well.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:20 PM   #30
QuarterHorse

Very nice! I can't wait to take some piggies and some deer home with the aid of my SBH!
Old May 19, 2013, 11:01 PM   #31
ljnowell

Quote:
I saw this load in a magazine, can't remember who wrote it but it is a Kick A** load. Real snappy.

!!!!!! CAUTION !!!!!!

This load was designed for ruger BlackHawk (or equal) Single Action Revolvers.
Do not use in the Vaquero by Ruger, they are not the same, they are a lighter frame.

260 Grain Cast Flat Nose
20.5 grains Alliant 2400 (range 19 to 20.5 grains)
Large Pistol Primers
Expect about 1340 FPS a big bang and very sharp recoil.

Wish I could remember where I read it.
David, those loads are safe in the Vaquero, just not the "New Vaquero." The old vaquero is simply called "Vaquero" the new one will be stamped "New Vaquero."

Thats a pretty good load too, I have loaded the Missouri Bullet 255gr SWC all the way up to 21.5gr and its a real nice boom and recoil, thats for sure!
Old May 20, 2013, 09:14 AM   #32
Real Gun

Quote:
ljnowell
David, those loads are safe in the Vaquero, just not the "New Vaquero." The old vaquero is simply called "Vaquero" the new one will be stamped "New Vaquero."

Thats a pretty good load too, I have loaded the Missouri Bullet 255gr SWC all the way up to 21.5gr and its a real nice boom and recoil, thats for sure!
You take a lot of responsibility by declaring a gun design stout enough without some references. Vaqueros of any stripe I think are intended for standard pressure loads, especially traditional "cowboy" ammo.
Old May 20, 2013, 03:26 PM   #33
ljnowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gun
You take a lot of responsibility by declaring a gun design stout enough without some references. Vaqueros of any stripe I think are intended for standard pressure loads, especially traditional "cowboy" ammo.
No, I don't. You are simply wrong. Its long been common knowledge that there is a Vaquero, and a New Vaquero. If you arent aware of this, thats on you, not me. The "old" Vaquero was built the same as the blackhawk. I dont need reference to state fact.

Here, I did it for you, how about a wiki entry?

Quote:
Two major variants of Vaqueros exist. The original Vaquero was marketed from 1993 until 2005, and was slightly larger than the Colt Single Action Army. The New Vaquero, produced from 2005 to the present is closer to the dimensions of the Colt Single Action Army.[4] Unlike original Single Action Army revolvers, both versions are safe to load all six cylinders, having a transfer bar design; additionally, both variants permit reloading by simply opening the loading gate, thereby freeing the cylinder to rotate freely, without pulling the hammer into the half-cock notch. These initial Vaqueros have only two hammer positions: fully down, and fully cocked.

The original Vaquero was built to safely fire higher pressure 45 Colt ammunition than the Black powder chamberings, having significantly thicker cylinder walls than other revolvers. Many reloading manuals contain Ruger-only recommended handloads that are considered unsafe for use in other than Ruger Blackhawk, Redhawk, Thompson/Center and Ruger Vaquero model revolvers. Ruger New Vaquero model revolvers, having thinner cylinder walls, are not considered safe for use with the Ruger-only loads taken from the older editions of these manuals. Ruger states that the "New Model Vaquero" will handle +P and +P+ ammunition without any issues, but warn users not to shoot reloads in any of their guns as it will void the warranty.[3]

Three grip variants exist for Vaqueros. The standard grip is very similar to the grip on the original Single Action Army revolver. The Bisley variant incorporates the target grip that was incorporated on the Bisley variant of the Single Action Army revolver that was intended for target shooting. The Bisley grip is also better suited for users with larger hands, having a longer frame that better fits larger hands. Users with smaller hands may not find the trigger to be comfortable to shoot on Bisley variants, by reason of not being able to place their trigger finger properly on the trigger, the trigger being located further from the grip. The third variant is the Birdshead grip, similar to the pattern found on the Colt M1877 and M1878 models.

In 1999 a limited run of 500 guns in stainless steel and 500 guns in blue with color case hardened frames were offered by Davidson's with a 33⁄4 in (95 mm) barrel and a shortened ejector rod and housing. These were called the "Sheriff's Model". In 2005, this barrel was added as a standard option to the catalog.
Is Gunblast official enough for you?
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero.htm

How about this?
http://jamesazacharyjr.blogspot.com/...o-45-colt.html

Quote:
A Ruger Vaquero revolver made between the years of 1993 - 2005, often called an “old Vaquero,” is slightly larger than a Colt Single Action Army revolver. “Old Vaquero” revolvers were built to safely handle the higher pressure .45 Colt hunting ammunition (such as the loads from Buffalo Bore); the cylinder walls are thicker than are those of the Colts and clones. A “new Vaquero” revolver produced from 2005 to the present has dimensions closer to that of the Colt Single Action Army revolver and is NOT for use with the hot hunting loads.
Golly, that whole "old" "new" thing sure sounds familiar. Where did I hear that at?

Last edited by ljnowell; May 20, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old May 20, 2013, 04:04 PM   #34
Real Gun

That's a lot of attitude, but thanks for the info. I learned something.
Old May 20, 2013, 06:07 PM   #35
Wireman134

My Griz load is Linebaugh's load. If cylinder is sizes correct for your boolit dia. pressure with H110 is uniform. 24grs. under my 306gr. Lee RF is less felt recoil than 22grs. under 300 XTP with .450" throats. Less snap more of a push pressure builds slowly. 19grs. of 2400 is a little more snappy.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:19 PM   #36
QuarterHorse

That's basically what I've settled with Wireman. I think I'm going to stay away from jacketed/plated bullets and stay with lead as well.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:00 PM   #37
TXGunNut

When you're ready for a 45 Colt load with "BOOM" stuff 37gr of FFFg under a 255 gr lead bullet.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:02 PM   #38
QuarterHorse

Haha if I get the opportunity to shoot CAS I wanted to use some black powder cartridges for a match.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:18 PM   #39
QuarterHorse

So from what I can tell I'm going to get the best energy out of a 300/310gr bullet moving 1300+ fps vs a 335/350gr bullet moving 1000+ fps. Both of these will BREEZE though the game I know for a fact I will be shooting.

The place we went to pig hunt was telling another member of our party that they do not recommend handgun hunting these pigs as they are "tough". He proceeded to tell us that he dug a 270 slug out of the shield of a pig.

When that party member dropped 3 piggies with his 44 mag out of his Henry the guide said, "Well out of a rifle the mag bullets do okay".

My goal is to put some grousome holes through both plates of these "tough" pigs or even break both shoulders.

So, with this in mind, who makes the bullets you like? I'm leaning pretty hard towards Montana Bullet Works or Beartooth Bullets. I'll be putting my order in this week and hopefully headed to the range next week to finally put a zero in on my new SBH and Scope.
Old May 21, 2013, 05:10 AM   #40
ligonierbill

I shoot Oregon Trail Lasercast, but I really haven't heard about any bad hardcast bullets. Have fun!
Old May 21, 2013, 06:48 AM   #41
WESHOOT2

Beartooth

Cast Performance

Penn Bullets