The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 10, 2014, 12:33 AM   #26
Nakanokalronin

A weapon mounted light can be pointed at the ground and light up a room. A bad guy shooting at the light? Unless you're using night vision, I doubt you'll be shooting at shadows in the dark. They'll see you weather you use a light or turn on home lights, but a high lumens light will blind them just a little bit. Unless you hold it high above your head the whole time while searching your house, most handheld light techniques have it right next to the firearm anyhow.

Best thing is to have both. Handheld to search, weapon mounted to point at the bad guy. Now like I stated earlier, you can search with a weapon mounted light since pointing it at the ground will light up a room. Bottom line is training to use both types of lights or at least the one type of light you choose to use.
Old June 10, 2014, 12:42 AM   #27
bamaranger

"9mm like my other guns...???"

What's the deal with the "other guns" and why can't they serve in the SD/HD role?
Old June 10, 2014, 12:51 AM   #28
Hunter0924

CZ 75B Omega. Excellent value, reliable, and excellent trigger.
Old June 10, 2014, 03:25 AM   #29
Departed402

Quote:
Glock 17.
+1

I was going to say Glock 21, but you specified 9mm, so Glock 17 all the way! You can get 33 round magazines for it to fight your way out of a siege.
Old June 10, 2014, 01:41 PM   #30
DA/SA Fan

I have the Tri-Star T-120. 4 and 3/4 " barrel. The T-120 or P-120 would both work well. I luv the platform. I leave it half-cocked, safety off on my nightstand at night. I got some very grippy and somewhat slimming grips for my gun from https://coppergungrips.com/CZ_Grips.php. They sell thinner grips for the CZ's as well.

Here's mine. Real bargain. Very reliable and a decent quality gun.
Old June 10, 2014, 02:13 PM   #31
Glenn E. Meyer

Just a hint - lay off the shotgun myths and 223 penetration BS.

We have discussed that endlessly and some folks are peddling incorrect cliches.
Old June 10, 2014, 02:28 PM   #32
dayman

As much as I like Glock's and revolvers myself, if you want a reputable and "mainstream" DA/SA, you're pretty much going to be looking at Beretta, CZ, HK, and Sig.
All are good, but Beretta and CZ are a bit more affordable.

All 4 are also pretty different, and I'd guess that you'll like the way one feels much more than the others, so buy the one you like.

I also like a rail/light on a HD gun.
While you can learn to hold a light in your off hand, it's hard to do that and use a phone at the same time (or carry a child, or open a door, etc.). Also, it's one less thing you have to grab if you're woken up unexpectedly.
Old June 10, 2014, 03:14 PM   #33
Theohazard

Quote:
I also like a rail/light on a HD gun.
While you can learn to hold a light in your off hand, it's hard to do that and use a phone at the same time (or carry a child, or open a door, etc.). Also, it's one less thing you have to grab if you're woken up unexpectedly.
Agreed. I don't see any good reason to not have a light mounted on an HD gun. I agree that there are downsides (like having to point the gun in the direction of anything you want to light up), but that's what a second stand-alone flashlight is for. But if you don't have the time or a free hand to grab the extra flashlight, a light on your gun is definitely better than nothing. And remember, you can always turn it off; you're not required to keep it on all the time.
Old June 10, 2014, 08:43 PM   #34
ritepath

I know what I've narrowed my next 9mm HD pistol down to.....the CZ P-09 4.5x barrel length, 19+1 capacity...Or my second choice is an M&P pro series.

Old June 10, 2014, 09:20 PM   #35
Garycw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwd88888 View Post
Conversely, if the bad guy aims at the light attached to your barrel, he'll hit your head, neck or upper chest.

When I used to clear buildings looking for burglars, I was taught to hold the light out to the side for that reason
Old June 10, 2014, 09:56 PM   #36
Model12Win

G17 gen 4.
Old June 11, 2014, 06:50 AM   #37
marine6680

As fat as which light type... Its more preference than anything.

I just don't like hanging anything up there. I also think a handheld light has more versatility for use in other tasks.

As far as the shooting at the light thing... While not a concern I have really... Those saying you can't aim due to the brightness are forgetting one thing.

You don't have to aim to point in the direction and pull the trigger.

It may not be accurate aimed fire, but it is still heading your way and most likely in a rough area of your body. You can be hit.

Not overly worried about it myself... A light is needed, you just have to know how to use it.

Last edited by marine6680; June 11, 2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old June 13, 2014, 10:31 AM   #38
Dirty_Harry

No doubting your choice, but is there a reason you want a 5 inch barrel?

If your stuck on the 5 inch barrel, I would opt for this:

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/m9a1/

If not, HKp30 all the way. I like Striker fired pistols for quick competitiion shooting, but DA/SA for defense.

HK P30L is close to your 5" requirments, but hard to justify an almost $200 real world price difference over a standard P30 for it.

A P30 is my dedicated HD gun. Right now HK has a promotion going on for a free streamlight if you buy any new handgun (minus the VP9).

Thats a nice free addition ($140 value) to any HD handgun.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old June 13, 2014, 06:10 PM   #39
P5 Guy

GLOCK 34.
Old June 16, 2014, 07:05 AM   #40
Auto5

Mine is a Browning HP sporting Crimson Trace grips. You don't specify a price range, but it would seem that any of the full size service pistols suggested here would meet your HD needs.
Old June 16, 2014, 12:13 PM   #41
BigJimP

Sig 226 ....is one of the best DA/SA choices in my view...

but in a 9mm, I prefer a full sized 1911, 5" barrel.../ it's my concealed weapon or home defense gun of choice in 9mm or .45 acp...
Old June 18, 2014, 12:54 AM   #42
EvilE

Ruger p90 .45ACP!!!
Old June 19, 2014, 11:44 AM   #43
sm

Re: Home Defense Gun

I use a Model 10 Snubnose, my CCW.
Why?
Simple, I come up this way. While I have used 1911's, BHPs and whatever else, I have stayed with my roots, all my life, as shared by Mentors. Meaning whilst I may have had others, there has always been a snub-nose .38spl, even when I had 3" and 4" versions.

My concern has always been getting into and out of structures. This includes getting into the house. Currently I reside on near 90 acres of farm, in a farmhouse. Home Defense, for me means being in one of the barns, doing property duty, mowing, whatever.

The last few years have meant health issues, and surgeries for me. I had a gun on or near person always during all this. Recovering from one surgery, I had more than one snub-nose "handy". Easier to grab another gun, than to reload.
Reloads, were both speed strips, and loose rounds, though on one gun loaned to me, there were speed-loaders.

Lights: I use a separate light. I tote a Streamlight Pro Stylus all the time. I also have a GunMojo Taclite ( akin to Surefire) and there is a 3 D cell Maglight in the bedroom, and a 4 D dell one in the garage.

[I/we never use the front door, one accesses the farmhouse, via the back door, adjacent to two car garage]

Other points ingrained into me:
-More difficult to wrestle a snubby away from someone.
-Anyone, can shoot a revolver, even those with very little experience with firearms. ( such as someone coming over to assist me when down, like when I took a shower, or some-such).
-While I know Tap-Rack-Bang, I or others do not have to do so with a revolver, just trip trigger again.

Just my take.
Steve
Old July 8, 2014, 10:46 AM   #44
sigpro2340

Wise, and simple choice .. Golck 17

Last edited by sigpro2340; July 12, 2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old July 9, 2014, 07:26 PM   #45
deputy tom

Another vote for the Glock 17. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old July 10, 2014, 10:21 PM   #46
Tactical Jackalope

SIG P226. Like mine...

Old July 10, 2014, 10:54 PM   #47
DannyB1954

Quote:
I have it narrowed down to a few but any opinions would help.
If you can tell us what those few are, maybe we can relate our experience with those models, or suggest guns with features that you apparently like.
Old July 11, 2014, 12:33 PM   #48
Terry A

Another vote for the Glock 17 based on your stipulations.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old July 12, 2014, 12:34 AM   #49
focodude

1hogfan83 wrote:

Quote:
I have a CZ P-01 that was worked over pretty good by Cajun Gun Works but the the trigger is REALLY touchy. I'm thinking a SP-01, M9, maybe....a HK P30.

I meant to post this in the semi auto forum but da/sa with a rail is the set up I want. One question I have, the Taurus PT92, can the grips be made smaller? I've only held the Beretta and the grip was huge for my medium hands.
You mentiond that you wanted a full-sized DA/SA in 9mm. Since you are looking for a home defense gun, weight probably isn't a big factor. If so, an all steel gun may be a good option for you. I have an SP-01 Tactical and p226 stainless that I really like. The felt recoil on both of these guns is minimal since they are a little heavier. Both of these guns have rails which is important to me for a home defense gun since I like to have a light mounted. Of the two, the Sig has a much better trigger IMHO. I am still getting used to the SP-01 trigger.

Here's a picture of the SP-01

P226

And a new G17 (I know you are looking for a DA/SA but I couldn't resist posting the pic :-) )

Last edited by focodude; July 12, 2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old July 13, 2014, 04:13 PM   #50
Okcafe86

I think way too much thought is put into this. I used a 12 ga with 00 buck for years. I've recently sold that and used a 9mm since I've got married. Seriously though, anyone that gets shot even with a 22lr is certainly going to think twice about what they are doing. Training is key, learn to fire your weapons accurately. Make it muscle memory. If all else fails fire again, 5 22lr to the chest is going to make someone stop and think.
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA

Last edited by Okcafe86; July 13, 2014 at 04:19 PM.