The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 24, 2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Uncle Malice

Picked up a new Gen4 G26

Well, I ended up selling my Gen3 Glock 17 in OD today. I got it back in 2010 when Glock announced that they were discontinuing them. I got one of the last new ones available in the country and held on to it for a while as a keepsake. I shot it a little but took very good care of it. Now that Glock has reissued the OD models, I didn't feel any real desire to have it - and I'm actually more attracted to the new FDE colors.

With that said, I have been wanting to pick up another small CCW gun. My usual EDC is either the M&P 45c or the Gen4 G19, which I love, but sometimes I'd just like something a little smaller that I can stick in the pocket of my cargo shorts. I was thinking about picking up the XDS or Shield. I held the XDS today finally and while it's a really high quality gun, I didn't find it any more desirable over the G26. It's actually taller than the G26, so it really negated the size difference for me. The thickness of the Glock doesn't bother me. It also helps that I'm right by Glockmeister so I was able to swing by there on the way home and have some Trijicon HDs installed, along with the extended slide stop.

My local shop was having an anniversary/customer appreciation sale today with all kinds of sales going on. They had a mountain of M&P Shields available at $379 that were really tempting me. I will pick one up eventually. Anyways, due to Glocks pricing structure, they didn't have the Glocks on sale, but they did have a ton of free schwag to give away with every Glock purchase. Along with my G26, I got a free Glock range bag and aluminum Glock license plate. They also had little bags with golf balls, but I didn't grab one of those as I'm not a golfer.

Swung by Glockmeister on the way home and got the new sights, slide stop, smooth trigger, and a +3 extension installed onto one of the magazine. I have several gen4 Glocks and have never bothered with the back straps as the stock set up feels great to me. I decided to give one of the new beaver tail grips a shot and added the Medium size to the gun. I actually really like the way the beaver tail sits down into my hand, so I'm going to keep it on there for a little bit and see how I shoot with it. The gun feels great with the magazine extension and being +3(although VERY TIGHT, I was only able to get +3 installed using the UPLULA) it's only giving up 2 rounds to my Glock 19.

Should be able to get it to the range this coming week and see how it runs.

Took a few obligatory pics with my phone. Not the best, but I should be able to get some better ones some time this week.

Old August 24, 2013, 07:00 PM   #2
joe-lumber

XD SC 9mm

I love the little finger extension on that Glock 26 and didn't realize one like that was available? What is the brand?

I put a Pearce extension on my Springfield XD SC 9mm and with that short grip it feels great. I had not considered a Glock 26 because of the short grip and now I might think about purchasing one. But after one trip to the range with my Springfield I might just stick with it because the trigger is better that any of my Glocks. I won the Springfield at an NRA fundraiser.

Let me know what is the brand of that Glock 26 extension please.
J

Last edited by joe-lumber; August 24, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old August 24, 2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Erikbal

Re: Picked up a new Gen4 G26

Nice buy! I've been eyeing the G26 myself. I wouldn't mind owning one some day and maybe upgrading from my .380 to the 26 for CC. Let us know what you think of it after you shoot it!
Old August 24, 2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I love the little finger extension on that Glock 26 and didn't realize one like that was available? What is the brand?
Yep, this one is a Pearce as well. Here is the link.

http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK/PG-2733

I have owned the XD sub compact as well. It's quite comfortable too. I like the XD and XDM platform as well, I just don't like them quite as much as I do the Glock and M&P platform and as such, have sold mine away. If I had unlimited funds, I would happily own them again.

If you're happy with the XD sub compact, I don't see any huge reason to switch. I do like how short the height of the gun is with the flat base plate which allows for easy pocket carry. I also really went with the Glock 26 again for magazine compatibility. I have a bunch of glock 19 magazines, as well as G17 and 33 rounders.

I also really like Glock triggers with a few simple mods. After years of trying nearly every glock trigger job or 'upgrade', I've found what I really like is either keeping the factory disconnector or using the Ghost rocket, both with the Wolff 6lb trigger spring and, perhaps most importantly, the Lightning Strike titanium polished striker block. That set up removes the staging of the trigger pull. It's a smooth pull until you hit the resistance point and then a fairly clean break. It's not quite as nice of a pull as the M&P with Apex kit, but the Glock reset is pretty much unmatched in the striker fired world. That's kind of why I've settled on Glock and M&P. Glock can have a good trigger pull with an excellent reset. M&P can have an excellent trigger pull with an okay reset after Apex parts.

Now, I have used both the Springer Precision and Powder River kits on XDs and they both produce great triggers, but they are by far the most expensive of the bunch.