The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 19, 2014, 01:33 AM   #1
bamaranger

cow bell target

For Fathers Day, bamaboy presented me with a "cow bell" target from the Do-All company. I gotta tell you, its a hoot.

We've got it staked out in the field across the way, just a tad over 100 yds. I've got a 2" plastic spinner thing over there as well, and a homemade metal disc about 8" dia. The disc's problem is that often we could not tell if we actually hit it. It didn't "sound off" very well, and was a bit too heavy to see it swing when hit with a .22 at that distance.

The cow bell solves all that. Had to paint it white to pick it out against the backstop, and to ease peep sight use, but when you hit it you know.

BONG, and it swings visibly as well. For about $20.00, guys, you might wanna look at one of these. BONG BONG .....(miss) (miss)....explicative...BONG.
Old June 19, 2014, 09:49 AM   #2
JimDandy

I was looking at that too, and I'd love a bit more of a review of the thing. Do you worry about ricochet? The angle of the bell had me worried it might send rounds over the top of the backstop.
Old June 19, 2014, 10:20 AM   #3
buck460XVR

Is it only for .22? Cheapest one I could find was $40.
Old June 19, 2014, 10:39 AM   #4
JimDandy

It's only rated for .22 on the blurbs I see, so yeah, I wouldn't use bigger than a 22 on it.
Old June 20, 2014, 01:25 AM   #5
bamaranger

review

I think the item sold for $20.00 at a local Gander. It was a gift and all that.

Mine is rated only for .22, and that has been the only variety I have seen or researched.

The frame is pretty stout and much more HD than the similar frames for the orange plastic spinners the same company makes.

As far as ricochet..... the bell pivots when hit, and that seems to dump the energy of the slug and deflect it downward too. I suppose a high hit might deflect one up, intact, but it would be pretty spent. Through the spotter, is seems like the majority of the slugs splatter, regardless of where they hit....same for the home made disc as well. Again, we are shooting at 100.

The company recommends a minimum range.......but I tossed the hang tag. Bet they list it elsewhere. I will look around. CHECK THAT........

Found the tag....it states ".22 Short, long and LR at a minimum of 30 yds"
and... "DO NOT use sub sonic rounds. Only use "soft nose" bullets.....if others bodily injury may occur" Well............

Good chance that at 100 yds, my .22 slugs are very likely subsonic...

Also, I am thinking that their use of "soft nose" (an odd term don't you think) is pretty vague.....does that exclude lead HP?

The tag gives a customer service #....1-866-SHOT-DOC.

So far, I've survived shooting the thing.
Old July 13, 2014, 01:38 PM   #6
surveyor

Thanks for your review..I ordered one from the lgs..
It is a blast..a fun target no doubt..
Old July 13, 2014, 07:34 PM   #7
barnbwt

Quote:
Also, I am thinking that their use of "soft nose" (an odd term don't you think) is pretty vague.....does that exclude lead HP?
I think they just mean no FMJ (or API, for that matter). What else is there besides 'soft nose,' seeing how even 'jackets' are really more like foil on 22s. Is someone making solid copper "Dangerous Game" rounds?

TCB
Old July 13, 2014, 08:33 PM   #8
DennisCA

Old July 14, 2014, 10:52 AM   #9
Freakdaddy

^^^ That was the first thing that came to my mind too!