The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2013, 06:17 PM   #1
LouP.

Use Filler on top of powder

I've been loading over 45 years now and when I started shooting silowet with a 357 mag. revolver and after a Thomson Contender. I cast at the time my own bullets 158gr SWC, using Unique 7.1gr.. It was not a hot load at all but got the job done. I used a fill over the top of the powder to hold all to the back of the case on the primer. Worked great.
Back then several loading manuals even talked about it. I don't see that anymore but still use the filler.

Does anyone else out there use a filler? The filler i'm talking about is the filler they use to make quilt.

Lou
Old January 28, 2013, 06:18 PM   #2
steveno

no filler
Old January 28, 2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Mike40-11

This was a lot more common "back in the day" to keep position sensitive powders that did not fully fill the case tight against the primers to insure consistent ignition.

It was considered by some to be even more important further back with black powder. The contention was that, since BP burns faster than smokeless, an air gap could lead to an unsafe pressure spike and "ring the chamber". This was a point of argument in the 19th century. Gun debates are nothing new.

Cream of Wheat was a very common filler as it is similar in consistency to the powder. Also the dacron quilt material the OP mentioned.

It's far less common today and usually considered unnecessary. I load .45 ACP with 4.3 grains of Titegroup. That takes up so little space in the case that I could triple charge if I wasn't careful. I've never had a problem with ignition.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:03 PM   #4
hk33ka1

When loading a black powder case the powder is always full and slightly compressed or a filler/wad is used as we all know.

When loading a case like .45-70 with rifle powder it has a decent sized charge in it and no filler is needed.

Sometimes people load light or regular loads using pistol powder in .45-70s large case and with all that empty room the dacron stuffing from pillows is used as a filler to hold the powder against the primer. I't's up to you and your manuals to figure out when it is needed.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:10 PM   #5
AlaskaMike

About the only thing I'd consider using filler with is my .375 H&H cast bullet loads with 2400 or 4227. The case is just huge in comparison to the size of the powder charge.

I can't think of any handgun cartridge that I would consider using filler with. I've got quite a bit of .357 mag ammo loaded up with 158 grain cast SWC and 7 grains of Unique. Definitely no filler needed with those loads.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:56 PM   #6
LouP.

Thank you all for the information you've given me, it was nice reading.

Lou
Old January 29, 2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Don P

Quote:
Does anyone else out there use a filler?
Nope, try Titegroup powder.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.