The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 1, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1
chewie146

Squirrel Dog

Ok, I'm a native New Mexican. Anyone around here would just look at me sideways if I mentioned a "squirrel dog" or "turkey dog." Admitting the problem is the first step to a cure. What breeds and what kind of training is involved to make a good squirrel dog. Retrieving isn't really a problem, as squirrels fall from the tree where you shot them. Anyone have any insight?
Old March 1, 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Water-Man

Rat Terrier & Jack Russell.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

That's a new one. Didn't know there was such a thing as squirrel and turkey dogs used in their hunting. Curious now. The only way I've ever seen turkey hunted was on TV with decoy/s and calling. Sure would like to be enlightened some on the subject please.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:47 PM   #4
wooly booger

Jack Russels, and Rat Terriers will instinctively tree a squirrel and stay under the tree it went up. All you have to do is spot it and shoot it.

There is also a couple of breeds call the mountain cur and mountain feist that were specifically bred for squirrel hunting.

Little terriers are fearless. A couple family in South Dakota had 2 Jack Russells. One day they let them outside and the dogs were going crazy at the bottom of a tree. The man thought "darn, they have treed the neighbor's cat again" He looked up and saw a 160# cougar.
Old March 1, 2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Little terriers are fearless. A couple family in South Dakota had 2 Jack Russells. One day they let them outside and the dogs were going crazy at the bottom of a tree. The man thought "darn, they have treed the neighbor's cat again" He looked up and saw a 160# cougar.
Now that's some BIG Kahuna's slung under a little dog for them to do that. WOW!!
Old March 1, 2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Evan Thomas

Don't EVER tell a Jack Russell that he's a little dog.
Old March 1, 2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Panfisher

I had a squirrel dog when I was a kid. It was a German Shepard, I have a dog now that could be a squirrel dog pretty easily its a Border Collie, both breeds are very smart and will happily do whatever you want them to you just have to figure out how to "explain" it to them. The old German Shepards hightlight was if a squirrel fell out still alive, he would grab it and shake it until bones snapped, he really enjoyed that part of it. I also fed him the heads, guts, hide and feet, who knew back then it was bad for them.
Old March 1, 2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Tickling

I can vouch for the fact that Jack Russels will tree any animal that will climb one.

Can be stubborn and aggressive to people if not properly trained however.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:51 AM   #9
FALPhil

Growing up, my brother and I used smooth and wire fox terriers for squirrel dogs. The best I ever had was a smooth fox. He was born a natural, and did not take much training to make him top notch.

The defining characteristic of a good squirrel dog is sight. Since most of the time, the squirrels are out of smelling range, the dog must be able to follow the squirrel as it travels along the tree limbs, and lock on to it when it hunkers down. Next to that, he has to like barking at the squirrel. Barking dogs keep the squirrel off balance.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Rick R

Norwegian Elkhound will hunt squirrel. They'll scent trail, hunt by sight, and tree anything but someone here in Appalachia found out that they'll run their paws off on squirrel. Guess we had a shortage of Elg (moose).

Can't help with turkey as they're illegal to hunt with dog here.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:30 AM   #11
overhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot...
That's a new one. Didn't know there was such a thing as squirrel and turkey dogs used in their hunting. Curious now. The only way I've ever seen turkey hunted was on TV with decoy/s and calling. Sure would like to be enlightened some on the subject please.
I cannot speak for squirrel dogs, I never really felt the need to use a dog squirrel hunting. I can find them on my own and retrieve them on my own.

I am not expert on turkey dogs, but I know someone that hunts turkey in the fall with one. I have yet to hunt with him, but I would like to give it a try. Generally, what you are seeing on TV is spring hunting. During the spring the turkey are mating, the idea is to imitate a female turkey and the male will coming running looking to score. This type of calling does not work during the rest of the year. During the fall, the turkeys group up and it appears their goal is to stay grouped up. If they are separated from the flock they do their best to find their way back. The idea is the dog will find a flock and break it up. The hunter then sets up with a call. The hunter calls the turkey back in trying to imitate the group of turkeys he split from.

I really enjoy hunting turkey much more then hunting other animals. I guess it is the challenge of calling them in. I have been considering getting a dog to train to hunt turkey, but I just don't have the time to do it this year.

http://www.turkeydog.org/
Old March 2, 2013, 11:30 AM   #12
PawPaw

Any of the terriers can be trained to tree squirrels. We used to make training aids from squirrel tails and let the dogs chase them around the yard. Once he learned to associate the smell and sight of the squirrel tail with a game, he wanted to play all the time. A good squirrel dog is a joy.

Turkey dog? That one is new to me.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 2, 2013, 12:33 PM   #13
L_Killkenny

Boy, lookin at this thead you'd think just about any dog with a little bit of chase in it is a potential world champion squirrel dog. It may be possible to get a lot of off-bred dogs to hunt squirrel but doing it well is completely different.

If you're looking for a squirrel dog then get a squirrel dog. Specifically a feist or cur from proven stock. Most dog breeds including the terrier breeds mentioned here are so far removed from hunting stock as to make them a crap shoot at best. They may make fine hunting buddies and may even contribute to the hunt but that's a dang long way away from a good tree dog.

Been around hounds, curs and terriers my whole adult life and I'll tell you this, tree dogs are born not made.

I had a Golden Retriever when I was younger. My hunting buddy and when I headed out I didn't care if we shot birds, rabbits, squirrel or the occasional daytime coon. He'd use his nose on any of them and helped bag some "off" game that I might of walked right on by. But a good squirrel dog would of smoked his butt in the woods.
Old March 2, 2013, 03:53 PM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
overhead
Thanks for the update. So that's what a turkey dog does.~~ Huh.~~ Ain't that something.

Post Script; Thanks again for the link also.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 2, 2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Post script added
Old March 2, 2013, 05:07 PM   #15
Gunplummer

I am with Panfisher. I had a black lab when I was a kid that was the perfect squirrel and pheasant dog. If I took the .22 and we sat under a tree, she sat right next to me waiting. If she heard a squirrel barking she tried to locate it by looking, but stayed there until I shot. You need a smart dog of any breed that wants to hunt squirrels. My lab would not chase rabbits, just stood and looked at them. My buddy had a shepard mix that pointed pheasants. Dog people think you can breed anything into a dog. I will never believe that. I have noticed that most dogs "Bred to hunt" are dumb as rocks.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:08 PM   #16
reynolds357

I have always used Thornberg Feists and Keimmer Kurrs. I have a Keimmer Kurr at the moment and he is also an excellent deer recovery dog. He is getting old, I need another one. Dont know where to find one. If anyone knows, P.M. me please.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:48 AM   #17
shortwave

reynolds357,

There used to be a known Feist breeder in Olive Hill, Kentucky. Years ago and don't remember his name. A google may turn something up.

Also out of Leburn,Ky. the well known Buckley Mountain Feist Line:

GREYTAIL'S MOUNTAIN FEIST SQUIRREL DOGS This is for my squirrel mountain feist squirrel dogs that has been in my family for
over 100 years.
www.angelfire

You may want to check here also for a possible line in your area:

Mountain Feist Dog Breed Puppies Mountain Feist Breeders & Puppies For Sale If your a Mountain Feist breeder and
have Mountain Feist puppies for sale, send us your details for free and we will ...
www.completedogsguide

Hope this helps...

Last edited by shortwave; March 3, 2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:48 PM   #18
RonR6

my dogs love to tree squirrels, but the have an excessive hound dog yelpphoto-1.JPG
Old March 3, 2013, 10:58 PM   #19
reynolds357

Thanks shortwave, I will definitely check them out.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:32 AM   #20
chewie146

The dachshund...for concealed carry squirrel hunting. You can conceal the dog and the gun! Those guys tree squirrels? That'd be awesome, as my wife loves those guys. On a scale of 1 to Jack Russel, how stubborn are they? I've heard they need an alpha to keep them in line.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:35 AM   #21
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Before our male scotty passed. That dog lived to chased backyard squirrels. As all three of us were relaxing on the back yard deck enjoying a late summers afternoon with a boat drink in hand for the wife and I. We had at the time with us a registered black scotty named Mr. Mc Duff (or Duffy for short.) Well, we all observed a rather large gray squirrel had entered our back yard via from under the neighbors chain link fence one occasion and he was headed in all possible haste towards an old hard maple sitting in the middle of our yard some 30-ft away on a straight run for him. (The distance between Us and the squirrel was about the same >some 25-30ft away.) Our Duffy must of thought he had that squirrel for sure. As the dogs little 5 inch legs would have been a blur in anyone's vision just'a scratch'en for traction over the top of that man made vinyl deck flooring. But somehow that nasty smiling dog he managed to cut that squirrels pathway in 1/2. Duffy met the squirrel head on and face to face. Mr. Squirrel stood up on its back legs and literally barked right in the scotty's face. (Less that 2 feet away from each other.) Doing that I think actually bewildered & froze the dog long enough for that squirrel to drop down again and proceed on his way directly to the safety of his tree. Ah yes Memories.

PScript: I think Duffy and perhaps the breed (Scottish terriers) would make excellent squirrel tree'in dogs. Very smart and easy to train they are.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:41 AM   #22
wooly booger

I just lost my JRT this past October after 15 loyal, pain in the *** years. They are fearless, headstrong, smarter than most people and loyal. They tend to be one person dogs. They are protective of their families to the death. They are natural born hunters and killers. Mine killed a possum in the backyard one night, talk about a mess. They honestly don't do well around small children and can be food aggressive.

I love them and want another one soon.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:57 AM   #23
RonR6

Chewie, the one is 1/2 jack russel an he is crazy but listens very well.They are both very protective and always stay at your side no matter what you are doing. I always had Labradors, but these 2 little dogs are awesome house dogs with that hound/ hunting instinct. My wife brought them both home and the Russel was my birthday gift. You can't go wrong with them, they will be your best friend for life.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:22 PM   #24
wooly booger

Quote:
You can't go wrong with them, they will be your best friend for life.
Gotta concur with that. Mine went just about everywhere with me. To the office, into the backcountry, out on the boat. Jack Russel's are big dogs in a small package.
Old March 30, 2013, 01:20 PM   #25
HOGSHOOTER

My Blue pitbull thinks he a Squirrel Dog if they do not get back to the tree its over,thang is he won`t share breakfast lunch or supper down it goes. My cuz is using MT.CUR for squirrel dog do not use dogs to hunt them myself so many here you can`t sit in a treestand in peace.HOGSHOOTER