The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 19, 2011, 02:52 PM   #1
dutchgunsmoke

ISSC Mk 22

Fairly new gun. Handled it yesterday and dubbed it the Ultimate Southpaw Solution.

It has the abbility to operate all the controls from both sides of the rifle. Now I'm looking for hands-on experiences as to accuraccy and ammo reliability. It says .22 lrhv, but i'm curious what it does with other types of ammo.

As a lefty this gun appeals a lot to me, so hopefully somebody can give a rangereport.

Thanks very much.

AKA gunsmoke on the coltforum and Diamondback on vuwa.net
Old February 22, 2011, 11:19 AM   #2
dutchgunsmoke

Woow...

This amazes me...

Was I premature posting this question? Isn't this rifle already available in the US?
Or is it so crappy nobody want's to come out and admit he bought the worst rifle of his life...?

Anybody....?

Old February 22, 2011, 11:59 AM   #3
raftman

As far as I am aware, these just became available here. For example J&G added it to their catalog less a month ago. That's likely one reason there aren't too many people with an opinion/experience with it. On top of that ISSC is a relatively obscure manufacturer to begin with, not that they have a bad reputation, but they certainly can't/don't generate the same kind of buzz that other manufacturers can. That may account for why these aren't flying off the shelves. Incidentally, there are two user reviews on this gun on J&G so far, both seem to be pretty positive.
Old February 22, 2011, 12:08 PM   #4
dutchgunsmoke

Oh well...

Let's waist some bandwidth on pic's I made of this weapon at my favorite gunshop. Maybe that will draw some attention.

Overvieuw.

Left and side view: Note that the safety is fitted on both sides, the boltrelease on the left works as the magazinerelease

Charginghandle where it's supposed to be.

This is what makes this rifle interesting. The charginghandle on the left side of the weapon. Note: in all there are 6 positions.

riflesights.

Old February 22, 2011, 12:11 PM   #5
dutchgunsmoke

This is a feature of which I do not fully comprehend it's POU... Maybe somebody can enlighten me...

Cheeckpiece.

And this will offend a few people. The dreaded sleeved barrel. How bad is this concept which is also used in a few other rifles?

Old February 22, 2011, 12:15 PM   #6
dutchgunsmoke

Quote by raftman:

Incidentally, there are two user reviews on this gun on J&G so far, both seem to be pretty positive.

End quote.

Could you give me directions as where I can find those reviews?

Old February 22, 2011, 12:22 PM   #7
dutchgunsmoke

Raftman, thanks for any efforts.

I found them already,

Old February 22, 2011, 12:22 PM   #8
raftman

Sure they're right here, just click on the name of the reviewer to read the full thing, rather than just the first couple of sentences.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_revie...-rifle%2C-new-
Old February 22, 2011, 12:37 PM   #9
dutchgunsmoke

Yep, read it, thanks again. Much appreciated!

Hopefully there will be coming more opinions on this .22 plinker.
Espescially about ammo reliability. It reads HV on the upper after .22lr, but I'm very interested if it will digest other sorts of ammo as well.

Old February 24, 2011, 02:18 PM   #10
dutchgunsmoke

I guess I'll be reviewing this one by myself.

Have ordered one today.

Old March 9, 2011, 06:29 PM   #11
dutchgunsmoke

And a RED Flag, folks!

Got mine today and of course went straight to the range.

It was a fun gun to shoot. Some minor issues with some malfunctions about 5 with 2 failure to fire, others failure to feed/eject. for a first night out with around 225 rounds fired not bad. Not outstanding, but not bad (ammo used: CCI minimag, Blazer, Standard Velocity (worked fine) and American Eagle HV).

All was going well until I dropped it like 6 inches and the collapsable stock broke.

And the worst news is: this is not the first one that comes apart.

Old March 9, 2011, 08:36 PM   #12
Magog

Awe bummer dude. It looked like a great rifle too. I am glad I bought a Colt M16 22.

I wanted one of these real bad too.
Old March 18, 2011, 06:53 PM   #13
dutchgunsmoke

There's hope on the horizon.
Stock is on it's way.

And check out these pics I found. Taken at the last IWA in Germany. The new Anschütz MSR RX22.

So -somewhere down the line -, there's somthing goin' on. Anschütz is not some cheap manufacturer of plinkin' toys. They have a rep of building great sporting rifles. And yet they choose ISSC's design for this. I don't know what's goin' on, but it does makes me wonder ...

Old March 19, 2011, 08:25 AM   #14
GalilARM

The original configuration was MUCH more SCAR-like, but FNH threatened them and that got changed real quick. The newest look is, in my opinion, rather ugly. If it were well made, I could get past the appearance, but it is not. I dont know what kind of "tactical" 22LR rifles you guys have access to in your country, but over here at least, there are better options for the money. Smith and Wesson's .22 AR and Sig's 522 are near the top. Both can be had for under 400 bucks and are as reliable as the day is long.

ETA: and as for the sights, those are clones of HK MP7 sights, built for a submachine gun with a folding stock. When the stock is extended, you use the sights folded up like rifle sights. When the stock is collapsed, you use the dot sights and treat it like a large pistol. Im guessing ISSC had a stash of them (likely airsoft copies) and put them to use on this rifle.
Old October 4, 2011, 05:30 PM   #15
dutchgunsmoke

I have had one. With the emphasis on "had".

After a stockfailure... ( see added pic)

... and a 3 month wait for its replacement I put about 1200 rounds through it over a 2 month period.

In that period I experienced an increasingly number of FTE's, with various brands and velocitys of ammo.

Ammo used: CCI standard, blazer, minimag, american eagle HV, winchester wildcat.

In this picture you will notice 2 bolts on the left side in the frame - one vertical, one horizontal. These bolts and the parts they hold together are vital for proper functioning of this gun. They keep tension on the boltassembly. Ones this loosens one will experience FTE's.

Unfortunately - ISSC made a very poor choice in material for this gun. The metal parts and the aluminiumalloy frame are so weak, that during these 1200 rounds I managed to destroy the threading on the vertical bolt. The pin construction got wider tolerances and with every shot that pin gave the frame a beating resulting in oval holes instead of round holes. Thus even widening the already large tolerances in that area. In the end tension could no longer be held on the bolt assembly in such a matter that the vertical bolt comes loose in 3 mag's time and rattles inside the inerts of the gun while I was trying to use this gun as a bolt action rifle...

I brought it back to my gunsmith and he decided that this one and the one he had in stock were going back - never to return again.

Bottom-line: the concept of this gun is great, the design due to its difficulty of cleaning less desirable. But because of the poor choice of materials used... It's crap (pardon the expression).

And I can honestly say: Been there, done that and I've got the frikin' T-shirt.

Old January 7, 2013, 08:44 AM   #16
Jsdad

Thanks for the detailed info!

Having never been on this forum before, I bought one of these Saturday and went home, cleaned it and went out to shoot it, and the very first shell was a FTF. I cleared that one and emptied the magazine without a problem. The next magazine I had 1 FTF and 1 TFE. The third magazine went fine and a fourth magazine went fine also. Thought the gun was ok and just needed a little breaking in. Sunday we went to the range and again had 1 or 2 problems with each magazine. I was getting pretty frustrated because it is so fun to shoot but really starting to get on my bad side with all the problems. I bought this gun because it was sopposed to be high quality. I got on line to search for a remedy and the first thing that came up was this thread, and it was exactly what was wrong. The screw was very loose and showed no sign of blue locktight, it was long enough that it reached through the nut by a thread or two though so ISSC has tried to address the problem. I re-assembled the gun using blue locktight on it and after letting it sit a while went out and emptied 4 magazines without a problem! Looks like I have a new favorite gun thanks to the info on this thread!
Thanks
Old March 7, 2013, 01:50 AM   #17
danny1214

ISSC MK22 Quick Review

Hello Folks,

Just a quick review of the MK22. It was my first range visit so if this info helps you that's great, if not just ignore.

If anyone is sitting on the fence waiting to purchase an MK22, I personally recommend you pick one up. I really didn't need another semi auto 22 as I have two other Ruger 10/22's. I bought the ISSC instead of the SR-22 just for looks. I understand some people think that is a waste of money, but each to their own. The SR22 just seems like another 10/22 to add to the collection.

My first range visit consisted of open sights, so pinpoint accuracy was out of the question. I just wanted to see how the gun performed with different ammo.

The Bad:
Winchester Super x 37 grain hollow point was absolutely terrible and would not cycle, I actually had to empty the magazine back in the container. Not sure why. Can't blame the magazine either on this one.

The Winchester box of 333 rounds and the Dynapoint both cycled without any failures, although my magazine would stick with twelve shots left for some reason. I truly think it wasn't the gun having issues it was just the magazine needed to be broke in.

The best performing ammo was the American Eagle, it was flawless!
No magazine issues either.

I thought I brought some CCI ammo but forgot it at home, maybe I will post when I go to the range again sometime soon.

The Good:

Accuracy seems to be awesome, I was just shooting freehand at 35 yards with open sights and a full magazine.

This gun is extremely light and well balanced.

I am really happy with this gun, I think it just needs to cycle a few rounds through the magazines to break them in.

I will keep you posted once I go to the range and mount a scope.

Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1.jpg (170.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg image_2.jpg (190.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg image_4.jpg (178.7 KB, 18 views)
Old March 12, 2013, 02:54 AM   #18
danny1214

MK22 Range Duty

Hello Folks,

Just a quick post of a clip from the range earlier this evening.

I hope you can watch this without having to turn your head sideways..... Darn Apple Software.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5b9f1uaij...2023.23.35.mov