The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 16, 2009, 10:16 PM   #51
Double J

Used to use a .22 rifle. Was real partial to a Winchester pump rifle. I sometimes ran beagles. Best dog I had was a CHA-WA-WA. Little fellow could get into the tightest places and come out with a rabbit. We don't have rabbits here anymore.
Old January 17, 2009, 12:36 PM   #52
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I don't start hunting bunnies regularly until pheasant season is over. I'll still take the german shorthair pointer along to help kick them up. We'll use handguns most of the time, both revolvers and autos, from .22 up to downloaded .44 mags. I've also used pistol caliber carbines and ak's. My ar is fun but anything less than a headshot will blow them apart. One great memory from a rabbit hunting trip was the dogs pointing a covey of quail with a steep hillside behind them. We had some pretty warm loaded .44s in our single action revolvers. Kicked the covey up and dropped a bird just ten feet from the end of the barrell, thought the muzzle blast had got him. Shot through the lower back, no meat damaged. My buddies couldn't believe it. I'll never top that one. Sorry for the long post, but the topic brought up some pleasant memories on a cold, windy morning.
Old January 17, 2009, 01:47 PM   #53
HAMMER1DOWN

I'm not much for shooting of cottontails unless i'm camping I have some great recipes if anyone wants them, but most of the time i go and shoot jack rabbits at night i never shoot from the road but we do locate them with spotlights, best night ever was 37 jacks, three porqupines and a skunk

BONES

Last edited by HAMMER1DOWN; January 18, 2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old January 17, 2009, 05:47 PM   #54
BIGR

Dad and I had about 20 beagles back in the 70's. We hunted rabbits every chance we got and used shotguns. Where we hunted it was thick and the action was fast and furious.
Old January 17, 2009, 05:52 PM   #55
DiscoRacing

i still hunt em when i can see one.... used to go with 12 guage but no longer have a shotgun so just get one now and then with .22..
Old January 25, 2009, 09:42 PM   #56
HAMMER1DOWN

here is my most recent rabbit outing, actually i was coming out of my friends range and seen them both on the run.
Two Jacks.jpg
Old January 30, 2009, 05:16 AM   #57
jckeffer

TWO JACKS. Sure look like snowshoe hares
Old February 1, 2009, 07:43 AM   #58
GuateShooter

I like to hunt rabbits with a .22, not a shotgun, with shotgun its so easy,
Old February 1, 2009, 08:12 AM   #59
mikeovers

If you like to hunt the sage brush try to find the lava rock piles. The rabbits love them in the winter time because they set on them and sun themselves to get warm. I bet if you think about it everyone out there that hunts sage brush can agree we have all shot many many rabbits off the top of rocks while they were getting some sun. I have found some lava rock piles that I was able to shoot 5 to 6 rabbits off of one right after the other.