The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old September 13, 2008, 08:58 AM   #26
Playboypenguin

They also do that so that they never have to honor their "we beat any price by x%" policy. They have the manufacturer produce them a model where the last letter in the model number is different. That way they can claim it is a different model. I ran into that with a GE fridge. GE said it was the exact same model as the one I saw at Lowes but all Sears models ended in "S" instead of "B". The only difference was the number plate.

I do not find it hard to believe that gun makers do the same thing. I asked my dealer yesterday and he said the Ruger's at most sporting goods stores are different than the ones he sells. They have plastic or lower grade molded metal internals in some of them.

Last edited by Playboypenguin; September 13, 2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old September 13, 2008, 12:35 PM   #27
ssilicon

Serial numbers are always unique and never match. It is the model number game that you are all talking about I assume.
Old September 13, 2008, 12:39 PM   #28
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Serial numbers are always unique and never match. It is the model number game that you are all talking about I assume.
Yes, model numbers...sorry.
Old September 14, 2008, 06:00 PM   #29
shaman

long years ago, a buddy and i in tennessee would go get a case of either remington or double A number 8 or 9 for the weeks skeet. we would usually pick up a brick or two of 22 and/or 308, 44 mag, 45 colt or whatever.

by the third time, there would be two cases sittin at the register on saturday afternoon. they got the message.

when you encounter incompetance and just plain rudeness at any of the big stores, simply call for the manager and get it straightened out.

i sometimes have to interact with public or business owners in my line of work. it does not cost me a thing to be polite. it works.
Old September 14, 2008, 08:02 PM   #30
DKA

I buy a lot from WalMart. Most of the people behind the counter there are fairley knowledgeable about most of their inventory. Did get one young lady that was down right rude and did not want to wait on anyone. Just went up front and told Mgr about the incident and he went to the Sporting goods Dept and waited on me himself and apologized for the young ladies actions, promised that it would not happen again. The young lady is now working in the Stock Room.
Old September 14, 2008, 11:00 PM   #31
Phlip

My favorite Walmart experience happened several years ago. I went back to the gun counter to pick up some 9mm ammo.

The clerk tried to talk me out of it. He explained to me how guns were very dangerous and no one should have those things.

He went on to tell me that he accidentally shot his wife with his gun. He said he was cleaning it and it just went off. They are very dangerous!

I couldn't help but laugh and I asked him if his wife bought his explanation. He looked at me like I just started speaking a different language. I told him that it has been my experience that guns are not dangerous, idiots are.

He didn't seem to like that comment very much. But, I think he wasn't so stupid that he didn't realize there wasn't a thing he could do about. We parted ways at that point.

I went home and reloaded enough 9mm for the next day.
Old September 19, 2008, 06:38 AM   #32
sureshots

Super Neat Walmart

I had some extra time on my hands so I stopped at Walmart in Pikeville KY A few weeks ago. I could not believe the Guns they had on display. It put the gunshops in my hometown to shame. They had lots of the higher priced guns plus the regular guns we usually see on display at other walmarts. Also they had lots of scopes,rings and anything else you might need. The lady working in the dept. also was super nice. I had A very pleasant stop at Walmart.
Old September 19, 2008, 11:50 AM   #33
dunnsguns

Yes People that work at wal-mart are usually idiots and its always difficult to find someone there, but I had several great experiences.
The best one I have ever had is I walked in about two years ago and two where behindd the counter saying wow that's a really good deal so I thought i would see what they where refering to. In the case there was a remington 700 ADL 30-06 discounted to $200. I didn't want it to get away so I pulled out the credit card to pay for it. We went through the paperwork and upon completion of that the manager informed me they could not find the box for it and they had a policy that they could not let the gun leave the store without a box. I was asked to call the next day and hopefully they would find it. The next day I called but they couldn't find the box. I was told to come pick it up and for my trouble they would knock another $30 off the price. I walked out that day with that rfle for 170$ plus tax.
I took it home mounted a 3-9 nikon buckmaster scope on it, adjusted the trigger took it the range and was punching clover leafs at a hundred yds not one group opened up over an inch and the majority stayed in the half inch center to center range. Awesome Rifle.
Then I sold it for $225 to a friend that needed a good Deer rifle....Who's the Idiot now?
Old September 19, 2008, 03:42 PM   #34
Mal H
Staff

There's not much point in continuing this discussion beyond what's already been said.

There's always another Wal*Mart thread coming down the pike for additional hate/love/tolerate comments about the chain. Wait for it, if you need to add something.
Closed Thread