The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 8, 2001, 11:09 AM   #1
PvtPyle

As per suggestion here is a "registration"(God I hate that word) for the April shoot out by Utah Lake. The dates are the 27th, 28th, & 29th.

Friday the 27th, a pot luck BBQ at my house, please bring a side and drink. We should kick it off about 6:30 and go until when ever.

The 28th, meet up and head out to the desert. I am open to suggestion as to where to meet. There is a 7-11 right off I-15 at the Bangater exit, the Lehi one(not sure where that one is) or some place else. You will need to have a 4X4 and if we carpool it will make the journey that much easier. Afterwards I have offered for the out of towners to clean their weapons in my shop, that way they dont have to worry about doing it in the hotels, anyone else that would like to is of course welcome as well. That night we are open to suggestion as to what to do, group movie, dinner or everyone do their own thing. Some of the out of towners have talked about going sight seeing, any local tour guides want to give them the grand tour?

The 29th is the same deal.

This should be a great time! If you have a camcorder or camera by all means bring it and lets have some fun!
Old February 8, 2001, 11:56 AM   #2
Correia

I'm in. And I've talked to a couple of out of staters who would be interested in a multi day affair. Do you have a place for a camp out?
Old February 8, 2001, 01:06 PM   #3
Steve Smith

As Correia knows, I'm interested in camping out. Is there a place nearby where a bonfire and camping is allowed? We'll make sure to take care of the land, but camping out and a good bonfire is an important thing, to me. That makes for good night-time entertainment. I can even toss some wood in my truck to bring along, if that's a problem. Where is this place, geographically speaking? N,S,E,or W Utah?

BTW, "registering" to be there.
Old February 8, 2001, 02:05 PM   #4
WVC

Hey PvtPyle, I made it here to FTL!!!

I'm regestering for the shoot.

I'm hoping that I will have a new "toy" to bring by April. Will bring the wife and maybe 2 others for the shoot.

You can still count on me for the second BBQ. And of course a side dish.
Old February 8, 2001, 02:46 PM   #5
MGB

Steve Smith:

Utah Lake is in north central Utah, about 35 miles south of Salt Lake City. It is just off I-15 so access is very convenient.
Old February 8, 2001, 02:48 PM   #6
MGB

As for a rallying point might I suggest the Lehi exit so those of us in Utah County do not have to go past Lehi (I.e. Bangerter exit) and then backtrack. I'm not sure of my schedule that weekend but will put the 28th down for the shoot.
Old February 8, 2001, 11:20 PM   #7
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I'm in too...
Old February 9, 2001, 06:13 PM   #8
Porter-Glockwell

If my wife likes the Febuary shoot we'll be at the April shoot too, at least for Saturday's events. Of course, that may leave me with a few more months that I have to keep shaving my beard off. (have to negotiate with the wife for these things ya know, sometimes it's worse than talking nuclear disarmament with Kruschiev! )
Old February 9, 2001, 07:35 PM   #9
MiniZ

I'm in, and I probably(99%) have a "guest" for the actual shoot.
May I suggest that we find out who has 4X4's and make sure we have enough "seating" to carpool those that don't?(I being one of those)
Thanks
Z
Old February 9, 2001, 07:55 PM   #10
Porter-Glockwell

I have a 2WD Chevy S-10 that can survive most 4wd trails easily. it shouldn't be a problem. I've been in that area before.
Old February 10, 2001, 10:28 PM   #11
skyder

skyder in, probably with one other.
Waiting further details.
Old February 10, 2001, 10:53 PM   #12
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

How's the weather out there during April? Depending on my schedule, I might fly out for a multi-day shoot.
Old February 11, 2001, 03:18 PM   #13
PvtPyle

We found a good place yesterday with several shooting ranges within a hundred yards of each other. We were also talking about doing a viseo and picture CD-ROM of the shoot for those that went. I wanted to post this idea here for review of the members. I dont want anyone to feel that their privacy and security is/or would be infringed upon. I am going to bring my dig. camera/camcorder and will respect everyones wishes in this regard, but does anyone have any strong objections to this idea? I would in no way present any personal info about any of the shooters either. Privacy, safety, and fun are my concerns for my fellow shooters.

If anyone wants to contact me and go scouting again, and see the tenative location that has been chosen I would love to go. I'm all for finding the best location we can. Campfires will not be a problem either.

I will have hotel phone numbers for the out of town guests in the next day or two.

The weather in the desert should be breezy and warm during the day and fairly cool at night. But with the way the weather has been this winter we could all be out there in shorts and tanktops because it is 100 degrees. We have had a fairly warm winter.

Anyone have any ideas for games or fun competitions?Long range 3 shot groups, best tactical rig and deployment, bowling pins, maniquin shoot?
Old February 11, 2001, 06:05 PM   #14
General

I will try and make at least one day of the trip. I don't have as far to drive as some others.
Old February 11, 2001, 08:02 PM   #15
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

This is sounding pretty good.
Old February 11, 2001, 11:38 PM   #16
bobwest

<<Anyone have any ideas for games or fun competitions?
Long range 3 shot groups, best tactical rig and deployment,
bowling pins, maniquin shoot? >>

Well, purrrrr-I-vut... since you axed...

Suggestion 1:
5 shots on 5 targets at 50 (or 75) yds.
Start with rifle slung on shoulder.
At buzzer (somebody's gotta bring a timer, or a stopwatch & whistle), the shooter moves laterally at least four feet while dismounting the rifle. Fire two shots using any shooting position (standing, kneeling, sitting, squatting, prone, etc). Move laterally another four feet, shoot at another pair of targets using a different shooting position, then anothe move and shoot the last shot at the last target using a third position. Best time with 5 A or C hits on standard IPSC target wins.
This drill forces you to realize that if you just stand in one place and blaze away, you're an easier target to hit.

Suggestion 2:
Four-station 8-shot scramble on 1 target at 150 yards.
Start prone at first postion - at buzzer fire two shots.
Run to 25 yd station and fire another two shots using a second shooting position.
Run to 50 yd station and fire another two shots using a third shooting position.
Run to 75 yd station and fire another two shots using a
fourth shooting position. Best time with 8 A/C hits wins.
Distance to target and running distances can be varied if desired.

Suggestion 3:
Long range three-shot group sounds ok, but should it be open class or separate categories? Ie, standard precision rifle with scope, open sighted NRA class military rifles (Garand, M14, M16 pattern rifles), etc?

Suggestion 4:
Bowling pin could be lots of fun. Knock em off stable platform, right? What kind of platform? Any firearm? Full auto ok? Shotgun ok? Semi-auto rifle? Handgun? Distance from pins to shooter? Lots of possibilities. Who can bring lots of pins?

Suggestion 5:
Mannequin shoot? Used to have a cardboard silhouette of Austin Powers, but it got well-ventilated in a previous outing.

Suggestion 6:
Shotgun stage. Tape 5 surplus cd-roms onto top of stick at various ranges out to about 20 yards, and at buzzer, knock em down. Best time wins.

This is going to be a blast. (pun intended)
Old February 14, 2001, 07:11 PM   #17
PvtPyle

shooting games....

Here is what I have so far:

LR shoot. 100yds, two classes, semi and bolt guns any type of sights. 3 shots each round, 3 rounds.

Maniquin shoot, same as above but one shot each round. As I only have the heads they will be for the "magic T".

Tactical, 25yds, 3 targets. Shooter must move laterally at least four feet and either do a mag change or transition to their side arm. Double taps on the targets.

Bowling pins, 5 bowling pins, open classed(run what ya brung) 25yds rifle and 10yds pistol.

Now I dont have bowling pins so if anyone else does please contact me. Also anyone that has target stands they can bring, please let me know. I have plenty of targets for the LR shoot and plenty of maniquin heads from the "headroom". Lastly anyone that has a good stop watch or competition timer that would be great too.

See you the 24th!
Old February 15, 2001, 09:22 AM   #18
bobwest

Let's confirm that the 24th outing is this month at Hendricksen Range in Parley's canyon as previously planned.
Or is it to be at the new spot you found in west desert?
I'm sort of confused.
Old February 15, 2001, 10:33 AM   #19
PvtPyle

This is all for the April shoot

Out in the desert. The shoot the 24th is still at the range up the canyon. These ideas are for the place we just went to.
Old February 15, 2001, 11:29 AM   #20
Correia

Ok, I'm confused also. It was my understanding that the Feb shoot is in the desert w. of Lehi. Darn I hate not having Internet connection at home yet. Lets finalize a Feb location in the next few days and I can start a new post detailing all the proper info.

Unfortunatly I won't be able to check back here until tomorrow.
Old February 15, 2001, 01:58 PM   #21
PvtPyle

I thought the shoot this month, the 24th was up at Hendricksen range. I was totally out of the loop on that ones planning and organizing, I am just an eager participant. My posts should only reflect the things I have started to put together for the April shoot, in the desert. I thought George was organizing the shoot this month.

Sorry for any confusion I may have inadvertantly caused.
Old February 15, 2001, 08:55 PM   #22
Different

Just saw this post. Is there anywhere to pitch a tent for the April shoot? Mrs. Different and I are interested.

Thanks,

Different
Old February 15, 2001, 09:43 PM   #23
PvtPyle

Yep. Some others had ask the same question. When we were down there Sat. we say tons of old campsights. I may have to stay late Sat night and try out my new NV scope for my ARHB!