The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 26, 2007, 09:12 AM   #26
Hemicuda

Dave P...

You assume that the Dodge (or Plymouth) is just sitting in my garage... you couldn't be more wrong...

I put over 20,000 miles on the Hemi'Cuda convertible (original, restored) last year...

I admit, the Cordoba and the others averaged less than 10k...

I get chastized REGULARLY for driving such a rare and expensive historic musclecar... I even fry the tires occasionally... and that REALLY gets some people going...

BUT, Ma MoPar built her to be DRIVEN...

to use your analogy, I do NOT take my high-dollar musclecar to the slums and leave it parked, where it would be a temptation...

I also do not advocate wearing $3000+ worth of gold, to go fishing... the fish don't care about "bling" and if the people with you do, then you AIN'T fishing... you are partying...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old July 26, 2007, 09:27 AM   #27
LubeckTech

Hi Threegun,

Sounds like this is a perfect time to talk to your son about why we DON'T want to use the guns we carry unless absolutely necessary which is a concept many adults just don't get. An 11 year old can handle it. Today's movies and poorly depict reality and as parents we must be aware of what is going on in the minds of our children. He needs to understand carring a gun is no substitute for avoiding trouble in the first place. I tend to be more careful about my actions while carrying than I would other wise. For instance if someone flips off my wife I would ignore it because I don't want to get into a fist fight and possibly lose control of my gun if things went really bad. In other words I'm probably a little less likley to get into a fight while armed. You need to discuss the many reasons why we don't want to use a gun unless there is no choice. Young people (older ones too) tend not to think about "what happens next" when a bullet leaves the barrell - things like collateral damage for one. In the movies the good guy shoots the bad guy who falls down dead after 1 round to the abdomen - we all know good guys never miss and the bad guys always miss. There are no "winners"in a gunfight only survivors - maybe. Real people miss and some innocent bystanders could be hurt - bad guys can and many times do shoot back with tragic restuls. Then there are the legal ramifications just because you were justified does not mean you won't land in jail. Everyone needs to consider that if you fatally shoot someone it is as likley as not the incident will end up costing you between $10,000 and $20,000 in legal fee either from prosecution or civil litigation and you won't get it back. Learning to think beyond the moment is a valuable lesson for everyone and 11 yrs is a great time to start!
Old July 26, 2007, 10:22 AM   #28
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing the story, threegun. Good job on trusting your instincts and getting out of there. Your son learned a valuable lesson too.

Don't let Monday morning quarterbacks like eltorrente get you down. You were there, they weren't. You did right for yourself and your son.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old July 26, 2007, 06:59 PM   #29
Microgunner

Threegun, I've seen that boy of yours shoot, both of them actually, and I don't think you had too much to worry about. Just toss him your backup, he'd have protected you. You're raising the next Jethro Dionisio. And that's the God's honest, lightning fast truth.
Old July 26, 2007, 09:13 PM   #30
vox rationis

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the story, threegun. Good job on trusting your instincts and getting out of there. Your son learned a valuable lesson too.

Don't let Monday morning quarterbacks like eltorrente get you down. You were there, they weren't. You did right for yourself and your son.

-Dave
Yes I totally agree. In situations like that you have to trust the dangerous signals that you are perceiving and act to avert a bad situation before it happens or to escape. And not to make more out of that situation than it was, but apropos dangerous situations: I will posit that our brains are pretty good at picking up a dangerous situation, it is just that we often suppress these messages or choose to ignore them. That is when we flirt with potential disaster. If you want to read about the neurophysiology and psychology of survival situations read the book "Deep Survival". In a nut shell most people can recognize danger signals, but what separates survivors vs the dead is the willingness to act decisively and promptly. The dead choose to ignore danger and often convince themselves that it is probably nothing, or decide that not acting is more socially decorous if you will (they don't want to cause a fuss). If you see danger signals better to act to investigate and/or remove yourself from the situation IMMEDIATELY than be sorry that you didn't do this later when it is too late. This is exactly what you did and I say it was a good call. When I was a teenager I was messing with my bike in a river bed, and after a ride-by by some hoodlum looking types I decided to stay put and continue messing with my bike instead of following my instinct and egress from the area. Well that ride by was recon, and they came back in a few minutes to jump me. They beat my a$$ good and took the bike. Lesson learned. Keep your radar on, recognize threats, and act appropriately..that's exactly what you did and good for you, and good lesson you taught your son, he's lucky to have a pops like you.
Old July 27, 2007, 05:46 AM   #31
threegun

SoVT, Thanks for the kind words. My son also thinks he's lucky to have a dad like me. Only his reasoning is probably his Browning HP, Px4 Storm, and Bushmaster superlite LOL. I'm the best dad ever....every trip to the range or new gun.

In fact we are going to the range in a few hours. I gotta work (RO) and my boys are gonna shoot.

Micrgunner, Chuckie can't miss with the Browning HP. We ran reduced speed double taps Monday on two different targets and he was amazing. I have no doubt that he could protect mama and brother from goblins.

Hemicuda, I don't put the chain on to "fish". I never take it off. You are correct though I did/do feel that it attracts attention both good and bad. I would have left the fishing area with or without the chain however. Things smelled real bad and I'm not gonna chance it.

JoeBlackSpade, I am Hispanic and the neighborhood was black. I think I blend better than a white boy would. Having grow up on the out skirts of a ghetto I am familiar with bad people. Heck working at a pawnshop and dealing with poor people has taught me alot. I often sell guns to folks who have been assaulted or robbed. I always ask when, where, why, and how. Most people knew it was coming and simply had no way to stop it.

A general thanks to everyone who posted. I hope my experience helps others. I strongly feel that it will someday help my boy.
Old July 27, 2007, 08:20 PM   #32
9mmHP

Remember, in situations where you're unexpectedly approached, always watch the hands no matter how broadly they're smiling at you.
Old July 27, 2007, 09:45 PM   #33
workinwifdakids

Quote:
What is the purpose of wearing 3000 dollar necklaces fishing?
Where I grew up, when I grew up, necklaces were absolutely a woman's jewelry item, with zero exceptions. Imagine my shock when I moved! It would be like an Amish man seeing a kilt on a man for the first time! I've never overcome it, much like many WWII-era men never overcame seeing men with long hair. I'm more libertarian, so I don't care how you dress or spend your money, but it sure is strange to hear!

Anyway, good job with your boy, and glad to hear you're safe.
Old July 28, 2007, 02:48 PM   #34
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

It's almost impossible to convey in writing all the information you can get and process from the way someone looks at you. You should keep this in mind when you post such a story; some people are going to assume that they know a lot more about the situation than they do, because when you say someone was staring at you, they're going to picture someone looking at them.

If you were that worried, I doubt it was quite that simple.
Old July 29, 2007, 06:38 AM   #35
threegun

Don, I have trouble explaining things already. You are dead on though it is tough to explain. I can tell you that when that one guy stopped looked around then looked back at us before continuing walking away that was it for me. It was the classic look around to see if anyone was coming type move.

Funny thing though. I explained to my dad what had happened. He said that I was FOS and paranoid. When I showed him in person how the guy did it he said oh crap.

You are correct that you had to be there.
Old July 29, 2007, 07:17 PM   #36
Tanzer

Quote:
Why should anyone have to explain themselves as to why they own any legal item? The insinuation that he's in the wrong because he owns something valuable is outrageous.
Agreed! I don't take off my Tissot Ballade (watch), my gold ship's wheel necklace or my 3 diamond wedding band, but then again you don't find me in such places if I can help it.
Old July 30, 2007, 07:03 AM   #37
threegun

Tanzer, I forgot about my wedding band.....had it on to. Thats another grand.
Old August 1, 2007, 09:23 PM   #38
freeman

own what you want (legally), fish what you want (legally), and be smart enough to keep you and your son safe (legally)....see a theme here?... Good Job, many tough guys would be in a jam today for not making such a wise decision. In addition, you helped teach your son some situational awareness, which may save his skin someday!!!
Old August 2, 2007, 04:09 AM   #39
threegun

Thanks Freeman.
Old August 2, 2007, 09:00 AM   #40
JoeBlackSpade

Threegun, I'm as street savvy as the next guy, but I'd take off my $6,000.00 Mr. T necklace if I was going to the ghetto. Of course, I don't HAVE a $6000 necklace, but if I did, I wouldn't walk out to Liberty City in a tank top. I'd end up like Rodney King.

There's a reason why there are 5-ton steel doors on the vault at the bank. If a thief/thug sees wealth or value, he gets this peculiar twinkle in his eyes, that means something bad's gonna happen.

Sounds to me like you handled yourself admirably. Your son won't forget that lesson.

Still, does that chain give you a neck-ache?

Old August 2, 2007, 12:10 PM   #41
threegun

Quote:
Still, does that chain give you a neck-ache?
Nope. Don't even feel it.

I wouldn't go to liberty city either so no need to remove the chain LOL. Remember I didn't realize exactely were I was having come from Downtown. I would never have stopped had I known the housing projects were so close.
Old August 2, 2007, 01:37 PM   #42
David Armstrong

Quote:
Why should anyone have to explain themselves as to why they own any legal item? The insinuation that he's in the wrong because he owns something valuable is outrageous.
The question is not whether there is an issue about owning something, the issue is how that something is displayed/used and how that fits into one's overall lifestyle and security. Would you go to Nuevo Laredo and pull out a stack of $100 bills to buy a belt? Part of the "awareness" that is talked about so much is understanding what messages are being sent to the public and understanding the dangers. Like was mentioned above, taking an expensive sports car for a drive in the country is very different than leaving it parked overnight in the bad part of town.
Old August 3, 2007, 05:49 AM   #43
threegun

Quote:
Like was mentioned above, taking an expensive sports car for a drive in the country is very different than leaving it parked overnight in the bad part of town.
Stay out in the country then. If you find yourself in the city for whatever reason leave once you realize the mistake.

I realize that my chain, wedding band, heck even my children's chains are attractants for bad guys. Things as simple as your clothing are attractants for bad guys. You can either dress like a bum and wear no gold or you can remain vigilant and make good decisions. I choose to remain vigilant and stay on the better side of town.
Old August 3, 2007, 09:18 AM   #44
JoeBlackSpade

Just busting your balls, threegun.

Sometimes you have a plan, and the unexpected happens.

In some cities (take Orlando, for example) you can be driving through a neighborhood with multi-million dollar homes, and then get on I-4, take the wrong exit, and within 2 miles, you can be driving through a trash neighborhood, faster than you can say "Oops, wrong turn". One minute you're looking at well trimmed shrubs, and parked Mercedes cars, the next minute you're being waved at by toothless hoochie mamas in bike-shorts and halter tops, and dodging Mr. baggy-pants-dreadlocks guy with a brown paper bag in his hand at 10:45 in the morning.
Old August 3, 2007, 01:13 PM   #45
threegun

JoeBlack, I agree. In this case I knew the area in general was low income I just got turned around a bit. I thought I was a few miles from the real bad areas. I know Tampa pretty well and the areas to avoid. The rest is pretty much hit or miss with violence. I live in a pretty decent area of Tampa still less than 3 miles from my home a U.S. Marine veteran (fought in Afghanistan and Iraq & was going for his third tour) was robbed and killed......for of all things.......his chain. A Chicago disciples gang member wanted his chain and the Marine resisted. The chain was not even taken. The bad guy told police why he did it in custody. So this side or that side of town doesn't mean safe and not safe it just reduces or increases the frequency of crime.
Old August 3, 2007, 01:17 PM   #46
threegun

BTW, At todays gold prices Mr. T's sitting on a serious pile of dough. If all them chains are solid wow. I pity the fools neck LOL.
Old August 4, 2007, 03:28 AM   #47
David Armstrong

Quote:
Stay out in the country then. If you find yourself in the city for whatever reason leave once you realize the mistake.
I somehow fail to see how that relates to anything that was said.
Quote:
I realize that my chain, wedding band, heck even my children's chains are attractants for bad guys.
So the question becomes why attract bad guys if you don’t really need to?
Quote:
You can either dress like a bum and wear no gold or you can remain vigilant and make good decisions.
I find it strange that you would think those concepts are all mutually exclusive. One can dress quite nicely without looking like a bum. Similarly, one can dress like a bum and still wear a lot of gold. One can make good decisions no matter how they dress or what kind of bling they sport. And remaining vigilant is not a factor of how you dress.
Old August 4, 2007, 10:50 AM   #48
Hemicuda

So, why DON'T you take off the necklace and the Rolex when going fishing? is there a REASON for not taking it off? (or for putting it on in the AM, in the FIRST place, when going fishing?)

Or do you wear them to bed too? (I bet your wife LOVES having to shave her head so you don't pull her hair out with all that nice flex-weave metal...)

there is a time and place for everything, and fishing and bling really AREN'T related...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old August 4, 2007, 11:51 PM   #49
Ed Lawrence

If you really wanted to teach your son a lesson in awareness and safety, you would have left as soon as you realized that you were not in the safeset location.

You would also teach him that it is not wise to go into questionable areas wearing thousands of dollars worht of jewlery.

Like David said in his example about being seen in questionable areas with a huge wad of bills.
Old August 6, 2007, 05:24 AM   #50
threegun

Quote:
Like David said in his example about being seen in questionable areas with a huge wad of bills.
Like I said stay out of questionable areas. If you find yourself in a questionable area leave ASAP bills or no bills. Many things are attractants for the criminal including your attire. Dress in a business suit and you will attract a bad guy before that old tank top w/ dungarees.

Quote:
If you really wanted to teach your son a lesson in awareness and safety, you would have left as soon as you realized that you were not in the safeset location.
Ain't perfect. Try like heck to be safe but ain't perfect.

Quote:
You would also teach him that it is not wise to go into questionable areas wearing thousands of dollars worht of jewlery.
Done. Taught (both boys) that people will rob you for a pair of expensive sneakers much less a pocket full of cash. Since I don't remove the chain or wedding band my approach is to stay out of the hood. I made a mistake and corrected it when it dawned on me.

BTW, Please send me a list of appropriate locations and times to wear my chain and wedding band.