The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 28, 2004, 08:26 AM   #1
gsmithp

L7A1 9mm subgun handloading info??

Is there any handloading information available for the L7A1 9mm subgun round? I just did a search and discovered it's not as expensive as I thought it would be but I'd still like to load my own if I can find reliable specs. thanks.
Old October 29, 2004, 11:44 AM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Not specifically, no - -

- - But any decent, full power (NOT necessarily +P or +P+ level) 9mm Luger --9x19mm-- ammunition should work fine. I've loaded up a lot of ammo with 116 gr. Ranier plated bullets and 6 gr. of Unique for use in various buzzguns. This works fine for typical short range blasting.

There is no reason any moderate load with 116 gr or 124 gr jacketed or plated bullets wouldn't work. Unique, H. Universal, or W231 powders are good propellents. I've never tried 9mm smg shooting with cast lead bullets, but I don't think it would be a good idea, due to excessive fouling at 9mm velocities. (Works fine in .45 ACP, though. )

Just bear in mind - - There is absolutely NO BENEFIT in brewing up "hot loads" for a submachine gun. Standard velocity ammo works fine for plinking and match use. You cannot hunt game animals with the gun, at least in MY state. Any load beyond standard design parameters endangers a high-dollar firearm.

Best of luck - -
Johnny
Old October 31, 2004, 09:56 AM   #3
gsmithp

I guess my only concern was dependable operation of those open bolt smgs with big, heavy bolts like the mp40. Isn't smg designated ammo designed for higher pressures and dependability rather than higher velocities? I'm an old man trying to learn something new, here. Thanks for your help!
Old November 6, 2004, 09:44 PM   #4
jwp

depends on the subgun johnny, i have m11 with garrison very slow fire conversion and a 115 fmj with 4.3 bullseye is required for reliable operation, this is +p or +p+ depending on the load book

uzi eats them fine but i won't run these in 16
Old November 7, 2004, 07:07 PM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

A point, concerning a particular subgun - -

jwp, I didn't understand the question to apply to custom modified, specially sprung items. I'd imagine it's possible to "spring-up" almost any selfloading firearm to the point where it won't work with standard ammo.

My experience with the L7A1 is limited to only two guns, and both ran fine on regular US commercial ammo - - Winchester 116 gr and Remington, don't recall the weight of the latter.

Maybe I'm not prosperous enough to really get into full auto fire, because I really can't stand the idea of ruining a very expensive SMG just to gain a few extra fps at the muzzle. I either shoot factory ammo or factory equivalent handloads and still have a pretty good time at it . . . .

Best,
Johnny