The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 31, 2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Super-Dave

Murcury insert for the benelli nova/super nova

Does the mercury insert make any felt differences in recoil on the benelli nova/super nova?

Or is it just a scam for your $48.00

George Orwell
Old December 31, 2009, 01:00 PM   #2
BigJimP

Its a matter of physics / a mercury reducer will reduce recoil on any gun ......

Is it a waste of money .....you'll have to decide that. From my perspective its inexpensive - but it may change the balance of the gun / alter the swing characteristics, etc - and none of that may be a good thing...

But in general - adding weight to a gun / and keeping the balance the same - is a great thing - regardless of the make or model of gun.
Old December 31, 2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Super-Dave

I guess the real question is can you feel a difference while firing?

George Orwell
Old December 31, 2009, 01:42 PM   #4
oneounceload

It will add a little weight - that will help reduce recoil a tad. The mercury acts to reduce felt, or perceived, recoil by using the fluid in the damper to spread recoil out over a longer period of time. To some degree, theoretically, it should do just that.

Whether the reduction amounts to enough for you is a personal determination only you can ascertain.
Old December 31, 2009, 05:53 PM   #5
ebutler462

A roll of dimes will work as well. Thirteen ounces is what you need.
Old December 31, 2009, 06:19 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Both Roster and Brezny report that the mercury reducers do nothing that an identical amount of weight similarly placed will not.

I've weighted shotguns with various stuff to reduce kick, change the balance or just experiment. A favorite is an old hull filled with shot and crimped hard. A 2 3/4 shells holds maybe 3.5 oz or so.

HTH....
Old December 31, 2009, 06:49 PM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
I've weighted shotguns with various stuff to reduce kick, change the balance or just experiment. A favorite is an old hull filled with shot and crimped hard. A 2 3/4 shells holds maybe 3.5 oz or so.
Except that if you do that, then your front balance has been thrown off by that amount.....better to balance out the addition of weight
Old January 1, 2010, 11:28 AM   #8
ebutler462

Magazine caps are available that are weighted. Also, golf club weights can be stuck to the barrel for balance. A roll of dimes in the stock, or anything that weighs 13 oz will do the job. Pack some shipping peanuts around it and you are good to go.
Old January 1, 2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

1 oz, depends on where it's put. I had set up my 870 TB with two hulls full of shot in the middle of the mag tube in between half a mag spring at each end. Balance was maintained when I added one hull so equipped in the stock. Both before and after, the balance point was near the front of the loading port.With the two hulls in the mag close to the balance point, it changed things less than if say, I had mounted a three shot extension putting the same weight closer to the muzzle and out side the hands.

That was about 10 oz of weight plus the spring action slowed down some of the recoil pulse similar to a gas auto.

Currently. the mag cap on Frankenstein has a 3" 1/4"x28TPI bolt mounted with the length full of washers. It weighs three oz and adds a little inertia to the swing when either the 21" or 26"LC barrels are mounted. Redneck Engineering at its finest.

Of course, I dressed it up with black electrical tape.....
Old January 1, 2010, 04:37 PM   #10
BigJimP

I think the mercury supressors work ....but I don't like the effect on the balance.

First - check the balance point on the gun ( mark it with tape - and a pencil ).

A better solution to me - go to a golf store - buy some lead tape(to weight golf clubs) and put 8 oz or whatever you need inside the stock (remove recoil pad ) and put it inside. But you'll need someting to position it, so it won't move around. Wrap it on a dowel or something ..... Then put another 8oz ( to keep the balance on the gun the same ) inside the forend of the gun. Some guns have more room than others. On a semi-auto as an example, I wrap the tape around the mag tube / on an O/U I would wrap it around the lower barrel or tape it to the inside of the forend.

Then check the balance point again ...

Move the weight - until its exactly the same as before. Its pretty easy to add 1 lb to a gun this way ...
Old January 1, 2010, 04:51 PM   #11
mwar410

I put them ( one on the cap, and one in the stock) when I set up my 391 PT . I love the extra weight and I think it reduces recoil, with an extra 20 oz. how could it not?
As for I putting lead in the stock, I always thought about the possibilities of the lead to produce dust, ie.shot.
I have an 870 that I used modeling clay in the stock, it's quiet and doesn't move.
Old January 1, 2010, 05:01 PM   #12
BigJimP

Based on my calculations - increasing the weight of a gun from 7 1/2 lbs to 8 1/2 lbs will reduce the recoil about 12% for any given shell fired.

That is why light guns - can really smack you .....
Old January 2, 2010, 01:05 AM   #13
olddrum1

I truly believe that the only thing that a mercury recoil supressor reduces is the weight of ones wallet.
Old January 2, 2010, 05:29 PM   #14
tzeigle

Suppressor in Benelli Nova

Hi,

My brother in-law and I both have Novas with the Mercury suppressors and I think they're worth it. We shoot big turkey loads so the balance and other issues mentioned by others probably aren't as big of a deal shooting out of a ground blind. As far as recoil reduction is concerned I won't take mine out for anything (the suppressor).
Old January 2, 2010, 05:56 PM   #15
LukeA

You can fill a lot of stock cavities with small shot for $50.
Old January 2, 2010, 06:45 PM   #16
BigJimP

There is liquid that flows inside the mercury supressor ... so its probably a little more efficient in reducing recoil than a static weight ( of the same weight ) .... and they come in different weights / but you're right, adding weight is a big deal on reducing recoil as well.
Old April 1, 2010, 07:19 PM   #17
KMO

So, has anyone dealt with this particular manufacturer of mercury recoil suppressors? I'm starting to think this is a snake oil pursuit...

www.mercuryrecoil.com
Old April 1, 2010, 08:34 PM   #18
dmac2572

My cousin has a Nova with the mercury inserts and he swears by the things. He says he can tell a significant difference in recoil reduction. I've only shot the gun with the insert and would hate to shoot it without the insert if they worked that well. That 3 1/2 mag rocked my world lol.
Old April 1, 2010, 10:59 PM   #19
zippy13

I fooled around with a BreaK-O brand unit that fits in the hole in my Remington's stock. I've also tired the hull full of shot in the mag tube. By placing a spacer between the hull and the end cap, you can adjust the balance point. As has been previously pointed out, any increase in the gun's mass will reduce kick. The change in mass also changes the swing. The closer the added weight is to the muzzle, the greater the change. The shot filled hull in the mag tube reduced kick and smoothed the swing. The Mercury Break-O unit in the stock didn't noticeably improve the swing.