The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 19, 2000, 10:05 PM   #1
bad_dad_brad

After much research and study, I decided that a 20 gauge pump shotgun would be the best shotgun for home defense so I purchased a Winchester 1300 Lady Defender 20 Gauge.

Boy did I get grief from the guys at work. "20 gauge, Lady Defender" girly gun.

Well, I can hit stuff with the 20 gauge, my shoulder doesn't get sore, and with magnum loads, I think I can defend against any two legged target save a T-Rex.

But, just to be sure, I would like some opinions from all you experts. Thanks.
Old April 19, 2000, 10:25 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Ask your "gun knowing" friends to stand in front of you while you shoot them with a 12 and your 20.

Then ask them if they can tell the difference.

The 20 gauge is a perfectly adequate shotgun for defensive use.

With friends like that, who needs village idiots?
Old April 20, 2000, 05:11 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The database shows no difference in effectiveness, one shot, one stop darn near all the time with either.

Bought a 20 ga Youth Express for the kids a coupla years back. Shot one quick exercise with it and #3 buck. Similiar scores and time to my 12 ga.

Also, taken a few deer with 20s over the years and seen many more taken. As near as I can tell, they drop from a 20,PROPERLY INSERTED, as fast as from a 12,PROPERLY INSERTED.

At typical HD ranges, you've got the lead hitting as a solid mass. Whether that lead is creating a 72 cal hole or a mere 56 cal is not critical....
Old April 20, 2000, 07:49 AM   #4
David Roberson

One of the gun rags recently had an article about HD use of the 20-gauge. Several authorities cited in the article said essentially the same thing as Mike and Dave did above. Also, one mentioned the point that the lighter recoil of the 20 makes for faster follow-up shots.

I'm seriously thinking getting about a 20 semiauto to join the 12 pump in my defensive shotgun battery.
Old April 20, 2000, 10:23 AM   #5
Buckeye61

As part of a defensive shotgun class that I took, we got to shoot our own shotguns in addition to a few that the range provided. One of them was a 20 gauge. Though my 12 gauge doesn't abuse my shoulder nearly as much as I thought it might, 20 gauge was even easier on it, and I felt I had much better control. And as some much more versed than I have pointed out, it's almost as effective if not equally as effective as a 12 gauge in various situations, including home defense.

~good luck~

Old April 21, 2000, 11:42 AM   #6
leedesert

Hey Brad,
I recently purchased they same shotgun. Mine is a T120 youth model. This is the model that came out in 1992 just before they started the 1300 series. It's a short stock 20 gauge with 20" barrel identical to the 1300 in every way.
I did the same research you are doing and posted the same question on TFL about 1 year ago. The results were the same. The 20 gauge is perfect. I've shot some 3"magnums and I can't immagine something that could fit through my window or door that would still be standing after that.
My dilema is this.
I can't decide what condition to keep it in.
If I leave it normal all I have to do is pump and shoot.
If I pump it with no round and then put safety on the pump locks up. This way in order to shoot I have to push the pump release button and then the safety and rack it.
Although this adds a step or two I feel safer that way. Also if I leave it normal and I grab the gun in a hurry it's possible to partially rack the pump if it's not locked. This can cause a round to get stuck side ways.
For now I grab my 20, push the pump release and rack it, and when ready to shoot push the safety and fire.

If there is a better way let me know.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16
Old April 21, 2000, 12:33 PM   #7
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

While I can use a 12ga with trap loads, I cannot deal with 12ga pump recoil using buckshot. I got the Lady Defender you mention and like it. Ammo selection is less in 20ga and costs more than 12ga but it works well enough for close range defense without scaring the user into flinching. Then again, I'd rather use an M1 carbine than a Garand in close quarters because of emphasis on handling and hitting the target fast over bullet performance.
Old April 21, 2000, 10:43 PM   #8
bad_dad_brad

To leedesert:

I keep mine in normal condition. Loaded but not chambered. One pump and I am ready.

This accomplishes a few things. One, the gun is safe by itself and without two positive actions can't be fired. Two, the sound of a pump shotgun being pumped is often all the deterent one needs from an intruder. The only disadvantage is one less round.

I really like the Win 1300. I looked at Mossbergs, but a savy dealer steered me towards the 1300 series. Very smooth action and well balanced. Great gun for the money.
Old April 22, 2000, 04:51 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

IMO, pumps used for HD should be kept "Cruiser ready" for safety reasons.

That's empty chamber, action locked closed, safety on, mag loaded.

While a few milliseconds slower, this makes it much harder for unauthorized, untrained persons(kids, perps,etc,) to create a hazardous situation. TRAINING will make you be able to charge and ready any shotgun in very short order.

One note about the 20s, which I do like. While recoil is less than that of the 12s, heavy loads will shake you a bit,especially when used in a lightweight 20. Also, the youth models butt is smaller than that of the larger/longer stocks, so recoil's more concentrated. The standard methods for reducing kick work with the 20, just remember there's always tradeoffs...
Old April 24, 2000, 05:41 AM   #10
leedesert

Thanks Dave,
That's the way I usually keep mine. I rack it with no round to lock the pump, then load it with 5 and put safety on. I actually have 3 steps to ready. Push the pump release button, rack it, and then when ready release the safety.
I was just concerned that adrenaline might mix me up.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16
Old April 24, 2000, 09:52 AM   #11
Coronach

A valid concern. Get a few dummy shells and drill yourself in readying the shotgun from however you decide to keep it.

Also, be utterly consistent in how it is kept and where it is kept.

Practice practice practice.

Mike

PS Our PD uses a variation of the cruiser-ready Senior McC described: chamber empty, tube loaded, action down and safety *off*...all you have to do is rack and *kachuck* you're ready for business.
Old April 24, 2000, 04:59 PM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're welcome, Lee. And Amen to Mike, consistency is the key here.

When you try some reloading and charging drills,do some from the support side. This will improve your handling and dexterity.

Just for grins, try a fast drill w/ the wepaon charged,safety off, and from cruiser ready. With practice, the difference in time will be miniscule...