The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 27, 2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Dimebolt

Benelli Supernova vs. Remington 870

I apologize if this post is old news, but the last one I found was a couple years old so I wanted to get some newer updated opinions to help guide me through my buying decision.

First of all hello to everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post!

I'm a pistol owner but I'm new to shotguns, so please exscuse me if my terminology is off. My purpose for the shotgun is strictly clay/trap/sport... never going to hunt with it.

As you have already read I've narrowed it down to two different 12 gauge models, the Benelli Supernova Synthetic, and the Remington 870 Express Synthetic, both in 26 or 28", and if you suggest one size or another, please tell me. Most people sware by either, so I'm confident that I'll be happy whatever choice I make. At this point I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Benelli, I like the bulkier look and feel, the Remington just looks and feels to slender to me, only held them though, never shot and don't think I'll get an opportunity to before purchasing. I like the sights on the Supernova. I also like the 2 piece idea on the super where the stock is seperate incase I wanted to add a pistol grip or other options in the future. I really like the comfortech system, which is one reason I'm going supernova or standard nova, and although they look the same people say the super feels much better, and doesn't have the rattle and other issues of the nova. But is the $100 diff between the 2 justifiable? So I've found an 870 for $319 in a 3" inch (which as I understand it should be fine since I wont ever hunt) and $350 in a 3.5". I've found a standard nova for $350 and a super for $450.

Thoughts or experiences please? To those in the Seattle Northsound area I've been to most places I can think of between Burlington and Lynnwood, but if you have another suggestion of anyone with a good deal I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for taking the time to read and thanks ahead for your input!
Old January 27, 2010, 06:01 PM   #2
grubbylabs

I have a Nova not a supper but I do have the recoil reducer in it. I did not think I would ever hunt with it but several hundred dollars later in duck gear I love my nova. It is a great gun as far as usability. It eats any thing I feed it and it always goes bang. I do not know about the 870 so I can't say one way or the other. But I just cleaned my nova for the first time in about 3 seasons and that was because the pump was a little stiff @ -3 or -4 degrees the other morning. It is easy to field strip if you ever have to, I did once I loaded a 3" shell that was a reload and the brass was out of shape. If you ever do decide to hunt the 3.5 capability might come in handy. I can shoot the 3.5 all day in mine and it does not bother me any.

The other reason for getting the Nova is that you said it felt better to you. I am sure the 870 is just as good a gun though, they have been making guns for a long time so they must be doing something right. I would go with what ever feels better in your hand. I have the 28" barrel and I don't think I have any advantage over any one with the shorter one.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Dimebolt

I don't mean this particular gun wont be used for hunting, I'm just not a hunter.

I read some complaints about forearm rattle among other things like a clunky feel (I can't imagine the super and the nova would feel any different) and the 1 piece stock, and the awful kick which you say you've remedied. That was a couple year old post though so maybe they've worked out the rattle.

What kind of recoil reducer system do you have, and what was the price?
Old January 27, 2010, 06:18 PM   #4
grubbylabs

it is a benelli mercury one I bought it the same day I bought the gun then the next year they sold it with it in the gun I think that is what makes it a supper nova. Not sure but mine did not really kick that bad before the reducer. And it seems to work really well for me I think it is a fairly smooth gun I can get off three shots pretty darn fast while shooting skeet or ducks. the reducer was 50.00 they are really easy to put in. if you can chew gum you can put one in.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:23 PM   #5
BigJimP

I don't think you can go wrong with either gun. A 3" chamber is enough / especially since you won't be hunting anyway. The only time a 3 1/2" chamber may become an issue is on Geese primarily / and even then a gun chambered in 3" is fine for me personally.

In general, for clay targets on a pump gun, I would go with a 28" barrel. It gives you a longer sighting plane - and will smooth out your swing a little.

I like the Benelli Comfort Tech system / I have it in a semi-auto model - the Super Sport - but that's a different animal.

In terms of prices / 2 places - and quit shopping ..... DJ's in Bothell will be cheaper than most / or Kesselrings in Burlington. If DJ's Loan and Sport in Bothell doesn't have one in stock / he can order it / get it in a few days. I'd be shocked if Kesselring doesn't have it in stock.

A gun you haven't looked at is the Browning BPS / its my favorite pump gun. They make a synthetic / but the walnut stocked Hunter model is a nice entry level gun as well.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...12&type_id=211
Old January 27, 2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Dimebolt

I took a quick peek at Browning's at the beginning of my search, but they kinda seemed to generally be out of my entry level price range. Looks like the synthetic Browning pump would be the stalker though, with an MSPR of $579 thats doable, is this a good one? I hate to introduce new guns into the picture when I'm so close to buying but I gotta have all the info so this is good. I'm absolutely adament about synthetic though, or rather anti-camo, anti-woodgrain.

I was just at Kesselring's today for the first time, I like it and they have some good prices, they had just the gun I'm looking for at $455 which was the best price I'd seen yet. But just a little south at the old Sportmans Warehouse they had the 3" Remington 870 at $319, which is the main reason I still haven't walked away from the 870 because thats a mighty appealing price. I called DJ's and I've been there before but I don't remember what he said though, which means it wasn't memorable.

One place I absolutely boycott is Discount Gun Sales, I've had issues with them before and contrary to being called "Discount" Gun Sales, they're generally more expensive than anyone else, but thats another matter, got a little sidetracked.

Thanks for all the wonderful information, I'm getting fired up!
Old January 27, 2010, 08:10 PM   #7
BigJimP

DJ's often beats Kesselrings prices ....but if you're really serous you need to go down there / not get prices over the phone. Get a firm price / give them 50% down or whatever ... They are way too busy / sell dozens of guns every day .....and way too many phone calls from "shoppers" not buyers although they try hard.

Nothing wrong with Kesselrings / I just like the owners at DJ's better ( its a family business ).

The old sportsman's warehouse is still getting their act together / but I agree stay out of Discount Guns. But buy from the guys you like / you're only going to find $ 20 - $ 30 difference in the same gun .....at the most and with gas at $ 3 a gallon .....

I like the Browning / my 2nd choice on a pump would be the Benelli with the comfort tech system in it / and a close 3rd for the 870. I like the bottom ejection of the Browning BPS, the safety on top of the tang ...and you're right, if you go synthetic, you have to go to the Stalker and its a little more because its a 3 1/2" chamber ( which you don't need in my opinion ).

No matter what / buy what you want. I still have the 2 BPS's I bought in late 70's ( a 12ga and a 20ga ) and I'll never sell them even though I have some very fancy Browning O/U's that I shoot most of the time now.

Take care. Gun Shows in Puyallup and Monroe are a waste for any decent shotguns by the way. But you can't buy a gun at the show either / unless you join Wash Arms Collectors / but I recommend you do that - its a good group.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:16 PM   #8
Dimebolt

Thanks I'll run down to DJ's tomorrow and see what they can do for me... If I remember correctly they open at like 9:30 yah?

The Stalkers are typically about the price of the Supernova? About $450-$500?

Havent picked one up yet, is it more of a slender feel like the 870 or a bulkier feel like the super?

Were you Saying dont go to the gunshow? (waste?)

Thanks again for all your help.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:22 PM   #9
mathman

I've had them both and don't particularly care for either one. The 870 feels better to me, but I've had problems with 870s.

It's only Benelli autos for me.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:41 PM   #10
oneounceload

You sound like you've already made up your mind and you're looking for approval on a purchase difference of about $100. That amounts to nothing over the lifetime of the gun. If you really like the Nova, then get it. If you shot any amount at all, that $100 will be equalized in about 1 month.
Old January 31, 2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Dimebolt

Thanks for the help guys!

Thanks for all your help, there she is, Benelli Super 12/28.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1548.jpg (235.2 KB, 117 views)
Old January 31, 2010, 12:15 PM   #12
grubbylabs

Supper you will like your new purchase. I do think they shoot nice.
Old January 31, 2010, 01:13 PM   #13
AZwarts

The 870 is 2lbs lighter than the nova (8lbs). Those extra pounds do make a big difference when carrying your weapon for a while.Also, The action on the benelli is not as smooth as the remington out of the box.
Old January 31, 2010, 01:26 PM   #14
LukeA

Quote:
The 870 is 2lbs lighter than the nova (8lbs). Those extra pounds do make a big difference when carrying your weapon for a while.Also, The action on the benelli is not as smooth as the remington out of the box.
1.) Thank you for crapping on the gun the guy already bought. That's very helpful.

2.) Show me your 6lb 870.
Old January 31, 2010, 07:26 PM   #15
Dimebolt

Hah! No biggy, I did extensive research between these 2 models, hence the name of the thread, and I was definate in deciding on this one, it just feels so much better in my hands than that scrawny slender little 870