The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 4, 2008, 10:50 AM   #1
SoldiersSon

RIA 1911 for IDPA?

I started a thread in the semi-auto forum questionning whether a RIA 1911 would be a good choice from IDPA competition. I seem to only be getting feedback about the gun itself, which is okay but I'd like to know if I'd fair better by buying a Glock to shoot in the SSP division, or going with the 1911 for CDP. From what I've read, CDP is where all 1911's shoot whether they be low-budget RIA's or high-dollar customs. Is that correct?

Last edited by SoldiersSon; December 4, 2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old December 4, 2008, 03:17 PM   #2
RickB

There are also a fair number of 9mm and .38 Super 1911s in ESP division, but .45s are mostly all in CDP (you can shoot your .45 in ESP, but there's no good reason to, unless all the competition at a given match is in ESP). If your RIA has the tiny G.I. sights, that will be something of a hindrance, but when the distance to targets is rarely more than ten yards, and round counts are low, reliability is the more important factor. If your gun runs 100%, you are way ahead of the game.
Old December 4, 2008, 03:38 PM   #3
NRAhab

It's not a bad starting point for a CDP gun; in the sense that like all the other CDP guns it's a single action 1911 in .45 ACP. The problem with an RIA gun (and any mil-spec or GI gun, for that matter) for competition are the itty-bitty military style sights, which are hard to acquire quickly and unfriendly for fast follow-up shots.

That being said, it would make a good starter gun, in the sense that it would be more than enough for you to shoot it and decide if you enjoy the sport, without laying out the money for a high-dollar 1911 loaded with bells and whistles. A Glock, shot in SSP would also be good for that.
Old December 5, 2008, 11:32 AM   #4
ZeSpectre

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I've also been wondering if my RIA tactical would "fit the bill". sounds like the answer is yes.
Old December 5, 2008, 12:19 PM   #5
mavracer

A ria tactical would be an ideal starting point for IDPA CDP class. that's the wonderful thing about IDPA it's not an equipment race.a basic 1911 with good sights and a mag-well that runs 100% is all you need to be competative.
IE it won't be the guns fault.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 15, 2008, 07:22 AM   #6
nass

Don't even need a magwell...
Old December 17, 2008, 08:15 AM   #7
rduckwor

Quote:
Don't even need a magwell...
Certainly not starting out, but after you begin to understand the game, it helps. And . . you don't need the most expensive magwell, anything that helps funnel that mag into the grip well will help.

RMD