The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 24, 2012, 07:32 PM   #26
Amsdorf

Pictures? Please?
Old August 24, 2012, 08:16 PM   #27
Doctor H

1847 walker just arrived

Thanks Hellgate and mykeal---I just want to take this slowly. I really love this piece! I compared it to my 1860 Army and the size differential is truly amazing. I will double check everything, like the direction of entry---you just never know.
Old August 24, 2012, 09:36 PM   #28
Chowmif16

Felt wads and yellow jackets!

I'm with Doc Hoy on the felt wad issue. I have shot percussion revolvers for 16 years and always thought that felt wads were for people who wanted to spend money...
I usually used cream of wheat or nothing, and smothered crisco over the ball to help with fouling. After seeing the post on home-made wads, I just bought the felt and beeswax to make them on the cheap.

I do believe that this is the first time I've heard of shooting wasps with a pistol! Well done. I did once shoot a wasp's nest with a full chamber of powder and no ball. Big black spot on the roof of the shade canopy, and no nest remaining...

As mentioned in a previous post, there is a wealth of info on cap n ball revolver shooting/tuning here and on other forums.
Chowmi
Old August 25, 2012, 12:48 AM   #29
ROGER4314

Thumbs up on the wedge being installed too tightly.

Flash
Old August 26, 2012, 12:35 AM   #30
Whetstone70

Shims

On my Pistols I cut round Shim from machinist shimstock or you can use feeler gauges for shimstock. This puts an end to the arbor dilemma and you can adjust as fine as you want.
VFW Life Member
Old August 27, 2012, 12:37 PM   #31
Doctor H

1847 Walker Just Arrived

Regarding the tight wedge issue [again]---I double checked that I was inserting the wedge from the right side, which I was, and I also did some minimal lubing to the wedge to ease the fit. Bottom line, it was still tough to insert.

I then fully removed the wedge and looked into the arbor---again remembering I am new to black powder guns, I noticed that there appeared to be two protrusions into the rectangular arbor: they are likely circular in cross section, and looking in from the right side of the Walker, the closer one is on the right, the one on the far side is on the left.

My suspicion (please correct me if you know) is, if these are not flaws, that these help to align the wedge when reinserted. However, I watched a "YouTube" video of cleaning/reassembling the Walker and the young man in the video reinserted the wedge with thumb, not plastic hammer, pressure.

I have e-mailed Cabelas on this but would like you input---perhaps time, and wear will make insertion easier but I just want to insure this is not a flaw.

Thanks much and I have really appreciated the help.
Old August 27, 2012, 12:38 PM   #32
Doc Hoy

Photos...

A photo would be helpful here.
Old August 27, 2012, 05:57 PM   #33
Shotput79

When I bought my first Uberti Dragoon I noticed that most all the Dragoons the man had in the case had the same problem with the wedge you could take your finger and push the wedges back and forth. I went on and got the one I wanted anyway and after firing a couple cylinders full it went to working like it should. I tried to show the guy in the store what was causing the problem that the wedge was almost bottomed out and the cylinders were hard to turn when you pulled the hammer back. I think he was more in to getting them sold than lessing to me. I mean what the heck do I know.