The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Lemmon

Accurate Electronic Powder Scale???

Has anyone found one that is stable and does not float up and down all over the place. I have been disappointed in the RCBS one I have. Is there a good economical accurate electronic powder scale out there????

Thanks for responding.

Lemmon from Rural SC..
Old January 16, 2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Wyoredman

Strange? My RCBS matches my Lyman beam scale very closely. Drafty reloading areas do affect both, though.

I do see 0.1 gr fluctuation in weights if weighing powder thrown from a volume based measurer, but I have yet to see that it matters when I get the ammo to the range.

When I first got an electronic scale, it nearly drove me batty trying to get every charge "dead nuts" on.

I changed my view on powder weights after I began shooting ammo made with "dead nuts" charges and thrown powder ammo varying +-0.2 gr accross a chronograph. I saw absolutly zero differance in ES, Avg, and SD in the velocities!

Electronic scales and dispensers are great for loading rifle ammo and verifying thrown pistol ammo charges. I don't think they help or hurt one hole accuracy, though.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Lemmon,

You may have one that drifts. It happens. You can send it to RCBS for repair. Their customer service is excellent. But before you do that, try several things:

First make sure that no computers or fluorescent lights are operating anywhere near the scale. The interference can mess them up.

Second, take a computer interruptible power supply and plug that into the wall then the scale into it to get the internal filtering. This works even if the unit's battery is long dead. You just want the filter. Fluorescent lamps and computers not only radiate interference through space (the reason for the first step), they can put interference into an AC line, and that's what the second step addresses.

Third, leave it running fifteen or twenty minutes before using it to make sure it has warmed up.

Fourth, use a cardboard box on its side as a draft shield and make sure it is where the temperature is steady. You'd be surprised how much forced air from a heating ducts can upset a measurement this delicate.

If you don't get satisfaction from RCBS, take a look at the $75 battery-powered scale the Brian Enos is selling. I called him to inquire about them and he told me they're stable and he's never had one returned. Batteries may seem like a nuisance, but they give you immunity from line noise so you don't need the computer UPS.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 16, 2013, 03:49 PM   #4
amamnn

This is addresses not only to the OP but the 10 people who have the same experience, but don't post......for this and the other 35 posts like it....................along with what was mentioned in replies above..........................RCBS is as good as any of the more inexpensive digital scales, but all I see is complaining and none of the following:

I did not see any mention of the steps you took to control static, breezes blowing on it (like from AC or heaters) power fluctuations and whether or not you actually did follow the directions that state you need to warm up the unit before use, nor did I see anything about the use of check weights when calibrating the scale or how often you calibrate it. If all that seems like too much to deal with, a digital scale might not be for you.

Personally, I would not have a real use for a digital over my old balance beam if it were not that my digital also attaches to my dispenser and I can weigh and adjust within .01 gr.+/- each and every charge for match loads much, much faster than with a balance beam and a volumetric powder measure or dippers used in conjunction with a trickler. Loads used for plinking or in handguns don't even need to be that tight a tolerance. I used to use the digital to check up on every 5th powder drop when loading for the tiny cartridges like .32 acp. and .380, but I have gone back to dippers for them, since I found that measure can drop number 1,2 4, and 5 fine and bridge on number 3. Looking into the case does not guarantee anything either as it is not possible to eyeball the difference between 2.2 grains and 1.9 grains which can be the difference in those little cases and/or in reduced loads for cowboy action .38 loads if you (as I was) are too cheap to go out and buy a jug of Trail Boss and tried to use your existing 1/2 pound of Bullseye--but that's another story, sorta.

Last edited by amamnn; January 16, 2013 at 04:10 PM.