The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 30, 2012, 11:01 AM   #76
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrain
...So a good question is, is the course or competition realistic?...
That's not necessarily the question. Of course competition by its nature will be unrealistic. The purpose of "practical" competition is to practice and test basic skills stress: moving quickly and safely with a loaded gun; shooting quickly and accurately; engaging multiple targets shooting from unconventional postures or awkward positions; manipulating objects while shooting (e. g., opening doors, carrying things, etc.), reloading, among others.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old July 30, 2012, 11:51 AM   #77
BlueTrain

You mean it can't be realistic? Well, you just killed the whole thing right there, I think.
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 30, 2012, 12:06 PM   #78
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrain
You mean it can't be realistic? Well, you just killed the whole thing right there, I think.
If that's what you think, then you simply don't understand what I, and others who train and compete, have said.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old July 30, 2012, 07:30 PM   #79
iamdb

If you are looking for law enforcement training, competitions don't really offer that. They do not simulate pulling someone over for a seatbelt ticket while standing in the interview stance, and having to engage multiple perps from hard cover until back up arrives.

If you want to simulate getting robbed while taking money out of the atm machine than IDPA is for you. If you would like to find the limitations of you skill and your hardware while improving fundamental mechanics such as drawing from holster and shooting at multiple targets quickly than just about any action shooting sport will fill your needs.

I see no reason to make such a science out of it. Just try it or stick with the idea that comps = death in the street
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old July 30, 2012, 10:53 PM   #80
SG29736

Can receiving high quality tactical/self defense training and then following it up with virtually no real practice, other than standing in one spot and shooting slowly at the local range, a couple of times a year, get you killed if a real self defense situation confronts you? Mark
Old July 30, 2012, 11:26 PM   #81
MLeake

It seems to me that you keep shifting criteria and arguments, BT.

But what they all really seem to come back to, eventually, is that you really don't want to spend the money on ammo, nor the time for training, and so you are looking for justifications.

I'm basing this on statements such as:

Quote:
(You were discussing old-time writers, so these weren't your direct words, but)... to some, target shooting and any form of practical pistol competitions were really a luxuary that they just didn't have time for....

(These were your words about yourself.) For the rest of us, going out every week and shooting up your gas money to hone your shooting skills is really a luxuary from a cost standpoint.
You don't really need justifications for not spending time nor money. It's your time, and it's your money.

Several of us have pointed out that the mindset you bring into a competition has a lot to do with the value you get out of the competition; that you can look for clubs and organizations that hold competitions which stress those things you find important; that you can find competitions where you can use your preferred carry weapon (so long as you aren't too worried about winning the competition, per se - but if you are good you still might have a shot).

My conclusion is that your mind was made up before you asked your questions. At least, it sure seems that way.

If that is true, then competitions may not be for you.

I still think you might try one or two, though, as you might find that you enjoy them. You might even find they show you things you might improve, be it with regard to shooting skills or equipment functionality.
Old July 31, 2012, 02:18 PM   #82
Nanuk

Quote:
Can receiving high quality tactical/self defense training and then following it up with virtually no real practice, other than standing in one spot and shooting slowly at the local range, a couple of times a year, get you killed if a real self defense situation confronts you? Mark
Here is the deal, anything can get you killed. You can do everything right and get shot, frequently, the time it takes to get to a good trauma center is the difference between life and death.

Those of us that train body and mind, hone our skill sets to be the best we can be are doing all we can do to help up survive a lethal encounter.

That is why I carry and shoot the best combat weapon I can, with several reloads. To some it may seem wasteful to shoot that much or uncomfortable to carry that gun, that is just who and what some of us are.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old July 31, 2012, 02:56 PM   #83
BlueTrain

I'm sorry fellow, if I've confused you. It's not my money; it's my lack of money! It's not so much that my mind is made up so much as my circumstances are fixed.

I used to shoot and reload quite a bit. I even had a couple of friends that were into shooting. That was then; costs have risen, my income has dropped and is set to drop drastically.

You really should open yourself up to the fact that not all gun owners are dedicated pistoleros like yourself.
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 31, 2012, 03:00 PM   #84
Glenn E. Meyer

That's it, kids. Pulling the plug. Some members are deliberately trying to be argumentative in an inappropriate manner.

The consensus is that common sense practice, competition and training are to your benefit. If that makes us pistoleros, recall this is The Firing Line.

Closed