The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 24, 2008, 06:48 PM   #1
GTR645

Drop Leg Holster for Multiple Pistols?

Hi All!

I currently own a P226 and would like to eventually own a full size USP, 1911, and a Beretta 92. Can anyone suggest a leg holster that would accomodate all of these pistols? I don't have enough funds to purchase individual molded holsters.
Old April 24, 2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Boris Bush

I have a Blackhawk full flap leg holster that will fit all of them pistols. Just google them and go to thier website and get one........
Old April 24, 2008, 08:56 PM   #3
GTR645

Boris-

Do you know the exact name or model # of your Blackhawk holster? It looks like some of the Omega holsters only fit certain pistols.
Old April 24, 2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Boris Bush

http://www.botachtactical.com/blachawomvia4.html

This is the one above in that link that I had from '92 until '06 when I gave it to a buddy.

This is the one I use now. Both will serve you very well. I like the one I have now better because it is more stable than the one I used to have.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=40XP00&C=C0897

I hope this has helped some........
Old April 24, 2008, 11:35 PM   #5
GTR645

Boris-

Thanks for the info and pics! Is a drop leg holster better than a hip holster for range use?
Old April 25, 2008, 01:41 AM   #6
mellow_c

I have a simple Sigma 9mm by S&W. And it fits incredibly well in this holster

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TAC125-47687-1968.html

I've found my Browning buck mark to fit equally well. And As far as quality goes, I was blown away. I could not believe how nice this holster was when I got it. I've used it quite a few times up in the mountains hiking around, and target shooting. And it's fantastic. I'm not exactly sure if it will fit all the guns you mentioned, but I really think it would. The quality and material is far greater than it's $15 price.

It really holds in place on your leg, and to your belt. I really like the thumb break on it, makes for a smooth and quick draw. I couldnt imagine anything going wrong with mine ever. I was tempted to buy another one for later in life, in case I wear this one out.

Oh yeah, everything on it is adjustable. For $15+ shipping, it's really worth a try. I'd probably pay $40 for it. I liked it better than anything else I was able to find.

Last edited by mellow_c; April 25, 2008 at 01:43 AM. Reason: addition
Old April 25, 2008, 06:44 AM   #7
Boris Bush

GTR645

I have never used mine while at the range. I use it 100% of the time I go hiking or hunting to keep room around my hips for my pack like the one in the picture.........

Last edited by Boris Bush; April 25, 2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old April 27, 2008, 01:57 AM   #8
tc556guy

Quote:
Is a drop leg holster better than a hip holster for range use?
Matter of personal preference. Personally, I think the one-size-fits-all" holsters compromise too much to fit as many weapons as possible, but thats me.
Old April 27, 2008, 09:48 AM   #9
BamaBowtie

Buy a Fobus drop leg rig and as you buy new guns just buy the Fobus holster to fit them.
Old April 27, 2008, 09:59 AM   #10
DonR101395

Multi-use items IMHO don't do any of those uses well. I like my leatherman, but it's only a so-so screw driver, barely passable knife and the pliers work ok in a pinch. If you've got limited funds maybe you should buy gear for one gun before buying a bunch of guns you can't support with items you want for them.
Old April 27, 2008, 10:16 AM   #11
Boris Bush

GTR645

Don't listen to them guys. Over the years my first holster I pictured up yonder carried a G17L, SIG P229, P225, P226 (two different ones), Taurus PT-92, Colt 1991A1, and some others I probably forgot about......

There is nothing wrong with being smart and buying a holster that will work with all the pistols you want. You would be more stupid (not saying you are or anyone else is) to waste money on dedicated holsters that gotta go when you get something new and holster resale value is nill. Try asking for $150.00 extra when you trade it in from the dealer, you will be laughed at and if it is a face to face, "you don't need it anymore and I aint gonna shell out extra $$ for it, just give it to me........."

Get the holster, I have used one (since 1992) so I speak from experience, this aint what I think is best for you, I know it is. Use the extra money you save to buy ammo or other goodies...........
Old April 27, 2008, 10:26 AM   #12
DonR101395

Quote:
Get the holster, I have used one (since 1992) so I speak from experience, this aint what I think is best for you, I know it is. Use the extra money you save to buy ammo or other goodies...........

Just because you compromised on gear doesn't mean everyone should. I've used that holster as well. I've also used every other holster in the Blackhawk line. IMHO, they are all less than stellar. Many are outright junk. I got everyone of them for free and still chose to buy my own.
Old April 27, 2008, 11:01 AM   #13
Boris Bush

yawn
Old April 28, 2008, 02:24 AM   #14
mellow_c

I'd just like to emphasize the quality and usability of the holster I recommended one more time! If you haven't checked it out, go click on the link, and read everyone's reviews. For $20 shipped, you cant lose.
Old April 28, 2008, 07:28 AM   #15
KChen986

I'd have to give a +1 to the blackhawk drop leg. I've used mine for a couple of years in Airsoft matches, and have adjusted the holster for everything from a MK23 replica to a Beretta M92 replica and never lost guns in it through all the crawling, dashing and jumping etc. etc.

Provided, it's airsoft...but still, it's proven to be pretty reliable and useful place to store a pistol.
Old April 28, 2008, 09:56 AM   #16
GTR645

Quote:
DonR101395 said:
If you've got limited funds maybe you should buy gear for one gun before buying a bunch of guns you can't support with items you want for them.
I know that I will eventually be able to purchase all the pistols I listed, but the reason why I don't want individual holsters is because I wouldn't like the idea of taking off the holster each time I use a different gun. At the range, I like to bring as many firearms as possible!

I guess the Fobus Roto Holster Thigh Rig is the best solution since it combines individual holsters and a drop leg mounting platform, but I can see the cost rising quickly...

Anyways, I decided to get a Blackhawk SERPA holster for my SIG P226 until I get more pistols. By then, I'll most likely get the Blackhawk Special Operations holster. Thanks for everybody's input!