The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 18, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Buckeye!

Just bought a Uberti 357

Just purchased Uberti 1873 Cattleman Hombre 357 Mag ,one of those listed on Gun Broker for 250.00

I'm not into western style shooting ..I just really wanted a dependable 357 Mag.. that i could carry while working in the pasture, and checking the springs and such..i once had a used and very worn Black Hawk 357 mag 3 screw ,that fit that bill ..but i let it go to a fellow who was going to restore her..

I looked into getting a lesser priced K frame DA ..but really didn't want sights..and relly didn't know how it would hold up to the ruff treatment ,
After ready about these Uberti's i figured they would fit the bill...

i may have the barrel bobbed to 3.5 inches..or such, but I guessI'll see how she runs first...
At this price it was hard to pass up.. !!!
Old March 18, 2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Beagle333

That looks pretty good, and a good price. I hope it's a great pistol. Let us know how it shoots?
Old March 18, 2012, 06:45 PM   #3
OutlawJoseyWales

I bought 2 of these in .357 because they were so cheap. Although the finish is a little odd, these are fine well made pistolas. I'm not a SASS guy, but wanted 2 of them just in case I do in the future. I've only fired them with .38's, they are alot of run and pleasure to shoot.
Enjoy, I think they are great.
OJW
Old March 18, 2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Hellgate

I did what Josey did and bought two. One of them went out of time and it turned out to be a broken trigger/bolt spring. I got a spare from my cap & ball parts box and it ran fine again. I had been working the action repeatedly with snap caps to break it in and probably had a 1000 cycles on it. The Hombre action is quite smooth compared to my stable of C&Bs but once I felt the action of a Taylor's Uberti Cattleman there was no comparison. The Taylor's was like butter. So I put a Wolfe spring kit into each gun and now they are like butter. For a rugged working gun around the ranch the spring kit isn't going to be needed. In fact, it made the trigger pull lighter which may be a problem or not. We'll see. I am planning on using them for the occasional Cowboy Action Match or team shoot. Otherwise, I would have left them alone. Both shot right to POA from the bench. The 357s are a little heavier than the 45s. I think you'll find the barrels are not too long for carry. I like the matte finish as there is no glare in the sun as with the blued and stainless varieties. An again, for 250 bucks they are a sweet gun. Mine run fine with black powder too.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 19, 2012, 06:19 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

I have taken on...

...a new appreciation for the revolver.

Congrats on the find.