The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2012, 11:11 PM   #1
gearmonkey

.30-06+Accubond180's for moose...help

I am going on a Newfoundland Moose hunt in October 2012. I have a Winchester model 70 (post64) and my son who is also going has a Tika light in .30-06. We have had very good accuracy with Winchester superX 180 grain power-points. Our friend Jack who is also going says we should reload some AccuBonds in 180 grain because they will hold togeather better on Moose.
My question begins here. I have the AccuBond bullets....once fired Winchester brass...what would you recommend for starter loadings as far as powder selection? approx grain....Primers? and do you think the decision to load AccuBonds is the best choice for Moose?
Can you suggest an alternative bullet should the accubonds not fly right? I realize a moose can only get so dead, but were really into this hunt and have the time to work up loads. Any help appreciated. P.S. me and son bought Redfield Revolution scopes 3-9X50mm.....they are awesome scopes! I was grouping 5 shots in 3" at 300 yards compensating a 9" drop with the Winchester super x 180's which were a bulk buy of 200 rounds with dry box at Cabelas! Dead on at 200....3" high at 100yrds. I'd hate to see my accuracy suffer. My sons Tika is new and has maybe 90 rounds through it. His groups were comparable...he just needs more range time and perhaps break in.
Old February 2, 2012, 11:58 PM   #2
sidewindr

BARNES TRIPPLE SHOCKs or one of their newer designs.I've never seen another bullet with as deep a penetration or high weight retention as them.I shot a bull elk head on and after going through a shoulder bone and four ribs ,the bullet was found between the rear quarters.It was only 6gr lighter than what it started.The down side to them is not all rifles shoot them as accurate as other qulity bullets.Plus they are expensive,but I look at the fact that I'd rather spend a few bucks more to have a better bullet and garanteed performance.
Old February 3, 2012, 05:50 AM   #3
HiBC

The Accubonds should work well.If this is mostly a Moose hunt,I will suggest the refined ballistic shape is not really necessary.You hopefully are not considering long range shooting at your moose.

Not saying the Accubond is wrong,but a partition is not wrong,either.

Study your load manuals.I bet RE-19 and H-4350 will be in the zone.

And,while I shoot handloads for everything,look at offerings like Hornady light Mag and some of the other premium loadings.You can get some premium bullets.
Old February 3, 2012, 07:55 AM   #4
steve4102

Accubonds will work, but I prefer Partitions. IMR 4350 is a classic in the 30-06 as is R-22.
Old February 3, 2012, 04:42 PM   #5
gearmonkey

Thanks guys....I never even looked at Barnes bullets. I did copy a load sheet from Nosler to get some idea of what powder etc. What about primers? any preferences? And the once shot Winchester superX brass should be fine? I wouldent figure case trimming would be needed?
This is going to be fun...I never reloaded before and Jack who has been on several succesfull elk hunts has always used hand loads a friend of his makes up for him. This will be my first experience at reloading. It does add a new dimension to the whole experience.
Old February 3, 2012, 05:14 PM   #6
PawPaw

Primers? It doesn't make any difference, they're all good in the .30-06. Follow the load data you have, it'll tell you what primer they used to work up the loads.

Powder? Lots of good powders for the .30-06. I currently use IMR 4895, Reloder 19 and Reloder 22, but there are lots of good powder out there for the cartridge.

Those 180 grain Accubonds should do fine, as will the Barnes or the Partitions. Take your choice.

Above all, y'all be safe and have lots of fun. Oh, and realize that a Moose is a big ole critter. The closer to the truck you can shoot him, the less you'll have to drag him.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 4, 2012, 07:45 AM   #7
Uncle Buck

Quote:
The closer to the truck you can shoot him, the less you'll have to drag him.
Amen!
Old February 4, 2012, 09:34 AM   #8
JerryM

Any of the bullets mentioned will do fine unless you take a shot at a bad angle.
All things being equal I would prefer the Barnes X. Use their load data, and you will be fine.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old February 4, 2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Colorado Redneck

Do some reading about Barnes

Seems the pure copper used in Barnes hunting bullets is softer than gilding copper, and if your barrel has roughness in the lands or grooves, you can get copper fouling. Some swear by Barnes, and I am not bad mouthing the brand. Just pointing out what I experienced. If you foul your bore, then you need to clean out the copper, which should restore accuracy. That isn't as easy as a dry patch and a kiss.

I prefer a bullet I can shoot a lot without fouling the barrel. Just funny that way. Barnes is a fav for 22 Hornet. And they have a great web page.
Old February 4, 2012, 07:43 PM   #10
hooligan1

If it were me, and this IS a trip of a lifetime, (maybe, for me anyway) I'd go to the range and try all those and a few more probably.
I have used the Nosler line of bullets for over thirty years, handloading them for twenty, and they work well on critters, when they areplaced accurately.

Try that 180 grn Partition, as well as the Accubond, they're dependable, and deadly when accurately placed shots are the norm.
Old February 4, 2012, 11:18 PM   #11
gearmonkey

I bought this Winchester model 70 10 years ago used for a deer hunt in Vermont. I did not know diddlysquat about center-fire rifles. I bought it with a Bushnell Banner 4-12 X40mm scope on it. I could not group well at all. I went and saw nothing (no deer!)....so no issue. 10 years later I discover copper fouled bore severe...spent days cleaning and used butchs bore shine to get the final bore gleaming. The REDFIELD Revolution 3-9X50 scope and the cleaning really made the difference! That Banner scope? Pure junk! I am waiting to hate someone enough in my life to make a gift of it....lol
I truly thought the gun was the culprit. I will never own another Bushnell product again. Been too disappointed too many times with 2 other Bushnell scopes and a crappy pair of binoculars! They are Tasco's sister to me! Plus a guy next to me at the range bought a Walmart Remington/Bushnell banner scoped gun to the range, in I forget what caliber....but his scope reticules broke in less than 50 rounds. No idea whats going on with that company.
Back on topic...I was at Cabelas today...touched everthing bought nothing!!! I got the sportsman's show in Harrisburg P.A. on Tuesday....I'll see the outfitter and afterwards....perhaps Thursday...I'll have some loads to try. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. Hope I did not offend any Bushnell guys....I just never had any luck with them. I still have one on my 2nd slug gun. Its getting replaced with a Nikon pro-sport probably from the show.
Old February 5, 2012, 02:37 AM   #12
math teacher

My friends and I have killed 17 moose using 160 grain Accubonds from 7mm Rem. Mags at distances from 30 to 400 yards. I am confident that 180 grain Accubonds in your 30-06 will work equally well.
Old February 6, 2012, 08:51 AM   #13
GroovyMike

Any 180 grain in a 30-06 cartridge will work just fine for moose.
I recommend a IMR4350 load.