The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 1, 1999, 09:27 AM   #1
Matt VDW

How many types of magazines are there for .22 conversion units for 1911-style pistols? I can think of half a dozen units and I think there are at least two different types of magazines. Which ones will interchange?

Conversion units:

Colt Ace

Colt Ace II

Argentine Systema Something-or-Other

Kart

Day

Jarvis

Ciener (same as Baer and Kimber, I think)

Marvel

Did I miss any?

Old September 1, 1999, 10:45 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I don't know how many mag. varienses there are for the .22 colt conversion. If you are needing one, I would suggest staying with the Colt mag. Then you can be resaonably assured it will work. I reall never had the conversion to .22 work for me.

HJN
Old September 1, 1999, 03:48 PM   #3
Daniel Watters

A) The Colt, Kart, Peters Stahl (also sold under the Pachmayer label), and Jarvis (briefly marketed by Wilson Combat and Centaur Systems) conversions all use the Colt Ace magazine.

B) The Ciener, Wilson, Kimber, and Baer conversions can interchange magazines. This is little surprise since Ciener makes the conversion unit for the other three. However, these conversion reportedly won't work with the Colt Ace mags.

C) The original Bob Day 10X conversions used a special 5-shot insert which fit into a standard 1911 .45 magazine. I understand that his current production may be using Colt Ace mags instead.

D) I am not certain whether the Sistema Colt clones from Argentina faithfully copied Colt Ace pattern magazines. And I am also in the dark about the (Bob?) Marvel conversion.
Old September 2, 1999, 10:46 AM   #4
Matt VDW

Thanks for the info. That's just what I wanted!

BTW, in case you don't know, the Marvel unit is a new product from Bob Marvel. He had a prototype at Camp Perry this summer with some impressive 50 yard test targets. According to a machinist I know who looked at it, it's mechanically similar to the Kart conversion.