The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2009, 02:56 PM   #26
PCJim

10 Spot, I've done similar for mice. It's effective, and somewhat amusing to watch when you're sitting around a camp killing time. We used a 10 gallon bucket with water. Take an old sewing thread spool, run thread thru it and tie each end of thread off to the edge of the bucket, disecting the top area of the bucket evenly. Put peanut butter on the thread spool. Make a short ramp to allow mouse to get close to the spool. They jump for the spool, the spool rotates and mouse goes swimming and eventually secumbs to the water. Just make sure there is enough water that they can't touch bottom and jump out. One did that one time.
Old March 5, 2009, 03:20 PM   #27
tmd11111

Use the paintball gun, just remember to put the paintballs in the freezer over night first
Old March 5, 2009, 03:20 PM   #28
Mr Phil

Here you go - I forgot what my wife was using on the ground squirrels eating her strawberries in the garden this past fall. A Live Trap - got it for $20 bucks locally.

http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/1083

She would put the trap - squirrel and all in the back of my truck and I would let them loose - down the road a piece at the local Obama campaign chairman's house.

I am sure he is enjoying the 9 squirrels I left there ... him being a nature lover and all.

I see them in cavorting in his yard almost everyday and have a good chuckle on my way home.

Liberals are good for some things - no one can deny that.
Old March 5, 2009, 03:43 PM   #29
blue dingo

My Crosman 2100 .177 pump has taken dozens of the little thiefs. I've had a few run but they expire pretty quickly. They used to clear out the bird feeders within just a few hours. Now I hardly ever see them raiding the feeders. They will be all over the front yard but nary a one in the back. Best money I ever spent and tons O fun.
Old March 5, 2009, 04:33 PM   #30
SDLAW

One early morning my wife heard a loud clunking and scratching noise coming from above our bathroom. I assumed that a bird had gotten down the sewer vent pipe and crawled on the roof to investigate. You guessed it...a tree rat! Being the kind soft hearted guy I am , I lowered a length of nylon rope down the pipe so the critter could climb out while the wife and I went to work. I was late getting home that evening and arrived to find a very ****** off wife. The cute little creature had evidently decided that it was a fine time to do some underwater exploration. It eventually surfaced in the toilet and proceeded to make itself comfortable in our house. The carnage and resulting damage ensued when my wife returned home to discover the odoriferous invader. Obviously, this was all my fault, so I placed a double layer of plastic screen over the vent pipe and went to bed confident that the problem had been addressed. The next morning however the clunking and scratching had returned having chewed through the plastic screen, evidently emboldened by the sweet smell of success it had enjoyed the previous day. Rocky the Squirrel was about to meet Rocky Balboa. If it makes you liberal animal lovers feel better, I did re-locate the cute little guys, but they were bullet ridden. Thirty-seven furry carcuses later, my squirrel problem is over. There is a loaded 22 cal rifle and standing shoot-to- kill order in place at my house in case they return.
Old March 5, 2009, 04:47 PM   #31
protectedbyglock

My old man had a similar experience.
A couple squirrels decided to come in the corner of the roof. He decided it would be a good idea to use 3 or 4 cans of that foam insulation to block them out. Instead, he ended up blocking them in. There were two in the house that escaped through a couple of windows we opened up for them. After they escaped, they proceeded to chew out all the insulation, from the outside, to get back in.
Then it was 20ga time.
It's funny because he used to wonder why the neighbors always had squirrels and we didn't. Like he was upset that they never came around or something. Then they come, and it's an all out war to get rid of them.....
Old March 5, 2009, 06:59 PM   #32
SL1

If the squirrels are in the attic, the cure is to put moth balls in the attic. Let the squirrels decide to leave on their own because of the smell, then put "hardware cloth" (heavy duty screen) over their entry point(s). They won't try to get back in by chewing through it or around it.

I had to do this with raccoons. It worked. But, try to put the moth balls in a place where you can get them out after the critters leave. I just threw them into the eaves, and had t ohave the faint smell of moth balls in the house for about 6 months.

SL1
Old March 7, 2009, 02:54 AM   #33
totalloser

I thought the mob had it all figured out and used Thompson's for rats But on a slightly more serious note, here are a couple tricks that might (or might not) be amusing;

1. High school boredom weapon; Rubber bands taped to a pen tube used to launch a bamboo skewer. Decided not to use it on classmates after it fully penetrated the acoustic tile and went into the school attic.

2. Water balloon stretched over a milk jug opening. Place a BB in the balloon part like a slingshot. Hits like a red ryder! Deceptively accurate.

I wonder why I didn't do well in school...

3. An addition to the bucket trick: Poke a hole in the ends of a tin can and feed a wire through it. Stretch the wire across a bucket, and wipe some peanut butter on the can. Lay a stick against the bucket to the edge of the wire. The rats, voles, mice etc WILL find their way up there, and as soon as they start fooling with the can, it will roll and dump them in the bucket. Maybe not as sporting as picking them off the windowsill, shooting fish in a barrel, or rats in a bucket!
Old March 7, 2009, 08:02 AM   #34
45Marlin carbine

10spot nailed it. drowned the buggers. I bait a knife w/peanut butter and hang it over the kitchen sink when field mice invade every fall.
Old March 14, 2009, 11:44 AM   #35
Ricklin

Welsh Corgi

Great dog for rodents, smart too!

Best medicine for rats is Aguila Super Colibri .22 very quiet and potent. About eqiv. to pellet gun noise wise.

Available from your favorite retailer or etailer.

This round is made for .22 pistols, check your bore every shot if using in a rifle.

It's my favorite round for small pests.
Old March 14, 2009, 12:43 PM   #36
10 Spot Terminator

Kind of liking protectedbyglock's idea of trapping the liitle buggers alive and turning them loose elsewhere . Anyone have a list of address for the PETA head muckity mucks ?
Old March 14, 2009, 11:10 PM   #37
PCJim

Don't get me started on ranting on PETA.....
Old March 16, 2009, 12:21 PM   #38
marcodo

I'm all for the "Havaheart" trap...but...

They got into my attic and it became personal

Live to close to neighbors to shoot.

Took out my compound bow and the stalk was on.

Can't shoot unless they are on the ground (No tree shots) but man is that fun

Definitely challanging
Old March 16, 2009, 08:31 PM   #39
protectedbyglock

Ha ha... yes! Bow!
Better yet....Crossbow!
I've always wanted a reason to buy a crossbow, and now I think I have one.
Rat hunting!
The paintballs are in the freezer, btw. The have been since saturday. However, I realized late that my CO2 bottle was empty and I didn't have time to refill it. So if the crossbow idea doesn't pan out, I'm gonna hit it with some frozen paintballs.

I wonder how light I could load a .223 round? LOL.
Old March 16, 2009, 08:46 PM   #40
publius

CB caps out of a .22 rifle. Quieter than my Sheridan pellet gun.
Old April 1, 2010, 03:22 PM   #41
[email protected]

tree rats

This is a good thred we need to get it going again. I had a problem with tree rats and at the local flea mkt I bought a 4' blow gun. Got one thru midsection with a 6" dart and watched as he ran thru the tree like Curley of the Stooges trying to go thru a doorway carrying a ladder. YUK YUK YUK