The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 6, 2007, 04:04 PM   #1
Full-choke

Overall most dependable, most accurate slug gun?

What is the most dependable and most accurate slug gun out there? I'm talking overall value for the money you put into it, the performance will be the best.

I don't care what manufacturer, or model, your opinions only. I have though a long time about getting a dedicated slug gun and this year's deer season will be the deciding factor in whether or not I see it as I wise investment.

Give me everything on your dream slug gun...make, model, gauge, sights, barrel type, slug?

Thanks,
F-C
Old November 7, 2007, 01:38 PM   #2
longboard

Full-choke,
Do you have a Mossberg 500?
I just got a rifled barrel for mine from Mossberg and will be shooting it this weekend.
Longboard
Old November 7, 2007, 01:45 PM   #3
CGSteve8718

I think the reputation of the Remington 870 precedes itself.
Old November 7, 2007, 01:56 PM   #4
mikejonestkd

1. tar hunt: http://www.tar-hunt.com/
2. Rem 870 cantilever scope mount
3. moss 500 cantilever scope mount.
Old November 7, 2007, 02:53 PM   #5
roy reali

Slow But Dependable

The New England single shot slug gun is very dependalbe. At least for one shot.
Old November 7, 2007, 03:20 PM   #6
BigJimP

Browning BPS - its a good reliable action, very smooth and it ejects out of the bottom of the gun ( so good for left or right handed shooters). Street price is around $500 new.
Old November 7, 2007, 05:52 PM   #7
Yankee Doodle

Ugly as a bag of worms, only holds two in mag., and without a doubt the most accurate slug gun I have ever fired, Consistant 1 1/2 MOA with Brenneke slugs.
Savage Mod. 210 Bolt Action 12 Gauge rifle. (that's what Savage calls it)
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old November 7, 2007, 07:05 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Is it an auto loader or pump you would prefer? I do not know which shotgun is the most accurate. I do know that mossbergs in either action type are plenty darn accurate for any shot I would try. A pump slug gun is not 300 dollars which leaves plenty of money to buy a scope and practice ammo compared to many offerings. An auto loader Mossberg with slug barrel will cost less than some "finer" pump shotgun.I do know that the one "nearly unused" used winchester we had for a very short time earned the nick name "JAM-A-MATIC" regardless of the cleaning we did to it. We even took it the gunshop where they showed us the proper way to clean it. we were already doing it right so they did a thorough inspection and said it was in great shape. But the shop keeper did inform us that most folks never considered that model to be even remotely reliable.
Brent
Old November 8, 2007, 12:04 AM   #9
jrothWA

Best Slug guns...

Win M97 And Ithaca M37 from personal experience.
Old November 8, 2007, 10:58 PM   #10
Triple J

Slug Guns

Ithaca Deer Slayer & Remington 870. My Favorite
Old November 9, 2007, 12:50 AM   #11
Boris Bush

Slug guns are odd creatures. I have a M37 copy made in china my wife bought me for x-mas that cost her $134.00. That slug gun shoots the tightest groups I have ever fired from a slug gun ever. Every brand shoots honest one hole groups at 50 yards with slight changes in POI when I switch brands of slugs. The top honors go to some old 3" Activ slugs I still have followed by Winchester Powerpoints........
Old November 9, 2007, 10:20 AM   #12
FirstFreedom

I'd imagine either that Tar-Hunt, or the Savage 210, for top accuracy, and nearly perfect reliability:

http://www.savagearms.com/210f.htm
Old November 9, 2007, 12:38 PM   #13
Full-choke

Hmm...I was really thinking semi-auto, but Pump wouldn't be bad either. I'm not a fan of a bolt slug gun, don't know why, just doesn't have an appeal.

I like the looks of the Ithaca 37 Deerslayers. Those are pretty sweet guns, my buddy has one, he has put many a deer down with it.

The other one that caught my eye in a pump was the Benelli Nova or Supernova slug guns. Don't know much about them, but they sure do catch the eye.

On semi-auto, I'd have to handle a Mossberg, haven't ever felt one up. Are they gas or inertia? I'm a huge fan of inertia guns, never really liked gas guns due to dirtiness.

The other two big ones are the Browning Auto 5 and the Gold, both of those are sweet looking guns. That and it is Browning, even though I'd be paying for the name, it is one I can trust.

F-C
Old November 11, 2007, 06:35 PM   #14
Triple J

Almost Forgot

Browning A-5 Slug :d:d:d
Old November 11, 2007, 07:47 PM   #15
GrantLee63

Without a doubt, the long discontinued Mossberg 695 Bolt Action Shotgun.

-Unknown
Old November 12, 2007, 10:23 PM   #16
john1911

Another vote for the H&R/NEF single shot slug guns. Accurate, reliable and cheap. If you can't do it with one shot, 2 or 3 more won't help.
Old November 12, 2007, 11:10 PM   #17
FrontSight

Savage Slug Warrior with 2 3/4 Hasting Laser Accurate Slugs. Amazing performance & accuracy, and bolt action dependability. I promise you won't be disapointed
Old November 12, 2007, 11:10 PM   #18
azsixshooter

+1 Rem 870...I hunted for many years in Michigan in some very frigid weather. Never a problem. Gotta love the pump.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old November 13, 2007, 02:50 AM   #19
Niagara Shooter

Browning BPS 12 with brenneke 2 3/4 original mag loads shoots straight a long was as long as you can keep them tiny sights lined up. Browning BPS 20 with 3x9x40 Burris Fullfield brenneke 2 3/4 original again, minimal recoil with deadly performance!

Would really like to own a Tar Hunt or an A-bolt 12 ga!
NS
Old November 14, 2007, 12:38 PM   #20
FirstFreedom

Grant Lee, was that Mossberg 695 a rifled bbl or smooth bore? Thx.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:30 PM   #21
remjeep75

the 695 had a rifle barrell i believe
Old November 15, 2007, 10:09 AM   #22
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-choke
Hmm...I was really thinking semi-auto, but Pump wouldn't be bad either. I'm not a fan of a bolt slug gun, don't know why, just doesn't have an appeal....

On semi-auto, I'd have to handle a Mossberg, haven't ever felt one up. Are they gas or inertia? I'm a huge fan of inertia guns, never really liked gas guns due to dirtiness.
FC,

I have the Mossberg 930, I got a cantilevered scope barrel a couple of weeks ago and last night I picked up a scope for it, this weekend I'm going to sight it in. I've got 5 different slugs to try and see what groups the best at 100yrds, I'll report back on Sunday or Monday.

The Mossberg 930 is a gas gun, but as far as clean up is concerned, it's a non-issue, I use Hoppes Elite foaming gun cleaner, I coat everything and let it sit for 20 - 30 minutes, then "hose everything out" with brake cleaner, spray it down with an air gun, then lightly coat it with CLP... Aside from waiting it takes less than 5 minutes. I've gon as much as 1,100 round before cleanings just to see if it would malfunction, it didn't, I just couldn't take having a filthy gun anymore...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old November 15, 2007, 07:49 PM   #23
kolob10

Shotgun slug accuracy

I once owned a Remington 1100 with a Hastings Paradox rifled barrel. Shooting BRI sabot slugs, it would shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards of 2 1/2"
CTC. It has been my most accurate slug gun and I never had a jam once from that weapon the 11 years I owned it. Good shooting.
Old November 15, 2007, 08:04 PM   #24
94bluerat

My 1100 also has a Hasting Paradox barrel. Cantileiver scope mount Synthetic Monte Carlo stock by speed feed, Nikon 3x9.

Started with BRI's moved up to Barnes expandrers back in 95. I am now on the Winchester Supreme Partition Gold. The Barnes would shoot 1.5 MOA at 100 the Winchesters are 2.5 at 100, but they seem to carry more punch down range.

I have shot deer at 175 yrds with this set-up. However, I have run hundreds of rounds thru it at the range, and over 70 deer with it, so I am extreamly familiar with this weapon.

Good Hunting!
Old November 18, 2007, 08:35 PM   #25
Smitty in CT

I took my Mossberg 930 to the range today

I bought the 24" ported rifled bore barrel with the cantilever scope mount. I bought a Leupold VX-1 at Cabelas so the new rig needed to be sighted in and rung-out...

I have a Mossberg 535 that was my "slug gun", Remington Coppersolids work the best so that's what I used to sight in the 930...

After two boxes of the Coppersolids, I was getting 1" groups at 50 yards, right about the same as the 535...so far so good. Time to take it out to 100 yards.

I started out with the Remington Premier Coppersolid, 2-3/4", 1 oz, 1450 fps, these consistantly grouped at about 3" Not bad....this is what I use for my zero...

Next up were Federal Premium Power Shok, 2-3/4", 1-1/4 oz, 1520 fps, these were about 2" higher than the Remingtons and grouped about the same...right around 3"...

On to the Brenneke, 2-3/4 in, 1 oz Slug, 1600 fps these were all over the place... groups were 5" at best.....Won't repeat with these...

Winchester Supreme Partition Gold Slugs, 2-3/4", 385 grains, 1900 fps -these grouped from 2" - 3" but were about 3" high....

Last up were the ones I had the most hopes for, the Hornady SST's, 2-3/4", 300 grains, 2000 fps. These grouped from 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" but the groups were 8" high, I couldn't believe that these were shooting so much higher, I shot 2 boxes to verify and they grouped great but if I was going to use these I'd have to re-zero my scope....Has anybody else had this happen with the Hornady's??

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that the Mossberg 930 is a great slug gun!! If the 930's trigger were closer to a rifle trigger instead of a shotgun trigger I think I could get the Hornady's down to sub 2" groups.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton