The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 11, 2007, 07:19 PM   #1
SW9mm

firing pin removal marlin 336rc

hello, i have a a marlin 336 rc 30-30 circa 1949. i was taking it down to clean it and noticed the firing pin seemed a little tight. never really paid attention to it before. i have had this rifle for about 10 years bought it from a friend who said it had been in the family forever. he doesn't remember the bolt even being out of it when his family owned it. i do know a stuck pin could cause a discharge so i'd like to take the pin out of the bolt and clean it, but i can't seem to figure it out. i tried tapping out a pin that appears to hold the big fat drop down safety firing pin but it didn't want to move and i did not want to hit too hard. anyone know how to get the firing pin or pins out?
Old August 11, 2007, 08:12 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are two pins, the rear one holds the rear firing pin, the front one (under the extractor) holds the front part. Both are driven out from underneath.

But because of the danger of breaking the extractor, I recommend the front pin not be removed, and in fact, I believe it would be best to not take down the bolt at all. Just get some spray penetrant (I like G96 Gun Treatment) and spray it into the firing pin hole from both ends. Or, if you have something like break free, just soak the bolt in it. Either should free the firing pin from any old dirt or grease without disassembly. Then push up on the rear firing pin and work it and the front pin back and forth.

Jim
Old August 11, 2007, 08:54 PM   #3
SW9mm

thanks jim for the reply i have some break free clp i'll use. is the firing pin spring loaded?
Old August 12, 2007, 08:46 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

No.

Jim