The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 23, 2000, 02:00 AM   #1
ctdonath

I'm considering putting an Optima 2000 on a shotgun (long story; trust me). I fondled one today, with a $268 price tag on it. I've also found an ad for them at $150. (1) Are there different versions that I should be aware of, which could account for the significant price discrepancy? (2) Any problems with using these things on shotguns?
Old December 23, 2000, 08:59 AM   #2
DaMan

I've heard they're father fragile (something you don't want on a shotgun). I was thinking about putting one on a Ruger MkII pistol, because they are quite compact. But I was talked out of it by several people who had them. Even the dealer was trying to talk me into another sight option.

Regards! DaMan
Old December 23, 2000, 04:27 PM   #3
K80Geoff

Optima 2000

I have 2 of them on pistols. One on a .45 1911 and the other on my Sig 220. They work fine but be sure you have a solid mount. Also watch out fot the brass fingers that contact the battery. On my 1911 they worked loose and I had to adjust them to make contact.

There are two versions. One has a larger dot, and might be more usefull on a shotgun.

They are compact and an improvement over the traditional red dot scopes. The dot size is not adjustable but the dot brightness increases as the ambient light gets brighter. The only way to turn them off is to use the plastic cover, otherwise the dot remains on.

Buy them from Midway, they are $150, other catalogs have them much higher.

They work great on my pistols, as my half century plus old eyes cannot focus on iron sights anymore. They will keep old farts like me shooting for a longer time

Geoff Ross
Old December 23, 2000, 11:21 PM   #4
Marcus

There should be no problems mounting one on a shotgun. They`re the only dot sight I`ve ever seen that`s made tough enough to mount to the moving slide of an auto pistol. If they`ll take that they`ll take the recoil of a shotgun no prob. I`ve mounted (EGW mount) and shot one on a Ruger 22/45 and IMO it`s really slick! It doesn`t change the apparent weight or balance of the gun and both precision and speed are much better than with open sights. I wouldn`t mind having a few myself. Marcus
Old December 24, 2000, 11:22 AM   #5
DaMan

Marcus, you've got me curious! What's the EGW mount?

Come to think of it, those who talked about the fragility of the Optima were referring to it's mounting system.

I'd still like to put one on my Ruger Mk II, if I can find a mount that'll hold it solidly in place!

Regards! DaMan
Old December 24, 2000, 11:41 AM   #6
K80Geoff

EGW

Here is their website:

http://www.geocities.com/davidwiz_2000/egw.html

They have a neat cut for 1911s that nmounts the Optima to the slide. I thought about haveing it done to my 1911 but went with a separate mounts instead. If that doesn't work I will go the the slide cut.

Check out the 1911 board, there have been several threads on the Optima there.

http://www.1911forum.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000321.html

If the Optima can survive on the slide of a 1911, a 22/45 should pose no problem as the mounting area on the ruger does not move during recoil.

don't think a shotgun will pose any problems either.

Geoff Ross
Old December 24, 2000, 12:02 PM   #7
DaMan

Geoff, the biggest problem mounting the Optima to the Ruger Mk II was finding a mount! Thanks for posting the EGW site!

Regards! DaMan
Old December 25, 2000, 12:52 PM   #8
house

Yes check out MIDWAY i belive they are on sale in there current AD. i am going to buy one for my Glock.
Old December 26, 2000, 08:36 PM   #9
Marcus

Doh, somebody beat me to it. The EGW mount is really slick and rock solid. The only prob I had installing it is that the bottom of the mount (that fits into the sight dovetail) was a bit oversized and I had to lightly file it in order to get it into the dovetail. No biggie. Marcus