The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 3, 2001, 09:32 PM   #1
Fuzzy

870 rebate

For those who haven't heard, Remington is offering a $25 rebate on all it's 870s. It's good from August 1st to November 15th.

Check it out here: http://www.remington.com/promo/870rebate.htm
Old August 3, 2001, 10:20 PM   #2
AR-10

That might cover the cost of getting rid of the P.C. safety lock, but I doubt it.

Buy used.

And email them, and tell them why.
Old August 4, 2001, 08:10 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Amen, AR-10. Maybe all Big Green needs is a wakeup call, and a new CEO.....
Old August 4, 2001, 12:20 PM   #4
Fuzzy

The safty lock issue doesn't bother me since it wasn't added as part of any 'agreement' with the government. Whether it's CYA or just a feature thay they think some people will want, it doesn't really matter. It still has the best price/performance ratio out there and they can remove the lock from the design any time they want.

I don't see the lock as 'caving in' since, as far as I know, they never signed an agreement with anyone. I didn't notice a price jump when they added the lock and the lock doesn't get in the way, so what's the problem?
Old August 5, 2001, 01:31 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Fuzzy, the new PC lock can be actuated through manipulation, and requires that key to take it off. Not a good idea for a "Serious" shotgun, and a PITA for a sporting shotgun.

In general, QC has gone downhill for Remington. The safety is just part of it, interior parts show more slop and roughness, the PC "Dimples" in the magazine are another questionable item, and Remington has a rep for lousy after purchase and warrenty work.

Even with all this, an 870 is a good shotgun, but they used to be great.....
Old August 5, 2001, 03:54 PM   #6
AR-10

Like Dave says, the lock is of questionable value. It may cause a malfunction of the gun. Not a "feature" I am willing to pay for, or put up with.

I am not advocating a boycott of Remington. I'm just saying that if I was going to buy an 870, I would buy a used one that is less technologically advanced. And I would let Remington know that they lost a sale.

My pre-lock 870 seems safe enough. I can't really see the need for a lock. To me it looks like a CYA answer to a problem that only exists in the minds of people who don't own guns. It wouldn't bother me if Remington had spent the time to design one that functions properly, like Taurus did. At least with a Taurus handgun I can ignore the lock without worrying about it turning itself on.

I think 870's are a great design, but the lock feature is not a plus.
Old August 5, 2001, 04:37 PM   #7
Romulus

Buy used, e-mail them to tell them why, and link them up to threads like these

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old August 5, 2001, 07:51 PM   #8
crow slayer

Like the others before stated,
Buy used
Save 25 (probably more) bucks
get a better product
email Remington and tell them why
Old August 5, 2001, 09:28 PM   #9
JNewell

Unfortunately, it's only good for Express!

I might have gotten tipped into a new PM, but the rebate only applies to the Express line! :-(
Old August 5, 2001, 10:48 PM   #10
Gary H

The lock is not an issue. You buy the gun. Use the supplied key to activate the safety and then throw away the keys. Now you are done. The gun acts and is exactly as it was pre-key. I can't address the quality of workmanship compared to years ago.
Old August 6, 2001, 05:39 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gary, the lock can be bumped or manipulated to ON. It needs the key to turn it off. A bad idea AND a bad design.

Remington dropped the ball here. Even IF there was an interest in a lockable gun from the consumers, this was a lousy way to do it.
Old August 6, 2001, 09:56 AM   #12
Gary H

Dave:

I've got three guns with the lock, so it will be interesting to see if this happens. If it can happen, that would be a bad design. How many out there have had this problem? Has the lock turned itself back on?
Old August 6, 2001, 11:28 AM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The prob's been reported, and in my experience was, that pressure from both sides simulteanously puts the lock on, requiring the key be used before firing. Easy enough to happen,and hard enough to clear. An unneeded modification of doubtful worth, my unlocked 870s are up to 50 years old and well used, w/o any incident that would indicate a keyed safety is a bad idea.

Big Green could have given away cable or trigger locks,spend little/no money doing so, and come out ahead.

And I'm not advocating any boycott either. But, getting a used 870 may mean better workmanship and a smooth stroke. Letting Remington know you regard their newer products as inferior to the olds ones is valuable customer input to help them correct anything that needs it.I think they'd want to know....

Dismounting from soapbox....