The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 7, 2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Kimbercommander

Rusting Bad

I purchased a Kimber M8400 Long Action police tactical in .300 win mag a few months back and since deer season i cant seem to kill the rust that popped up on the barrel. I have taken to rubbing down with number 9 oil every other day as seems to be the only thing that stops it. Now most of my previous weapons i have just sprayed with a textured Rustolium spray paint because it has proven to be extremely durable. I use my weapons and they get beat up quite a bit. Is there any products that anyone can recommend for this? I live in Idaho but will be moving to oregon soon where it rains and snows much more often. I do not care about having a "pretty" weapon.
Old October 7, 2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Scorch

There are a couple of oils I use here in the shop: Militec 1 and Eezox. Both work great for stopping rust.
Old October 7, 2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Beretta686

It must be something with Kimbers. When I went through my 1911 phase I had a Desert Warrior and an Eclipse Pro II that would both rust on the barrel, regardless of whatever preventative maintenance I did.

That and them not feeding reliably, made be ditch them for a Sig P229 and a Glock 21SF respectively none of which rust.

Too bad Glock doesn't make a rifle.....

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 7, 2013, 10:06 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It may not be practical all the time, but one of the best ways to kill active rust is to boil the item in distilled water. Even the best oil will often just cover the rust to let it break out at some other time.

Jim
Old October 8, 2013, 12:14 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Beeman sells a product called Beeman MP-5 Metalophilic Oil. It does an excellent job of preventing rust. It should not be used as a lubricant, in my opinion. It's too thin, and it will dry.

Boeshield T9 is supposed to be a superior corrosion preventive, but I've not tried it myself.
Old October 8, 2013, 05:21 AM   #6
mehavey

You've tried BreakFree CLP and it didn't work?

That has always been my successful-go-to-do-all problem solver,
unequaled until I recently began using WeaponShield, tested HERE

Last edited by mehavey; October 8, 2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old October 8, 2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Kimbercommander

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try a few. It seems that kimbers are having this perticular problem quite a bit. Im just going to have a hard coating put on it and then lube the **** out of the internals.
Old October 9, 2013, 01:53 PM   #8
guncrank

Rusting Bad

Paste wax
Old October 10, 2013, 11:07 AM   #9
precision_shooter

I wipe my rifles down with a rag with some Breakfree CLP, then use a silcon embedded cloth to wipe them down a final time. Haven't had any issues with rust if I remember to do this every time when i get back home.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 10, 2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Don P

Just my thought best way to prevent rust is use RIG grease. I haven't found anything that works better at preventing rust.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 12, 2013, 11:41 AM   #11
ocharry

just a thought......

back in the old days when i was building custom muzzle loaders and i was using a browning solution to ,,,rust the barrel and othere parts on purpose,,,after the solution had done its magic i would wash the parts in hot water to nutralize it and dry thouroghly,,,,i would then warm the barrel and parts...you can do it in the sun on a warm day,,,the metal will get pretty warm,,,i used a warming cabinet,,,,after the metal gets good and warm to the touch, i put a thin coat of linseed oil on it to seal the pours,,they are warm and open,,,,let it dry,,,put the rifle together and oil as normal,,,,the linseed oil will dry and seal the surface,,,this could take a couple days,,don't get in a hurry ,,,let it dry,,,just put it on get the barrel covered well and wipe it off with a paper towel,,,,very thin coat is what you want

i have rifles in my safe that are 25 yrs old and they look just like they did when i built them,,other than normal wear from shooting them,,,still have the nice brown on the metal

you may not want to do this,,, but it will work and seal the metal,,,rust needs oxigen to form,,,,this is just old school but still works

my .02 YMMV

ocharry
Old October 12, 2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Old Stony

I have used a sheep skin rag with Rig on for years and it always does the job. You can buy a tub of Rig and reapply it to the fuzzy skin when it needs it. I keep one on top of my safe, and one on my workbench to wipe the guns down whenever I handle them. Water will bead up on any metal surface treated with Rig....and no rust.