The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 8, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Khaot1c

Need help finding rifle twist for a Rem 788 22-250

A Remington 788 has been handed down to me from my grandparents.
I'd like to find out what the rifle twist is in the barrel.

I don't know when it was purchased - sorry I can't be of any help, and the folks that purchased it aren't alive any more to ask.....

The barrel doesn't have anything scribed except their;
Remington Arms Co Inc, IION, NY, Made in USA
and the chamber; 22-250

closer to the receiver are the marks;
9P P 41

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Old March 8, 2013, 11:15 PM   #2
jimbob86

Measure it yourself:

Set the rifle in something to secure it (gun vise, sand bags) in a horizontal position.

Remove the bolt.

Put a properly fitting bore brush on a cleaning rod longer than the barrel, with a handle that allows the rod to turn.

Insert the brush into the breech end of the barrel and push until it starts to turn.

Take a sharpie and make a mark on the topside (12 o'clock) of the cleaning rod at at point that can referenced to the gun, say even with the buttplate.

Push the cleaning rod into the bore. It will turn (most American rifling turns right) ...... watch your mark you made.

When it makes one complete turn and comes back to 12 o'clock, make another mark on the top of the rod at the same reference point you chose earlier.

Push the cleaning rod all the way out the muzzle (changing directions mid bore is bad ju-ju) and either remove the brush or pull it back throgh..... either way, remove the rod from the gun and measure the distance between your two 12 o'clock marks ...... your barrel's rifling makes on turn in _x_ inches, x being the number of inches between your marks.

Hope that helps.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Sport45

Good advice above.

I use a jag and patch which can be reversed in the barrel. Make your 12 o'clock mark on the handle end of the rod. Get it started in the rifling and make a mark at the end of the receiver (or muzzle if you go from that end). Mark it again when the mark on the end of the rod has made one complete revolution. Remove the rod and measure between the marks.

I do it this way because the index mark is always visible and hasn't (usually) passed my reference point on the rifle.

On some you have to measure a half a revolution and multiply by two... My 1 in 38 Marlin comes to mind.
Old March 9, 2013, 01:36 AM   #4
BIG P

Mines 1 in 12 if that helps.
Old March 9, 2013, 02:23 AM   #5
Scorch

A 788 in 22-250 should be a 1:14" twist.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Picher

I'm pretty sure that all early Rem .22-250s were 1:14, but it doesn't hurt to measure yours to be sure.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Bart B.

Found this source of twists for all sorts of things:

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...bles_Rifle.pdf

It says your barrel's got a 1"14 twist. Same as the rifling twist section in my Sierra Bullets loading manual.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:46 AM   #8
Khaot1c

Thanks all for the good info.

Though all the reading from the last couple of days suggests 1/14". Stil, I'll try the jag/patch, rotating cleaning rod trick in the morning.

Thanks again,
Old March 10, 2013, 02:45 PM   #9
w748

Mine is 1/14. Limit your ammo choices to 55gr or lighter and I think you'll be surprized how accurate these can be( once you get used to the trigger).
I have one hunting load with Sierra #1390 and IMR 4320 that's an honest 1/3 MOA for three shots.