The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 30, 2009, 11:58 PM   #1
roy reali

Count Down

Who is counting down the hours to the dove opener? I am, even though I live in an area where dove hunting is not the best. It is a hit or miss proposition around here. I have seen some birds in one desert area that is being used by them in later hours.

Lets keep thread going for reports. I would like to hear from other dove hunters about luck or lack of it.

Thanks.

Here is alink that will help keep you focused.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourning_dove
Old August 31, 2009, 08:12 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not a dove buster just because the shell cost to meat value offset is too high... But I will stop at a field full of hunters and see how they are doing... Heck usually end up with info and/or new buddies out of it...
Brent
Old August 31, 2009, 12:37 PM   #3
SgtMeatballs

I'm definatly counting down for dove season...

This will be my first, and I have been looking forward to this for almost a year and a half!

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Old August 31, 2009, 01:22 PM   #4
snipecatcher

I absolutely love dove hunting. If you've never done it, get a group of friends together and hit the fields. It's one of the few types of hunting where you can sit around and talk while you are waiting on your quarry to show. Around here, season starts September 18, and the limit has been increased to 15, making it that much harder to get your limit in a box. Woohoo!
-Dan
Old September 2, 2009, 07:20 AM   #5
roy reali

Lousy first day dove hunting. The first spot I went to I did not even fire the gun. No birds flying anywhere in sight. There was some shooting going off in the distance though.

The second spot I went to was a little better. I did get a few shots off at dove, but no hits. There was a lot of shooting in this area. Should have went here first.

Better luck next time.
Old September 3, 2009, 04:43 PM   #6
ks_wayward_son

Popped quite a few rounds the last few days here in central Kansas. I'm not that great of a shot, but felt good to bump the shoulder a bit. Hoping to hit the field again this eve.

Good hunt'n everybody.
Old September 6, 2009, 07:14 AM   #7
roy reali

Better

Yesterday I did a little bit better. A few more birds and I actually hit some. The neatest thing about the hunt was the air support I got.

As I was walking around, my dog would go examine brush piles. When she did, quail and bunnies would come out of them. Both animals are off-season at this time, at least for human hunters. Birds on the other hand down follow seasons.

Several hawks started to folllow my dog around. They were flying right above her as she went into the brush piles. One even was landing on the brush piles as she approached them. They were swooping down on the critters she was flushing out. They has figured out that by following my dog around easy meals could be had. They were flying so close to my dog that I even started to worry at first. I was scared that they were on the war path against the dog. Even though I would normally never, ever shoot a bird of prey, I figured if they endangered my dog, all bets were off.

You have to respect fellow hunters, even ones covered with feathers.
Old September 6, 2009, 04:50 PM   #8
lizziedog1

The dove action around here has been pretty slow. I did experience something fun today. A friend let me try his 28 gauge. A dove was heading towards us and I nailed it dead on. In fact, it landed a few feet from my feet. I guess a 12 gauge isn't needed to kill small fragile birds after all.
Old September 6, 2009, 04:57 PM   #9
rantingredneck

I had a 100% day yesterday. One dove for every shot I fired.

Of course I only fired one shot .

Went to a public field in Scotland Co. NC. Have hunted there off and on the last 4 years or so. We had a good private spot last year, but development has put an end to that. Hit the public field. Had one dove fly over my little slice of the field at 12:30. One shot fired one dove down. The only thing I saw to shoot at for the next couple hours.

When I left around 3:00 PM the corner of the field looked like a used 4x4 dealership.

Not going tomorrow as I've had enough of the public land BS thanks. I'll do a private land paid hunt next year before I deal with that again. Taking my kids to a water park tomorrow instead.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 6, 2009, 09:49 PM   #10
roy reali

re:ratingredneck

Quote:
When I left around 3:00 PM the corner of the field looked like a used 4x4 dealership.
I remember those days fondly.