The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 27, 1999, 03:57 AM   #1
TABING

Location: White Mountains, AZ & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Since I got my C & R ffl I've been shooting lots of corrosive ammo. Trouble is, everyone I ask has a different opinion on bore cleaning.
Hot soapy water is no doubt good, but not always convenient in the field, and I don't want to worry about water getting under the wood and in inaccessable places.

I've been told that sudsy ammonia-water mixture is good, but also told it's not, because the ammonia is just gas and real ammonia is only available from chemical supply houses, if at all.

Next is Hoppes #9 which I've told was specifically developed to nuetralize water attracting salts.

So what's the deinitive answer!
Old November 27, 1999, 06:51 AM   #2
Jim V

I have used CLENSOIL in the field with corrosive ammo, get done shooting and swab the barrel out. I have also taken a small plastic bottle full of soapy water with me to use. Wet down a patch or two and swab the barrel.

CTD or Sportsman Guide have offered solvents for corrosive ammo in the past.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Old November 27, 1999, 08:58 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Tabing, you could also use Hoppe's Black Powder Solvent, or Spit Patch, any solvent that BP shooters clean with should work well. George
Old November 27, 1999, 03:40 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

For blackpowder shooting, I wipe my bore down with denatured alcohol. It cuts the residue really easily, evaporates quickly, and doesn't promote rust. You can but it at any paint store.
Old November 27, 1999, 05:26 PM   #5
BBINJ

U.S. Rifle Bore Cleaner, MIL-C-372B. Know what else is good? Cow's milk, as fresh from ol' bossie as you can get it. The reason for this, as Howe describes in his book, is cow's milk is a great mixture of oil & water. Hmmm...come to think of it, a modern water soluble metalworking fluid such as Trim-Sol would be ideal. Any CNC or grinding shop would probally turn you onto a coffee can full for peanuts, I'd mix it about 3 water to 1 Trim-Sol for this application - scrub like hell, dry the bore, follow w/ some good 'ol #9, and put the piece up with a coat of #9 in the bore. Repeat daily for 3 days following (just like you'd do with anything else you're using), and check the bolt face to make sure no sewage is dripping onto it and rotting it.