The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2006, 12:42 AM   #1
Peeweester40

Help Deciding-Kahr K9 or CW9

I seem to have gotten the pistol itch (bad) and I've been courting a Kahr K9 and a CW9 at different local shops. The CW9 is NIB for $469 (I know, prolly a little high). The K9 is 95%+ with the dark matte finish, Hogue grip panels, no box/papers and one mag for $450. I've read all of the threads in the recent past about Kahrs reliability, an apparent need for shooting a new one in sometimes and the one or two disgruntled with their customer service. The difference in the weights between the two are not an issue for me, unless the CW9's polymer is inferior to other makes as far as frame reliability. I'm just looking for something thinner to carry than my G23. Which, in your opinion would I get more bang on my buck with?

I don't really need one, yes, yes I do.......handgun collecting is an illness, isn't it?

This is the big one Elizabeth, I'm coming to see you honey!
Old January 7, 2006, 12:50 AM   #2
Candiru

I traded a P9 (pretty much a CW9) for a K9. The steel-framed Kahrs have a better reputation for reliability, but to me it seems a wash. What mattered to me was the K9's milder recoil, wider grips (and the ability to fit it with wood grips), and greater longevity due to the steel frame. Admittedly, you need a good belt to handle its weight.
Old January 7, 2006, 05:09 AM   #3
BradS

Just curious, have you considered an MK9. I purchased one as a BUG and am very impressed, as was the rangemaster. I like the feel of the all metal . The weapon is very accurate and the trigger is awsome. Just a thought.
Old January 7, 2006, 09:20 AM   #4
FirstFreedom

I can't help you with that particular decision, but I doubt you could go wrong. Sanford & Sons allusion; ha, ha - no one under 35 will get it though. I too love my MK9 - definitely very concealable & thin, and as mentioned, all-steel give it a nice feel when shooting. The MK 9093-BOX retails for around $399 new.
Old January 7, 2006, 10:14 AM   #5
Eric Larsen

Hands down the K9.......hands down.
Shoot well.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old January 8, 2006, 09:56 AM   #6
kahrcarry

Although it pains me to do so, as I prefer polymer frame guns for carry (I carry a CW9), I would have to say to grab the K9. If it appears to be in good shape (the 95%+ you gave it), $450 is a pretty good price. Talk them down to $400-$415, and it's a steal. If you decide to go with the CW9, don't fear the frame. It's the exact same frame as found on the P9. No difference in the polymer, at all.
Old January 8, 2006, 10:00 AM   #7
kahrcarry

Oh, and by the way -- $469 is more than a "little" high for a CW9, in my opinion. Around here, they generally sell for $379, and the P9 goes for $449. Just another reason that I would pass on the CW9 in favor of the K9, in your case.
Old January 8, 2006, 09:58 PM   #8
Peeweester40

"I would have to say to grab the K9. If it appears to be in good shape (the 95%+ you gave it), $450 is a pretty good price."

It is in good shape and I'm still torn between the two, even with the CW9 being more than it should be, it's still new. Another thing I've been wondering......I think I read somewhere that the earlier K9's were made from carbon steel. Is there a SN range that would ID it as stainless or not, or otherwise how would I tell?
Old January 9, 2006, 06:02 AM   #9
Nail Shooter

by Peeweester40:

"The K9 is 95%+ with the dark matte finish, Hogue grip panels, no box/papers and one mag for $450."

If it is an EARLY K9 (carbon steel--not s.s.) I'd pass. The finish on these was absolute crap--thinnest, least scratch resistant, and easiest to rust that I've ever seen on a handgun. I think these came w/ two mags--you're missing one--genuine Kahr mags are expensive.
I have an early MK9 that is a good gun. I'd buy a K9 cause I think they're cool, but only seem to be running into the black ones for sale used.

NS