The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 23, 2000, 05:38 PM   #1
Erik

Anyone here hunt elk using open sights. I know a few people who do, and they are trying to sway me away from scopes toward the more "traditional" rifles with open sights. (Non-black powder- Marlin and Winchester lever actions, Ruger #1s , Sharps rifles, ect) I'd appreciate arguments for or against so I can make the best decision.

Erik
Old March 23, 2000, 05:44 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, how good do you shoot with open sights? Can you hit a beer can at 100 yards, fairly regularly, offhand? Almost every time, from a rest?

How well can you see, during those legal shooting hours called "first light" or "almost dark"? Well enough to tell a fella from an elk? Are you sure?

In good light, and "up close and personal" for a rifle, iron sights are fine. Only you know your skill level. I don't.

Best luck, Art
Old March 23, 2000, 11:59 PM   #3
Ankeny

I have killed elk with bow, pistol and black powder. Sure, you can use open sights, just realize that you are placing severe limitations on yourself and be prepared to pass on less than ideal shots.

I have watched more than one mature bull walk away at under 40 yards because I couldn't take the shot and I find it a challenge. Are you willing to pass up that once in a lifetime bull...